New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hello Tsikot,

GUYS HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? MYSTERY of the gastanks ive used for an ae92:

Hi! Ive had this problem and it seems that I havent solved this mystery with my ae92. Take note im on my 5th tank. (YES YOU HAVE READ CORRECTLY 5th!) Here is the history: My vehicle is an ae92 w/ a 4a-fe engine, so basically i had to source out an efi tank since the local ones are just carbureated fuel tanks. Inside a carbureated tank there are dividers and using a carbureated type fuel tank causes the engine to fuel starve. So 1st tank, my stock carbureated upgraded to my 2nd tank, an efi ae92 tank and efi pump i used for my car to avoid fuel starving. After like a year tumulo from underneath. Couldnt figure out why basta ang culprit SAYAD as per mechanics. Geeesh di naman gaano ka lowered car ko. So ok lang sourced another manual carbureated fuel tank. Kinabit yung 3rd tank. After like months sayad na naman at tagas. Bought another efi tank so pang 4th na to. Ok naman tumagal for a year. Around 3 months ago, tumagas na naman yung efi tank and resorted to another carbureated fuel tank w/c is the fifth. For crying out loud Ive had 5 tanks already. Also take note, under the fuel tank we placed like a rubber mat to insulate the hull from being scratched around the 3rd tank we used. But still nagleleak pa rin.

To recap: Manual stock carb (1st) then to EFI tank (2nd) then to manual carb (3rd) then to EFI tank again (4th) and currently back to manual carb (5th).

Ive talked to a couple of people and here are their theories explanations:
    1) Fuel I use - im using just regular unleaded fuel na may ethanol (recently changed to premium which i think is better than unleaded.
    2) Rear shock absorbers - baka daw nagbobottom out yung rear shocks ko (BTW im Using TEMS for the rears ng ae 92 ko Toyota Elec . Modulated Suspension) had this checked ok naman rear shocks ko.
    3) Baradong Charcoal canister - already removed this around the 3rd tank I used.
    4) Baka daw baliktad fuel lines ng return hose and young breather hose which I douubt and had it checked by a reputable mechanic.

In the 5 tanks Ive used the prevailing factor kung bakit nabubutas fuel tanks ko is gasgas na may sumisiret na pinhole na gasolina. I seem to not solve this problem. Well sana di na umulit tong problema ko.

Any inputs on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by temarts_star View Post
    Hello Tsikot,

GUYS HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? MYSTERY of the gastanks ive used for an ae92:

Hi! Ive had this problem and it seems that I havent solved this mystery with my ae92. Take note im on my 5th tank. (YES YOU HAVE READ CORRECTLY 5th!) Here is the history: My vehicle is an ae92 w/ a 4a-fe engine, so basically i had to source out an efi tank since the local ones are just carbureated fuel tanks. Inside a carbureated tank there are dividers and using a carbureated type fuel tank causes the engine to fuel starve. So 1st tank, my stock carbureated upgraded to my 2nd tank, an efi ae92 tank and efi pump i used for my car to avoid fuel starving. After like a year tumulo from underneath. Couldnt figure out why basta ang culprit SAYAD as per mechanics. Geeesh di naman gaano ka lowered car ko. So ok lang sourced another manual carbureated fuel tank. Kinabit yung 3rd tank. After like months sayad na naman at tagas. Bought another efi tank so pang 4th na to. Ok naman tumagal for a year. Around 3 months ago, tumagas na naman yung efi tank and resorted to another carbureated fuel tank w/c is the fifth. For crying out loud Ive had 5 tanks already. Also take note, under the fuel tank we placed like a rubber mat to insulate the hull from being scratched around the 3rd tank we used. But still nagleleak pa rin.

To recap: Manual stock carb (1st) then to EFI tank (2nd) then to manual carb (3rd) then to EFI tank again (4th) and currently back to manual carb (5th).

Ive talked to a couple of people and here are their theories explanations:
    1) Fuel I use - im using just regular unleaded fuel na may ethanol (recently changed to premium which i think is better than unleaded.
    2) Rear shock absorbers - baka daw nagbobottom out yung rear shocks ko (BTW im Using TEMS for the rears ng ae 92 ko Toyota Elec . Modulated Suspension) had this checked ok naman rear shocks ko.
    3) Baradong Charcoal canister - already removed this around the 3rd tank I used.
    4) Baka daw baliktad fuel lines ng return hose and young breather hose which I douubt and had it checked by a reputable mechanic.

In the 5 tanks Ive used the prevailing factor kung bakit nabubutas fuel tanks ko is gasgas na may sumisiret na pinhole na gasolina. I seem to not solve this problem. Well sana di na umulit tong problema ko.

Any inputs on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
    what kind of leak? is it presure leak or drip? where around the tank is it leaking if it is at the tank at all? it might be your fuel lines or hoses. when does it leak? if indeed it is at the bottom or the seams of the fuel tank, you can safely repair the leak with loctite gas tank repair epoxy. i have used this on gas tank holes as big as 3/4 inch.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    If I have to guess, it could be one of the following:

1. Too much pressure or vacuum build-up causing the tank to either burst at the weakest joints or buckle (check fuel pump and pressure regulator)
    2. Gas tank stress (check fuel tank mounts for proper loading)

Are the leaks on the same spot on all 5 tanks? Kindly post pictures of all tanks where the leaks are coming from.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    what kind of leak? is it presure leak or drip? where around the tank is it leaking if it is at the tank at all? it might be your fuel lines or hoses. when does it leak? if indeed it is at the bottom or the seams of the fuel tank, you can safely repair the leak with loctite gas tank repair epoxy. i have used this on gas tank holes as big as 3/4 inch.
    thanks for the reply jick,
    in 3 separate occassions, (excluding 1st tank carb and the present carb tank im using) the leak originates right at the middle of the hull. It starts from a small "lubog" na crack and a pinhole causes fuel to drip. I find it weird coz i know people who have lower cars than I do and have frequently scraped their under carriages/ gas tanks to high humps BUT they never had problems.

Ive checked the fuel lines and hoses and they are correctly installed.

Where can I purchase this loctite gas tank repair epoxy? Is it really effective?

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    thanks for the reply 0j88,

Ive also thought of the balloon concept that is applicable with my fuel tank problem. Because of the build up of pressure inside my tank, konting galos lang or tama causes fuel to leak from usually a scrape or crack. Ive also noticed that sa mga gas stations when I fill up ang lakas ng pressure ang naririnig ko everytime tinatanggal yung gas cap ko. Sounds like a spooling turbo w/ an afternmarket BOV lol.

the only question is ... why is there a build up of pressure? hmmm

I dont think the straps are the culprit kasi its still insulated with the rubber in the inside oortion of the starps at malayo sya kung saan nagdedevelop ang leak...

Thanks again

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Also check the purge valve and its solenoid, if equipped. It could be disconnected or stuck closed.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    yung dati sa innova namin ganun din... ang mga pinalitan is yung gas tank, canister and yung fuel cap... baka need mo to replace yung fuel cap...

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by temarts_star View Post
    thanks for the reply jick,
    in 3 separate occassions, (excluding 1st tank carb and the present carb tank im using) the leak originates right at the middle of the hull. It starts from a small "lubog" na crack and a pinhole causes fuel to drip. I find it weird coz i know people who have lower cars than I do and have frequently scraped their under carriages/ gas tanks to high humps BUT they never had problems.

Ive checked the fuel lines and hoses and they are correctly installed.

Where can I purchase this loctite gas tank repair epoxy? Is it really effective?

you mentioned pressure release upon opening the gas cap. this is normal. the tank builds up pressure sometimes up to 15 psi but relieves the excess pressure to the vapor line leading to the charcoal canister. have the fuel lines and the vapor lines checked for blockage. the car might have bottomed at one time and the vapor line tubing might have been constricted. as far as the epoxy, the other brand if available is permatex p/n 765-1565. yes they work as long as you follow instructions as to how to use it. i have tested this myself a couple of times
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; May 28th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    tingna nan mo yung inova fuel tank leak thread sa lakas ng vacum nayuyupi yung tangke sa katagalan nabubutas culprit? defective fueltank cap masyadong sakal design flaw ng 1 gen inova libre yta magpapalit sa casa. baka ganun nangyaya ri sa tanke mo, magpalit ng fuel tank cap na marami at malaki yung butas sa charcoal filter baka ma solve problem sa auto mo

10. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    charcoal canister pala

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The mmysterious fuel tanks for an efi corolla ae92