New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    i don't usually post here because i know that my problem could have been discussed already but after weeks of searching i still can't find any thread having similar situation as mine.so here it goes.

i have a corolla 91 with a 4afe(2nd gen) engine(16 valve efi).my problem is this,when idle,the car is fine but when i try to accelerate,it dies.it dies along depressing the clutch while pressing the accelerator.but it moves,just a bit.

Note: a week ago,i had this problem as well,hard acceleration then engine vibration.i cleaned my throttle body and iacv,changed air filter and added injector cleaner on my gas then it went away.but a clicking sound when depressing the clutch replaced it.i brought it to a mechanic to fix the oil leaks.he replaced the oil seals and timing belt,cleaned the fuel filter and adjusted the clutch.after those,this problem occured.he said i should bring it to a technician because it's the servo.btw,the clicking's already gone.

i don't know if i'm gonna believe him.i thought to myself it was fine before i brought it there.could it be that the clutch was just incorrectly adjusted?

oh,one more thing.i noticed that when he cleaned the fuel filter,he ran pressured air through its "intake valve" then the "exit valve"(just my terms).hindi ba dapat dun lang sa labasan so the residues it filtered ay mabalik palabas?pag dun kasi sa intake,lalong madidiin yung mga dumi sa filter.bka nasira or nagbara na s'ya ng tuluyan.

tomorrow i'll check the spark plugs,high tension wires and vacuum hoses.

sorry for a very long post and thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As you mentioned, the fuel filter was "cleaned" but not replaced.

I think you should replace the fuel filter with a new one. It's not expensive and might solve your problem.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    You might have a faulty clutch cable.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mayouno View Post
    i don't usually post here because i know that my problem could have been discussed already but after weeks of searching i still can't find any thread having similar situation as mine.so here it goes.

i have a corolla 91 with a 4afe(2nd gen) engine(16 valve efi).my problem is this,when idle,the car is fine but when i try to accelerate,it dies.it dies along depressing the clutch while pressing the accelerator.but it moves,just a bit.

Note: a week ago,i had this problem as well,hard acceleration then engine vibration.i cleaned my throttle body and iacv,changed air filter and added injector cleaner on my gas then it went away.but a clicking sound when depressing the clutch replaced it.i brought it to a mechanic to fix the oil leaks.he replaced the oil seals and timing belt,cleaned the fuel filter and adjusted the clutch.after those,this problem occured.he said i should bring it to a technician because it's the servo.btw,the clicking's already gone.

i don't know if i'm gonna believe him.i thought to myself it was fine before i brought it there.could it be that the clutch was just incorrectly adjusted?

oh,one more thing.i noticed that when he cleaned the fuel filter,he ran pressured air through its "intake valve" then the "exit valve"(just my terms).hindi ba dapat dun lang sa labasan so the residues it filtered ay mabalik palabas?pag dun kasi sa intake,lalong madidiin yung mga dumi sa filter.bka nasira or nagbara na s'ya ng tuluyan.

tomorrow i'll check the spark plugs,high tension wires and vacuum hoses.

sorry for a very long post and thanks in advance!

parang ang problema mo ay ang ECU mo o ang computer box mo, kasi controlado ng ecu ang distrbution ng hangin at gas mo! and kadalasan walang galit ang makina at hindi aabot ng mataas yung RPM mo!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    *ghosthunter: i already thought about it sir.i'll replace it.

*reym: i'll have it checked too.

*paulpainoh: but when i try to rev up during idle the engine responds normally and the rpm goes up as it normally does.it only has the problem when the clutch is engaged.

Thanks for your replies sirs.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Have you checked the breaks? Baka naninikit. AT ba o manual ang sasakyan mo?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by reym View Post
    AT ba o manual ang sasakyan mo?
    Hahahaha! So sorry, couldn't ressist.

To the TS.

A few questions:

1. You mentioned something about hard acceleration. Just what is the context of that statement; Is it hard acceleration as in you drove the car real hard (ie. fast) and then the problem popped up, or you're having a hard time accelerating?

2. When the clutch was adjusted, is the engagement point deeper or shallower?

3. After replacing the timing belt, was it checked again for proper timing?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    *reym: the brakes are fine.umaandar nmn xa eh.the thing is,i have to step on the clutch deeper,actually todo na nga eh.because if i don't,the engine dies.it's a manual by the way.

*oj88:

1. You mentioned something about hard acceleration. Just what is the context of that statement; Is it hard acceleration as in you drove the car real hard (ie. fast) and then the problem popped up, or you're having a hard time accelerating?

>> the latter.it accelerates actually but the engine dies after depressing the clutch even if it's already running.so i still have to step on the clutch and the accelerator at the same time to keep it alive.nanginginig s'ya and parang kinakapos or something.

2. When the clutch was adjusted, is the engagement point deeper or shallower?

>> i think it's deeper.

3. After replacing the timing belt, was it checked again for proper timing?

>> i was not at the shop when they did it actually.but i can feel that the timing is fine now compared before i brought it there.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Just an update...

I checked the spark plugs and high tension wires earlier.I noticed that the plugs were wet with oil.Is this normal?

After cleaning the plugs and the ht wires,the problem went away.accelerating now is fine.

i also noticed that the brake pedal is hard to step on to but it's working fine.do i need to bleed air out of it to get rid of its hardness?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    This is only my opnion.

Quote Originally Posted by mayouno View Post
    Just an update...

I checked the spark plugs and high tension wires earlier.I noticed that the plugs were wet with oil.Is this normal? No

After cleaning the plugs and the ht wires,the problem went away.accelerating now is fine. as expected.

i also noticed that the brake pedal is hard to step on to but it's working fine.do i need to bleed air out of it to get rid of its hardness? No. bleed airfrom the hydraulic of the brake system only if the pedal is soft, deep & brake is weak. The pedal is hard probably due to absence of vacuum assist. Check hose to your hydro-vac, it might be leaking or worst disconnected otherwise the hydro-vac is defective
    Let's wait additional input from our brothers here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Acceleration Problem.Please Help.