New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi peeps.

The Garmin Nuvi 200 is now on sale here in the US. I just hope this unit will work in the Philippines (Manila, Laguna, and Cavite area) because I'm sure gonna buy one and install it on my Hyundai Getz.

Anyone of you ever tried this unit and used it in the places I listed above?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by raptormnl View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 in the US and brought it here in the Philippines.

The device works well with the Philippine road map. The only caveat is that it does not know that some of the roads in our area in Paranaque City are closed by several village associations - but no problem with me, I know the place very well anyway.

The Nuvi 200 is very useful in navigating other areas of Metro Manila that I'm not familiar with.

By the way, Nuvi 200 is the entry level product. I bought it for $239 in Orlando FL. The reason for buying the entry level was that it was basically experimental on my part, as I'm not sure if it will work in the Philippines. I should have bought the Nuvi 200W though, have I known that it is only around $20-$30 more expensive - it has a bigger screen of 4.3".

I'm satisfied however with the Nuvi 200 that I bought. It worked wonders for me in Orlando, and it is working well so far here in Manila.

Other useful functions of the Nuvi 200 are as follows - world map, world time, currency converter, calculator, and picture viewer.
    I will be having my Nuvi 200 come in in about two weeks, how do you initially set it up? Just out of the box and it would work immediately? Please advise. Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Where did you get the map for the Garmin?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    bro how much ba ang entry leve and high-end nyo?

Quote Originally Posted by txtalert View Post
    Hi, we had a customer for TxtAlert GSM/GPS car alarm and he also have a mapsource for his PDA. What we did at that time is to connect the coordinates that our unit is giving to his unit and presto, he got a security system and a navigational system on his fortuner! Mas mura pa ang inabot ng system nya kasi he doesn't need to buy the GPS since it's already built in na sa device namin. What's good is that we use a 20 channel GPS module unlike ung ibang GPS na 12 channel lang. Mas accurate ang bato ng coordinates. So those who wanted to have security and navigation system all in one, u can consider our device.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfy819 View Post
    I will be having my Nuvi 200 come in in about two weeks, how do you initially set it up? Just out of the box and it would work immediately? Please advise. Thanks!
    Just follow the instructions below -

1. Install MapSource on your computer. Note that the disk is DVD and not a CD.
    2. Download the 5.00 Beta version of the maps from the site - http://www.freewebs.com/phroadguide/index.htm

3. Run the exe progam that you downloaded. This will install the maps in your MapSource.
    4. Open MapSource. In the drop down list of the the maps, select Phillipines Routable v5.00 Beta.
    5. Using the Map select tool, highlight the map segments (or all of them) that you want to load to your GPS unit.
    6. Connect your GPS unit to your computer with the USB cable.
    7. Click the Send to Device button in MapSource.
    8. When the Send to Device dialog box comes up, select your GPS unit or your SD card as the destination.
    9. Be sure the Maps check box is checked.
    10. Click Send.
    11. Clik Ok when MapSource is done sending the maps.
    12. Disconnect your GPS unit from your computer.
    13. Once the unit boots up, check to be sure the maps are selected. Wrench/Settings > Map > Map Info
    14. Pan and browse the map to the area where the maps are located. You should see the outline boxes of the map segments.
    15. Zoom in.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Last question, the mapsource, is that included on the GPS Unit? or do I have to download it from somewhere?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My brother bought Hanman Vit*s D720G navigation in singapore he sent me the system anyone here can help me put manila map so that i can use it. thanks

http://www.hanman.net/D720G.html

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Where can I get mapsource?

Quote Originally Posted by raptormnl View Post
    Just follow the instructions below -

1. Install MapSource on your computer. Note that the disk is DVD and not a CD.
    2. Download the 5.00 Beta version of the maps from the site - http://www.freewebs.com/phroadguide/index.htm

3. Run the exe progam that you downloaded. This will install the maps in your MapSource.
    4. Open MapSource. In the drop down list of the the maps, select Phillipines Routable v5.00 Beta.
    5. Using the Map select tool, highlight the map segments (or all of them) that you want to load to your GPS unit.
    6. Connect your GPS unit to your computer with the USB cable.
    7. Click the Send to Device button in MapSource.
    8. When the Send to Device dialog box comes up, select your GPS unit or your SD card as the destination.
    9. Be sure the Maps check box is checked.
    10. Click Send.
    11. Clik Ok when MapSource is done sending the maps.
    12. Disconnect your GPS unit from your computer.
    13. Once the unit boots up, check to be sure the maps are selected. Wrench/Settings > Map > Map Info
    14. Pan and browse the map to the area where the maps are located. You should see the outline boxes of the map segments.
    15. Zoom in.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by edtf View Post
    Where can I get mapsource?
    I think I will answer my own question

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...without-media/

I was able to install it and install the Phil map in my Nuvi 250. Works great and one word to describe using a gps around metro manila - HUSAY!!!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by edtf View Post
    I think I will answer my own question

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...without-media/

I was able to install it and install the Phil map in my Nuvi 250. Works great and one word to describe using a gps around metro manila - HUSAY!!!

Yup, i followed the same instructions from the same website to install mapsource ... my nuvi200 did not come with cd installer ... but if you're still in US, i believe that you can request for a copy of mapsource if you bought a Garmin GPS device.