New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Very frustrated with my second starter motor burn-out

Vehicle is a Ford Everest. First burn was due to the defective solenoid (OEM starter). Got a replacement type and all is fine again.

Then after 2 months it burned again, this time it's due to the ignition daw not cutting the relay signal to the starter to switch if off hence the cause of the motor burn-out.

I'm putting this repair on hold before I burn another 10k peso starter. Much appreciate it if you can give some inputs.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Very frustrated with my second starter motor burn-out

Vehicle is a Ford Everest. First burn was due to the defective solenoid (OEM starter). Got a replacement type and all is fine again.

Then after 2 months it burned again, this time it's due to the ignition daw not cutting the relay signal to the starter to switch if off hence the cause of the motor burn-out.

I'm putting this repair on hold before I burn another 10k peso starter. Much appreciate it if you can give some inputs.

Thanks!
    hindi kaya dahil hindi ka agad nabibitawan sa "start" position pag pinapaandar?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    that needs a pinpoint diagnostics to deterrmine where exactly the problem is but it's going to be hard to chase it if intermittent .

option is to install a push button starter switch inplace of the IGN SW.

MAKE SURE IT MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    It could be caused by a "defective Ignition switch" which isn't releasing the 'start' connection when you let it return to the 'run' position. Everything would appear to work ok but the starter would continue to run; and, of course, the starter solenoid would continue to get power and overheat.

Have theme check your STARTER also if drawing too much current. I would have your starter checked out the next time you replace your solenoid as you have said it cost a lot of money. It may only take for example 110 cranking amps to start your car but if the starter is going bad it may require say 150-170 amps to start your car therefore putting a greater load on your solenoid.....booom, fried out again.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    double post.
    Last edited by yebo; February 22nd, 2009 at 02:14 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    10 tawsan petot for a starter? nare-rewind yan ah! dala mo yan sa suking auto-electrical shop at di pa siguro abutin 2k pa-rewind, kahit palitan pa ang commutator and brushes.

kaya dumidikit and solenoid contacts e yung gamit nilang brass e di maganda electrical properties, nagi-spark sya at pag nag-spark nagkakaron ng bulutong, dun mag-start na dumikit yung contacts. pag umulit ulit na dumikit e mas maganda pa-silver plate mo. baklas yung solenoid contacts then have both the center plate and the 2 contacts on the sides coated with silver. understood na ang iko-coat ng silver e yung parts na nagko-contact ha. ganyan ginawa ko dati sa kia pride na pinakamamahal kong 1st car (1991) di na dumikit ulit yung contacts. bili ka ng silver sa alahero or even sa silver jewelry store sa mall and silver brazing paste/powder sa hardware, then acetylene lang yan. konting kinis ng file or sandpaper ayos na yan.

o nga pala, air cool lang pagtapos ng brazing ha, wag mo ilagay o buhusan ng water yung hot metal contacts. lalambot pag i-quench mo sa tubig ang hot brass or copper.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    V6 hit it right on the nail's head

It was a stuck ignition switch. I dunno how it got stuck but when I got to the shop, they were finished oiling it after they cleaned the thing. It was the cause of the first burn too grrrr!

yebo - well, ayun nakabili na ako. The good news is that the price is now down to 8k. Both starters are really burnt badly on the inside but heck I'll try to have it rewind.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    It was a stuck ignition switch. I dunno how it got stuck but when I got to the shop, they were finished oiling it after they cleaned the thing. It was the cause of the first burn too grrrr!

Cleaning and oiling on your ignition switch is only a quick fix. Sounds like the lock cylinder itself is bad, or the switch itself. My advise is to replace or risking another 8,000. Buy a new ignition switch.

What causes starters to burn-out?