New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mga parekoy kung gumagamit na kayo ng Garmins Gps (Any model) w/ Philippine maps paki post naman ng review nyo... about the unit and accuracy using philippine maps.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    The free map is good from phroadguide, however some routes are outdated and still unverified. I'm using the contributor one and some of which have been addressed.

Pretty accurate and lock-on is superb as long as di ka indoors, basement parking, or in a place filled with high-rise buildings like Makati.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    i'm using a Nuvi 360... initial lock on when cold boot up takes 2 minutes... 30 seconds if you have used it already and will power it back on... i get a 3-5 meters accuracy.

the contributor's map is far more better than the standard edition which can be downloaded by everyone.

i'm loving it!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rensom View Post
    Mga parekoy kung gumagamit na kayo ng Garmins Gps (Any model) w/ Philippine maps paki post naman ng review nyo... about the unit and accuracy using philippine maps.
    Never tried the garmin. Get an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS. Then buy the GPS app by motion x from the app store. Works pretty good.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    i have 2 brand new garmin nuvi 255w units extra p16k if interested call me 09228004333 , yes is working fine here with the basic map that can let you survive metro manila , other cities also , but for much detailed maps you have to contribute waypoints and tracks then after evaluation then then will send you a nuch detailed maps .

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I also have the contributor's version and it's helped me every now and then. Routing can be a bit "clumsy" in some cases. Nevertheless, still useful if you know little to nothing about your destination. You can circumvent this limitation by using via waypoints.

For me, a dedicated GPS is 1,000x better than those integrated with phones. GPS and calling/texting isn't as pleasurable as having a dedicated GPS attached to the car. I still have GMXT on my i780 in case I need a GPS on-the-go.

Got my 255W for 12k last April. I think it's 13.5k now.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I also have the contributor's version and it's helped me every now and then. Routing can be a bit "clumsy" in some cases. Nevertheless, still useful if you know little to nothing about your destination. You can circumvent this limitation by using via waypoints.

For me, a dedicated GPS is 1,000x better than those integrated with phones. GPS and calling/texting isn't as pleasurable as having a dedicated GPS attached to the car. I still have GMXT on my i780 in case I need a GPS on-the-go.

Got my 255W for 12k last April. I think it's 13.5k now.
    Hi oj88. nanito ka rin pala. :bluestar:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm pretty much impressed with the GarminXT on my i780 too. Very handy and works great. Can drain fast the battery though in my i780 phone. Continuous use can last up to 4 hours only. I'm currently using it now here in Penang, Malaysia. Sorry kung OT po.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vanda01 View Post
    I'm pretty much impressed with the GarminXT on my i780 too. Very handy and works great. Can drain fast the battery though in my i780 phone. Continuous use can last up to 4 hours only. I'm currently using it now here in Penang, Malaysia. Sorry kung OT po.
    Same here, I'm also impressed with MobileXT on my Nokia e90 naman.

Actually I'm comparin 3 navigation apps on my fone.

I Have:

1. Navfone Pro

2. Nokia Maps, now Ovi Maps

3. Garmin Mobile XT

Sa Navfone Pro, ang ayaw ko lang, available palang na maps ay yung Manila at Cebu. Pero almost complete yung list nila ng mga streets at bldgs. Medyo parang bored nga lang magsalita yung voice navigation nya.

Sa Nokia Maps naman, wala pa talaga silang maps ng Pilipinas. Ang ginagamit ko lang ay yung Satellite Map. Dahil mas updated ito kesa dun sa google maps/google earth.

Sa Garmin MobileXT, maganda ang UI at mas maganda yung voice navigation nya. Mas buhay.

I'm still contemplating if I'm going to buy a dedicated gps device tho.. Hay..

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 760 since February. Its most useful when I find myself in an unknown location and instead of asking for directions among the locals the gps tells me where I had been and how i got there, i just simply follow my tracks to find my way out.

And if you are a well oriented person like me, where i like to plan my trips, then this is where the benefit of using a gps helps. Using mapsource, one can setup waypoints and routs to your destinations. Also, to be able to maximize the gps, an accurate map is as important. Osm-ph and roadguide maps are my recommendations, but as long you contribute you wont be able to have access to a contributors roadguide map, which makes using a gps worthless using a map with lesser content as this.
    As for the Osm-ph map which can be found at http://esambale.wikispaces.com/osmphil_garmin is more aesthetically presentable but based on experience, it is only useful within Metro Manila as the content outside Manila gets confusing, and even still, it is not as fast and as accurate as roadguide map.
    Regarding the roadguide map, it has been more than 4 months since it has been last updated, so as more contributions piles up for the roadguide map moderators/makers I believe the next update will be worth the wait!

Also I recommend future roadguide and Osm-ph map users to become contributors to further improve these maps, unless you want to pay for your map that you can get with no purchase cost as long as you contribute. (support the Open Source approach.. lol)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Review for Garmins GPS w/ Philippine Maps