New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    good day.

here's my story. medyo mahaba pero please bear with me.

we went on a trip to cavite last saturday and was already on our way home. we stopped by a shell gas station for lunch. when i got back to thje car, it just won't start. the in-house mechanic told me na yung fuel pump ang problem. he managed to repair the pump, just enough for us to get back home.

i got a replacement pump and had the fuel filter changed. my mechanic adjusted my distributor to "have a better timing" daw, and further adjusted my throtle, incresing my idling. since i'm not aware of the consequences i just let him do the adjustment. he's quite respected in the neighborhood, being a senior mech at that.

then the problem began.

during my test drive, the car was a little rev-happy, shooting up past the 2000 rpm mark quickly at 2nd gear pero parang walang hatak. when i got to open road and was already on 4th gear, the car was jerking forward, parang sinisinok yun engine ko. i decided to get back home pero halfway on my journey my RPM dropped, and eventually my engine stopped . i was lucky it fired up again to get me home.

my mechanic got to me later and adjusted the distributor again (im on a carb-engine). the test drive now feels better, may hatak na ko sa 1st to 3rd gear, pero still shaky. when i get to 4th gear and stepped on the pedal mabilis acceleration, but when i get to 60kph the engine refuses to accelerate, the jerking returns and my RPM is pegged at 2000. ayaw nang tumaas ng rpm ko.

my mechanic said baka daw may problem na timing belt ko (that was replaced for only a year and a half), and wants to open up the engine to check the belt this weekend.

i want to solicit your opinions on this matter. the car was in tip-top shape before i had trouble with my fuel pump. timing belt nga ba problema? are there other factors to consider?

thanks in advance and more power to all

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield_08 View Post
    good day.

here's my story. medyo mahaba pero please bear with me.

we went on a trip to cavite last saturday and was already on our way home. we stopped by a shell gas station for lunch. when i got back to thje car, it just won't start. the in-house mechanic told me na yung fuel pump ang problem. he managed to repair the pump, just enough for us to get back home.

i got a replacement pump and had the fuel filter changed. my mechanic adjusted my distributor to "have a better timing" daw, and further adjusted my throtle, incresing my idling. since i'm not aware of the consequences i just let him do the adjustment. he's quite respected in the neighborhood, being a senior mech at that.

then the problem began.

during my test drive, the car was a little rev-happy, shooting up past the 2000 rpm mark quickly at 2nd gear pero parang walang hatak. when i got to open road and was already on 4th gear, the car was jerking forward, parang sinisinok yun engine ko. i decided to get back home pero halfway on my journey my RPM dropped, and eventually my engine stopped . i was lucky it fired up again to get me home.

my mechanic got to me later and adjusted the distributor again (im on a carb-engine). the test drive now feels better, may hatak na ko sa 1st to 3rd gear, pero still shaky. when i get to 4th gear and stepped on the pedal mabilis acceleration, but when i get to 60kph the engine refuses to accelerate, the jerking returns and my RPM is pegged at 2000. ayaw nang tumaas ng rpm ko.

my mechanic said baka daw may problem na timing belt ko (that was replaced for only a year and a half), and wants to open up the engine to check the belt this weekend.

i want to solicit your opinions on this matter. the car was in tip-top shape before i had trouble with my fuel pump. timing belt nga ba problema? are there other factors to consider?

thanks in advance and more power to all

trusted mechanic? brother, you found yourself a hawaiian mechanic, a hula hula one. were there diagnostic checks done? what was the fuel pressure? fuel volume per minute? what was the base ignition timing? what was the centrifugal spark advance? the age of the mechanic does not necessarily equate to good experience. who knows he had been doing wrong for the last 30 years or so. find a good trained, experienced and equipped technician.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by barako ba ma View Post
    trusted mechanic? brother, you found yourself a hawaiian mechanic, a hula hula one.
    that's a good one... hehehe

can you recommend reliable shops out there that may provide solutions to my problem?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Typical garage mechanic mentality, sabihin mo huwag ka singilin kapag ok pa ang timing belt mo otherwise sa iba ka pumunta.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Di pwede basta basta galawin ang timing sir. D na po un iaadjust kung nagpalit lang or nagrepair ng fuel pump. Wala namang kinalaman ung dalawa sa isat isa. Ang fuel pump, fuel system un, while ung sa timing ng distributor ignition system un. Malamang nagmamarunong lang ung "mechanic" mo.

Maghanap ka ng mekaniko na may timing light para maibalik sa tamang degrees ung distributor. Malamang nawala na yan sa orig settings dahil mukhang kinapakapa lang ng "mekaniko" mo at hindi ginamitan ng timing light. In the first place, d naman dapat kse galawin ang timing pagnagrepair ng f.pump.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    thanks sa mga reply guys.

i think the most logical thing for me now is to bring my car to the casa nearest me to adjust the timing.

thanks ulit.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I think the problem based on the facts given by the owner of the car, is a fuel starvation problem when the car reaches around 60kph, he has a borderline problem, which will not appears on idle. They had already change the fuel pump but, it seems the problem has not been corrected. BARAKo MA Ba is right, with these kind of problem you must have a fuel pump pressure tester as well as a volume test should be done, to find out exactly what was causing the problem.

Experienced, with the proper diagnostic tools, and techniques develop by an auto technician can spot these problems accurately.

1995 Civic LX timing problem