New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Anyone tried using products like Gumout or CRC intake valve cleaner? I'm nearing 20k Km and I'm thinking of ordering and using the Gumout intake valve cleaner to spray and clean some of the carbon deposits for maintenance. Just want to know if any tried using these kind of products and had issues with it.

BTW the car has gas turbo direct injection.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Anyone tried using products like Gumout or CRC intake valve cleaner? I'm nearing 20k Km and I'm thinking of ordering and using the Gumout intake valve cleaner to spray and clean some of the carbon deposits for maintenance. Just want to know if any tried using these kind of products and had issues with it.

i have never had it done on our car.
    we just do the italian tune-up. it's also more delicious.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    I also do that once in a while. Extremely fun.

But I'm thinking.. maybe its not enough. Wala pa akong alam na shop na nagtatanggal ng carbon deposits dito sa Pinas. And the carbon deposit issue on intake valves of DI engines is real and inevitable...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    I also do that once in a while. Extremely fun.

But I'm thinking.. maybe its not enough. Wala pa akong alam na shop na nagtatanggal ng carbon deposits dito sa Pinas. And the carbon deposit issue on intake valves of DI engines is real and inevitable...
    Try GDR Technics
    72 Shorthorn, Project 8
    0922 878 1527

Please mention that I recommended them 😊

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    doc, even if you do the italian tune up on a DI engine. it wont help as the injectors are past the intake valves. Toyotas and some fords have dual injection (port and direct injection)to fixed this issue. while some hyundais&kias have gone back to port injection instead of GDI(direct injection).

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    doc, even if you do the italian tune up on a DI engine. it wont help as the injectors are past the intake valves. Toyotas and some fords have dual injection (port and direct injection)to fixed this issue. while some hyundais&kias have gone back to port injection instead of GDI(direct injection).
    That is true. Fuel won't reach the back of the intake valves, therefore there won't be anything to clean it.

The theory behind italian tune up for DI as I recall, is that "supposedly" you run the engine hard long enough so that the engine produces enough heat to melt the carbon deposits off. I'm not entirely convinced that its enough or it even works at all.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    That is true. Fuel won't reach the back of the intake valves, therefore there won't be anything to clean it.

The theory behind italian tune up for DI as I recall, is that "supposedly" you run the engine hard long enough so that the engine produces enough heat to melt the carbon deposits off. I'm not entirely convinced that its enough or it even works at all.
    ah yes driving 5000rpm for an extended period.. but how for long? maybe get a USB boroscope? see how it looks before and after?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015

They'll help, won't be thorough, & would risk fouling plugs. If you want the proper intake cleaning....walnut blasting is the way to go. You'll need make/model specific blasting equipment & adapters.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i don't know.
    i've never had our car "cleaned" in any other way.
    and as far as i know, the engine still works fine.

what about techron?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    i don't know.
    i've never had our car "cleaned" in any other way.
    and as far as i know, the engine still works fine.

what about techron?
    Techron works fine in port injected engines, does nothing in DI intakes, doc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast