New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have heared of so many complaints with most of the China-branded vehicles from complete knock-offs to poorest quality? Which among them would you recommend having the same quality as Japanese brands?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    People seems happy with Haima sir.. Check out the thread here din..

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    pati sa foton na pickup. owners seem to be satisfied. you can read their thread.

i think nabasa ko rin dito na dong-feng is about to launch a hummer H1 knock off dito sa pinas. just change the grill then you got a mean looking H1 hehehe...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Same quality as which Japanese brand?

The "which" is the important part. Not all brands are created equal.

But best chances, right now, are with the Foton Thunder, simply because the engine is made by Cummins and the transmission is made by Getrag. Cummins supplies engines for a number of companies, and is well-known for its large truck engines, as seen in Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack and Volvo trucks. Getrag is a top-tier transmission supplier for companies like BMW, Ford, Mitsubishi and Volkswagen.

Can't guarantee the quality of the rest of the truck, but it brakes as well as the Japanese, it handles decently, the power steering doesn't overheat or lose boost like it does in some Japanese trucks when you saw it back and forth quickly, and the truck feels decent.

Recently at Clark, Chinese representatives for Foton took the truck out on the racetrack. Let me tell you, they weren't babying the thing. Imagine a tall truck squealing at full speed through the sweeper at Clark, flying out onto the main straight like a bat out of hell. That seemed dangerously reckless to me, but I was mightily impressed by the truck.
    Last edited by niky; March 27th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Sir niky,

Japanese brands like Honda, Subaru or Toyota...etc...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012

The "which" is the important part. Not all brands are created equal.

But best chances, right now, are with the Foton Thunder, simply because the engine is made by Cummins and the transmission is made by Getrag. Cummins supplies engines for a number of companies, and is well-known for its large truck engines, as seen in Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack and Volvo trucks. Getrag is a top-tier transmission supplier for companies like BMW, Ford, Mitsubishi and Volkswagen.

Can't guarantee the quality of the rest of the truck, but it brakes as well as the Japanese, it handles decently, the power steering doesn't overheat or lose boost like it does in some Japanese trucks when you saw it back and forth quickly, and the truck feels decent.

Recently at Clark, Chinese representatives for Foton took the truck out on the racetrack. Let me tell you, they weren't babying the thing. Imagine a tall truck squealing at full speed through the sweeper at Clark, flying out onto the main straight like a bat out of hell. That seemed dangerously reckless to me, but I was mightily impressed by the truck.
    It looks good also..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well.. they're not all the same. Honda has had trim and rust issues in the past, as well as automatic transmission issues with their five speeds before... and Toyota's gasoline engines are very reliable, while their new diesels are rather sensitive to fuel quality. I'd opine that both manufacturers hit their highest notes in the early and mid-90's but are no longer too far removed from the rest of the pack. Subarus, on the other hand, have their own quirks and problems.

-

And also note there are also Chinese-made Hondas and Toyotas.

-

But kidding aside, I don't see any local Chinese cars that are built to the same standards as mainstream Japanese cars, though they're getting close. The durability of new models is something we'll only find out over the next few years. I'd peg the best bets right now as being Foton and Haima.

Geely, Great Wall and Chery are maybe a step behind, but the last Geely I drove and the newer Great Walls are a lot better than offerings from the brands a few years ago... so I'd say give it five years before that group is advanced enough to start making comparisons.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'm kinda curious with the Dongfeng Oting.

A chinese native supplier said that Haima is the only Chinese brand that seems good. Others he said: "No good" ;)

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That was likely true in the past, because Haima produces almost exact mechanical replicas of their licensed Mazda vehicles (Licensed, ha... hindi pirated) rebodied with different sheetmetal. They won a few "best" awards with their versions of Mazda cars.

Nowadays, other brands are starting to leapfrog them.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    That was likely true in the past, because Haima produces almost exact mechanical replicas of their licensed Mazda vehicles (Licensed, ha... hindi pirated) rebodied with different sheetmetal. They won a few "best" awards with their versions of Mazda cars.

Nowadays, other brands are starting to leapfrog them.
    I most like the Haima Family and Freema. Once, may nakasabay ako Haima Family, binaba ko bintana ko dahil kilala ko ang tunog ng makina ng Lynx/Familia. It sounded exactly same! Hurray!!! Ayos!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast