New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Guys,

I have a 3 door pajero which I recently changed the speedometer cable because it broke.

the problem is just two weeks of driving and I have over 4000 kilometers in the Odometer, it turns too fast.

has anyone experienced this? If so can anyone give an advise on what to do?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    up lng natin mga sirs

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Your speedometer is run electrically (do not mean digital) and you just replace the cable.

You have to measure the signal, you need to hook and auto meter to the wire and check for AC VOLTAGE. It will be small and goes up and down with the speed of the vehicle. A good square wave on a scope. Check all the connection again.

The main Integrated Chip on the speedometers circuit board has probably gone bad.This causes erratic or no operation of the speedometer/odometer.

If this is the case, there is no way to repair the problem.You must get a new or used speedometer !

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It may be evil to say this... but disconnect the sensor from the transmission, for the meantime.

Are you sure it's just the cable you replaced? And if so, was it reconnected properly?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Your speedometer is run electrically (do not mean digital) and you just replace the cable.

You have to measure the signal, you need to hook and auto meter to the wire and check for AC VOLTAGE. It will be small and goes up and down with the speed of the vehicle. A good square wave on a scope. Check all the connection again.

The main Integrated Chip on the speedometers circuit board has probably gone bad.This causes erratic or no operation of the speedometer/odometer.

If this is the case, there is no way to repair the problem.You must get a new or used speedometer !

thank you sir for the input, the mechanic replaced the cable since it was already twisted cut.

and when it was replaced the speedometer and odometer immediately functioned. but I did not noticed it was out of synch until after a week since the reading was really absurd.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It may be evil to say this... but disconnect the sensor from the transmission, for the meantime.

Are you sure it's just the cable you replaced? And if so, was it reconnected properly?

yes sir it was the cable that was replaced, I just don't know if it was done correctly but it started working again only too fast.

would I need to bring it to an automotive electrician or any mechanic would know what to do?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    mga sirs, had my ride checked at an auto electrical shop and they electrician told me that "tumatalon " daw ung speedometer and I had to replace it na daw.

this after just taking a glance at it and me explaining the problem to him and not much inspection on his part.

do I really have to change the speedometer or is there any other way to fix the problem?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    obd2 system na ba ang ride mo ?

if yes , go to a shop with scanner and compare the readings from the scanner to your speedometer

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    That's bad! Mabuti at naabutan mo ang odometer mo.

:beer:3789

Odometer too fast