New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Can anybody suggest a machine shop or mechanic who does repair on cylinder head water passages that have eroded close to the combustion chamber. Preferably near the Cubao area. mine caused a gasket failure on my Toyota 2E. thank you.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goldrat View Post
    Can anybody suggest a machine shop or mechanic who does repair on cylinder head water passages that have eroded close to the combustion chamber. Preferably near the Cubao area. mine caused a gasket failure on my Toyota 2E. thank you.

corrosion on the cylinder head is mainly caused by improper coolant or antifreeze/coolant that hasn't been replaced over two years( toyota uses ethylene glycol). your best remedy is to replace the cylinder head whether used or brand new. the cylinder head shouldn't have been resurfaced thinner by 0.020" (twainty thousandths of an inch). engines that are bimetallic(2E) gets electrolysis which causes aluminum, the weaker metal to corrode and is visible at the coolant recovery bottle in the form of aluminum gel. you can measure the voltage between the cast iron engine block and the aluminum cylinder head. this very small voltage ( galvanic voltage) causes the elecrolysis of the softer metal getting "eaten away'. when you have had the engine repaired,install a good known thermostat, the proper antifreeze/coolant solution and replace the solution every two years.

cylinder head repair