New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    first of all happy new year to all !!! i need your experties

just broke my engine due to broken bolt of the secunia which hold the timing belt..my engine is lancer 99 1.3L (carb)

1. would you recommend over hauling considering the cost?? and how much it will cost??

2. replace with japan surplus engine? can i get the exact engine details of my original?? how much is the engine??

3. if ever i replace the engine is it possible that i use the injected type??would there be any problem with the mounthing?

4. how much the engine replacement at LTO?

thank you so much. i badly need your help.. this is my only car with a tight budget i have to plan everything ..i am a fan of this forum and very happy that many of the members do helps!!! MORE power to tsikot and MODERATORS.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    If this happens while driving in an interference engine ,you wont drive very far, it will quickly stop running,and possibly bend a few valves in the head, not to mention possible piston damage also,anytime one breaks on an interference engine it will hurt them.

Here's how....
    When the belt breaks on interference engine the timing sequence of the entire valve train will cause massive danage and failure to the valves and pistons. The timing belt is just that. It opens and closes the valves in the correct sequence of the general movement of the cycles of a four stroke engine #.1 Intake, #2. Compression, #3. Ignition, #4. Exhaust. When the timing belt breaks The valves stop moving up and down in the correct sequence of the rotation of the camshaft. For a very few seconds the crankshaft continues to rotate the connecting rods and pistons up and down slaming into the open out of phase valves till the engine destroys itself and completely stops running.

Your's is 99 model more than likely NOT an "interference engine" though ,there wasn't man of them built after the mid,90s. So it may be ok, you might need to look in a manual though to find out if it is,the owners manual provides some of this information,in the back under maintenance it should tell about it. I hope your's is not an interference engine. Go ahead and pull out that bolts and install a new belt. Good luck

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    thank you v6dreamer for your reply.just this morning a fren of mine's mechanic saw my engine he said even if the sicunia is the only problem it has to be machine fit..it cost almost 15k plus the labor(8k)-"parang over hauling din daw".is the labor just right for the job? im considering looking for a japan replacement engine but i dont have any idea how much it will cost(engine + labor) thank you mga sir!

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    if you want to gain power and new look and feel, change engine. take note that the cost of this would be higher than regular overhaul. why? tendency is once you have acquired your new engine (specially if surplus), you'll definitely overhaul it. not just overhaul, but blueprint it to factory specs if you have the manual.

if you want to maintain your original engine and want to save on cost, just do the regular overhaul. just be sure to have measurements made and compared with the manual. if you decide to take this route, there is a catch. be sure you still have a good block and head. if you have a cracked block, then proceed with the change engine. kung head lang naman, just get a surplus head and have it overhauled as well.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    thank you spyghost for the reply...i just replaced my engine with 4g15 due damage head and secunia which it will cost too much with out assurance of gaining the original power..so i got the new surplus engine...very good results idle like a sleeping baby and runs like new... tnks again till next time!!!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    ei, where did you buy the engine?

do they have one for corollas?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    hi hitman i got it from banawe baltak surplus you have wide of engine to pick

good luck.. mine shes now running like a new born beast

hope this helps

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    hi, can you post the exact address of baltak in banawe? i'm having the same dilemna, but mine is a toyota corolla...

i need a 2e engine...

somebody advised me to change from 2e to 5a, do you think it's ok?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    wonder if they have 4g63t?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by linova View Post
    hi, can you post the exact address of baltak in banawe? i'm having the same dilemna, but mine is a toyota corolla...

i need a 2e engine...

somebody advised me to change from 2e to 5a, do you think it's ok?
    my suggestion is to have a compression test first to make sure that the engine really needs an overhaul/replacement.

overhaul or replace new engine