New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    is it alright to mix a liter of kerosene for a full tank of diesel? Somebody says it has the effect of cleaning the fuel line, like nipple tips and for the engine added power.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moneylai View Post
    is it alright to mix a liter of kerosene for a full tank of diesel? Somebody says it has the effect of cleaning the fuel line, like nipple tips and for the engine added power.

kerosene can be a substitute for diesel. the military had been using jp4 (jet propellant 4) and jp8 for their ground support equipment. jp8 is nothing but high grade kerosene. but as far as cleaning the fuel line or the nozzle tips, is another story. there are formulations that you can purchase to add to the diesel fuel to clean your tank, lines and nozzles

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    kerosene is similar to Jet A-1. So it use for Jet engines not for reciprocating engines

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi before this is during the 90's i had an mitsu L300 diesel.. i used to actually

regular ko itong ginagawa i fill in 25% kerosene whenever i fill in my diesel.

feedback ng mga tao iba iba some say it will ruin my injection pump some say naman it can minimize smoke etc..

ang observe ko lang nabawas usok and after doing it for many years until nabenta ko yung L300 d naman nasira engine or injection pump.

by the way yung L300 ko noon yung mga unang labas pa d pa sya power steering.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    when rudolf diesel first built his engine, it was designed to run on peanut oil. during the second world war, when there was no diesel #2 supply, my dad used to run agricultural stationary diesel engines for rice mill on coconut oil.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Opinion ko lang:

Kunting halo ng kerosene sa diesel oil ay ok lang. Ang alam ko ay ang gasolina hindi dapat mahalo sa diesel. Sariling eksperiensya ko, pag nahaloan ng medyo maraming gasolina and diesel oil then use to engine with aluminum piston ang piston top ay masisira. Pinaka delikado ay mabutas ang piston. Seen this before in yanmar generator engine.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I had a 1963 Mercedes-Benz 190D with the original owner's manuals.

The engine was an 2.0 liter OM621-III diesel.

In the section on winter driving it actually advises you to mix kerosene with the diesel if it gets very cold - in order to help avoid freezing of the fuel.

Up to 50% by volume kerosene could be added if needed.

It also said you could not do this in Britain due to TAX reasons.

This was an ancient diesel engine with very sensitive fuel injection equipment.

If the manual actually recommended it, you can draw your own conclusions.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    I had a 1963 Mercedes-Benz 190D with the original owner's manuals.

The engine was an 2.0 liter OM621-III diesel.

In the section on winter driving it actually advises you to mix kerosene with the diesel if it gets very cold - in order to help avoid freezing of the fuel.

Up to 50% by volume kerosene could be added if needed.

It also said you could not do this in Britain due to TAX reasons.

This was an ancient diesel engine with very sensitive fuel injection equipment.

If the manual actually recommended it, you can draw your own conclusions.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

this is no fairytale, this had been done in the past. only known to the few, hehehehe, now you know if the diesel #2 is more expensive than kerosene, you know what to do. haven't you guys heard of biodiesel yet? you can collect waste oil from mcdonald's, burger king, denny's, dunkin' do'nuts, jollibee and all the fast fat foods outlets for your diesel engine
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; April 15th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You can actually mix vegetable oil and stuff (biodiesel homebrew and stuff) with older diesel engines.

Not sure of kerosene but 2T oil does well for older non-lucas fuel pump for diesel engine. My "ancient" diesel car (1996 Hilux Surf) has been recorded to run on straight vegetable oil. I run it with 500ml 2T per tank full.

Some brew of biodiesel has kerosene added to increase viscosity.

With newer CRDI and D4D engines, it is not advisable.

Why is this relevant? In a disaster, while most cars become useless, a diesel engine can run on cooking oil mixed with or without white spirit (thinner). These remain uncontaminated in sealed containers. Possibilities.

kerosene as fuel