New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I recently had an oil change at servitek, the oil they used was mobil special (cheapest oil they probably had), the oil is rated SG. I realized later on that the car manual specified to use at least oil rated SH, would there be any bad effects if I keep using the lower rated oil for the next 1000km?

The only reason I opted for a cheap oil change is due to an oil leak in my distributor, I'll have the leak fixed within the next couple of weeks and then probably have another oil change, most likely royal purple 20w-50.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For 1000 kms, it might be safe... but you never know... best not take any chances at all.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    For 1000 kms, it might be safe... but you never know... best not take any chances at all.
    agree. it would strain the engine dahil baka manipis sya after reaching the 1k kms mark.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    SG? They are still using those?

Even the cheapest ones found in your average hardware store has at least an SL rating nowadays.

IMO - have your oil leak fixed ASAP so that you can replace your oil.

bigbigcar.com Review: Mercedes-Benz C200 Kompressor Avantgarde

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    the 20w50 will make the engine run a bit heavy. i suggest using a 10w40. that oil should be ok naman if you don't plan to leave it in too long.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d View Post
    I recently had an oil change at servitek, the oil they used was mobil special (cheapest oil they probably had), the oil is rated SG. I realized later on that the car manual specified to use at least oil rated SH, would there be any bad effects if I keep using the lower rated oil for the next 1000km?

The only reason I opted for a cheap oil change is due to an oil leak in my distributor, I'll have the leak fixed within the next couple of weeks and then probably have another oil change, most likely royal purple 20w-50.
    For much efficient (per company) use a 5w20. This is what I used for my 05 honda accord v6 vtech. I changed my motor oil every 3500 miles but Honda company advice is 7500 miles. Mura lang naman ang motor oil kaya okey lang na mas maaga. Besides my car is 100,000 miles or ten years bumper to bumper waranty whichever came first, so anything happen Im covered.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    V6dreamer,

The 5w20 may be ok for the US, but its too thin for the Philippines.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah, hard din to find a 20 weight oil here. was thinking of bringing some in since engines like the new 3.8 v6 in the new eclipse and pajero also require the use of a 20 weight oil pero it really might be a bit too thin for our local climate and driving conditions.

engine oil quality