New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    My car's headlights seem to have this dirty haze inside. I removed the headlight assembly from the car. I planned to remove the headlight's glass from the plastic casing in order for me to wipe clean the inside of the glass. The glass seemed to be tightly glued to the plastic casing, and I was not able to dismantle it.

Given this, how can I clean the inside of my headlights? Do you think pouring glass cleaner through the hole (part were you slip in the halogen bulb assembly) would remove the haze?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    you may use the glass cleaner from the opening at the back however the reflector which makes the lights bright will be damaged in the process. Unfortunately if the headlights are getting dark and blurry its time to replace them. In some internet sites I have seen the headlights are replaced when the car reaches 100k km as a recommendation from the manufacturer.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you can try removing the front glass. use a heat gun or a high power hair dryer to soften the glue which attaches the front lens to the body. be very careful, i broke *both) of my front lenses doing this.

the effect is very worth it though; pouring glass cleaner in through the back just doesn't cut it. after removing the lens, wash with soap and water. the difference is amazing, they are like-new.

(in my case, since i broke the lenses, i glued them back together with Loctite Glass-Bond; so they look good as new but if you look closely you can see the breaks -- so i'm gonna replace the headlights when i have more cash, so if you're gonna clean your headlights, be careful not to break the lenses)

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    i have the same problem with my headlamps (Civic 96), do i need to remove pa rin ba yung headlight assembly? if so, muikhang mas sound advice yung bumili na lang. pero ok din ha, mukhang "smoked" headlights nga e. (refer to my avatar) kaya lang ang drawback is when driving at night medyo malabo kahit mataas ang wattage ng bulbs ko.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not all headlights can be cleaned and dismantled. There are instances that the reflective part can be damaged in the process. Alam ko sa Civics pwedeng tanggalin ang lense cover sa housing. Just like chieffy did to his ride. Sa RAV4 ni BlackMagic nasira yung reflective part naman nung sinubukan linisin ng cleaner.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    BTW i tried cleaning the insides with warm water and soap first. Nasira yung coating.

Other people (particularly the Banawe boys) would recommend liquid sosa. I'm sure that's even harsher. Kung nasira yung reflector sa warm water and soap, liquid sosa pa kaya...

What I did with my lights is, after I removed the headlight lenses, I sanded the reflectors and spray-painted them with silver paint (100 petot at True Value). The silver paint is not as reflective as the original paint, but it will do for now. Particularly since they are just on the high beams (the low beams on my car have their own housing)

Ang alam ko newer cars do NOT use glass lenses anymore, so the risk of breaking/cracking the glass is much less. Still, kahit glass yung lens, it should be possible to dismantle and fix, and restore to like-new condition. You just have to be patient and careful (which I was not..)
    Last edited by orly_andico; April 12th, 2004 at 04:23 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Some shops charge 300 pesos to clean headlights. They use welding to "pop" out the lens.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mga nalinis ko nang headlights are tht of ACCORD, SAFARI , and LANCER ITLOG.

what i do is put cotton together with water and a little soap..tapos uga ugain mo..ung cotton pupunasan niya ung loob ng lens as you shake it....

then use HAIR DRYER to dry the inside....

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We now offer cleaning of headlights without dismantling them nor wetting. Bring it to our shop and we would gladly do it for P500 a pair.
    Note: Yung lens lang ang malilinis. Yung reflector part di namin gagalawin.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Pano yun loob?

Eto yung nakita ko sa web:

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-general.htm

How do I clean a reflector lamp?
    Cleaning the outside of a headlight should preferrably be done with soap and water, and is considered very streigth forward.

However, cleaning the inside of a headlamp becomes more tricky since you will face the same challenges as cleaning the inside of a bottle:
    Remove the headlight bulb.
    Remove the headlight from the car.
    Fill the headlight about 1/2 full of distilled water and put in a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
    Cover the bulb opening and shake the housing for a minute or so.
    Pour out the soapy water.
    Fill the headlight about 1/2 full of distilled water.
    Shake, drain.
    Repeat rinse.
    Rinse again with 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol added (promotes drying).
    Drain.
    Let headlight dry, open end down (overnight), or you can use a hair dryer to speed things up.
    Reinstall headlight.
    Reinstall bulb.

At eto naman sa labas:
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=322

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Headlights