New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Hi! Need your honest and proffessional opinions on car paint jobs.
    I plan to get a 2000 Jag XK8 yet I have noticed that the paint had become dull (thru the years.) I could notice some parts not matching its color.

Since i also wanted to change the color of the car (its in "Platinum" [Silver] and i wanted a darker color "Titanium" [gun metal], my question is should i have it scraped-to-metal and repainted or should i maintain the existing factory paint and just have it Sprayed over?

Some of my petrolhead buddies keeps on telling these things:
    1.) Factory paint is still the best so just have it sprayed over 2-3x which will give it a more deep finish because the factory paint will absorb the new paint.
    2.) i still get to keep the original anti-rust inside.

So what's the difference if i have it scraped off and apply a fresh coat of paint? Will I still achieve a deep finish of lets say 2-3 coats? Could I request for an Anti-rust the same way as how it came out from the factory?

Where i live, there is a great and respected International Car Restoration company (Alex Car Restoration) that I plan to visit as soon as i get the car but I just wanted to hear other opinions on this.

Any Infos would be of a great help to me. Many Thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The problem with an overlay coat is that it doesn't stick as well as with paint directly in contact with the car's body. If there are cracks already forming underneath you will not know this until after you have already painted the car and it breaks out as if there's a loose skin elevating from the car's body -- this is often called "lifting"

There are other problems that can result from overlaying such as fingerprints showing, dust particles, poor adhesion etc.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ano ba ang tamang term, scraped to metal or stripped to metal? Ano ang kaibahan ng sprayed over sa washed over?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hilldweller View Post
    Ano ba ang tamang term, scraped to metal or stripped to metal? Ano ang kaibahan ng sprayed over sa washed over?
    The preferable way is to use an orbital sander. Stripped or paint to metal is the correct sounding terminology.

Car Repaint - Scrape to metal or Sprayed over?