New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2013
    Hi,

I found my battery all drained. My neighbor told me this morning that my headlights turned by themselves around midnight. I replaced the relays, hopefully that is the culprit. I'm also suspecting the headlight/column switch if the problem continues. My concern is what of this happens somewhere else, malls, office, out of town trips.

But prior to this, I had noticed headlights turn on by themselves when driving in the rain while the switch is off. Sometimes lights wont turn off after I switched off the headlights and took the car keys out. I had to play with the headlight switch on/off, dim/bright until it shuts down.

Any recommendation?

Car is 2001 Civic.

Please dont make me call the Ghostbusters

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gutz_3110 View Post
    Hi,

I found my battery all drained. My neighbor told me this morning that my headlights turned by themselves around midnight. I replaced the relays, hopefully that is the culprit. I'm also suspecting the headlight/column switch if the problem continues. My concern is what of this happens somewhere else, malls, office, out of town trips.

But prior to this, I had noticed headlights turn on by themselves when driving in the rain while the switch is off. Sometimes lights wont turn off after I switched off the headlights and took the car keys out. I had to play with the headlight switch on/off, dim/bright until it shuts down.

Any recommendation?

Car is 2001 Civic.

Please dont make me call the Ghostbusters
    Intermittents are not easy to trace. But since you already did the relays, it sounds like column switch defect is the remaining suspect. My recommendation is replacement..
    Last edited by dr. d; December 17th, 2014 at 02:17 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    I think there are only two possible culprit. The relay and the switch.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Don't forget the relay trigger wire might be grounded periodically if the insulation is chafed

5. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thanks, guys for the reply.

I'll have the column switch replaced. Medyo mahal pala sya, nagtanong ako sa Honda.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    yep, most likely the switch. Ask around in banawe (but don't bring your car - just walk - or you'll be pestered by bystanders).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Experienced that before. Culprit was a failing relay.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I had that problem before. But it was with the wipers. The wipers would turn on, even if everything is off, keys out of the car. Scaring the bejeezus out of our househelp. Akala nila minumulto sila.

Replaced the wiper stalk switch.