New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    I own a Corolla with a 12-valve carbureted 2E engine. Rough idling siya, tapos 'nanginginig' kapag galing sa full-stop. Pero hataw naman kapag mabilis na. Bago ang spark plugs, high-tension wires (spark plug wires). Bagong linis ang carburetor using carb spray and carb cleaner. Bagong linis din distributor cap and rotor using sandpaper and cotton cloth. Bago fuel and air filter. Na-timpla na din gas-air mixture. Pero rough idling pa din siya. Ano pa kaya sanhi nun? Need help, mga fellow tsikoteers. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StBernard15 View Post
    I own a Corolla with a 12-valve carbureted 2E engine. Rough idling siya, tapos 'nanginginig' kapag galing sa full-stop. Pero hataw naman kapag mabilis na. Bago ang spark plugs, high-tension wires (spark plug wires). Bagong linis ang carburetor using carb spray and carb cleaner. Bagong linis din distributor cap and rotor using sandpaper and cotton cloth. Bago fuel and air filter. Na-timpla na din gas-air mixture. Pero rough idling pa din siya. Ano pa kaya sanhi nun? Need help, mga fellow tsikoteers. Thanks!

your 2E has an ignition coil in the distributor. over time, the coil insulation gets breached by heat and constant exposure to high voltage. try tuning in to AM on your radio. if you hear static proportional to the engine speed, the coil insulation had been breached and needs to be replaced

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    your 2E has an ignition coil in the distributor. over time, the coil insulation gets breached by heat and constant exposure to high voltage. try tuning in to AM on your radio. if you hear static proportional to the engine speed, the coil insulation had been breached and needs to be replaced
    I will try that later. Do you have any idea how much an orig/replacement ignition coil costs? Should it be done by a mechanic or kaya naman na DIY? I removed the distributor cap yesterday to clean the rotor, and I noticed mukhang mahirap galawin ang distributor assembly. Marami kasi springs and screws. Thanks.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Category:Toyota Integrated Ignition Assembly - Wikimedia Commons

You can do it yourself. You will need a #2 Phillips screwdriver, an 8mm combination wrench and some patience. The small parts fall and hard to find. The 8mm wrench is for the primary terminals and the #2 Phillips is for the mounting screws of the ignition coil

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Check all spark plug gap and should have light brown color. Spark plug gap should not have have black color or with burnt oil. Burnt oil will cause fouled spark plug. Replace spark plug and HTW to isolate problem.
    Last edited by Chinoi; March 19th, 2016 at 02:47 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StBernard15 View Post
    Uhmm... A Toyota Corolla... You had done naman well for that model, on all what you said. Ang kulang lang, kung nakapag-adjust kana ba ng mga tappet valve clearance nya sa specs? After it, nakapag pa basic igniton timing ka na ba? Nasa tama tono rin po ba ang idling speed or rpm? Kung nagawa na ang mga naitanong ko at may nginig pa rin, try checking all your engine support and transmission suppport.

Sent from my UP+ using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Ganyan dati naging problem ng car ko. The mechanic found out kapag hinila mo yung mga spark plug caps (one by one) may isang may problem. Dapat kasi kapag hinila mo yung spark plug cap manginginig yung engine na parang mamamatay, may isa dun na kahit hilahin mo d nagbabago ang takbo ng engine kaya pala manginig na parang palyado ang makina. Upon further troubleshooting, top overhaul pal lang needed, may isang balikong valve.

Rough Engine Idle