New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    WHAT IS YOUR UTMOST CONCERN? Fc, power or emissions?

*FC - Majority of car owners are more concerned about fuel consumption, followed by power
    performance and the least is emissions.

*Engine power - Modern car engine designs (2000) had greatly improved over the carb and conventional diesel injection pump.

*Emissions – Who cares about emissions if your car periodically pass the preregistration emission tests? (without 'assistance' from the emission test operator/technician!) Who cares if your emission test show 2.4k for diesel, or 3.0% CO and 500ppm HC for gasoline engine? If your CEC show these figures, you can sleep soundly tonight with the thought that you are not contributing to our carbon footprint, right?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Everything should be proportional for me.

FC would depend on the engine power that the car has, if it has less than 1.6L displacement I would expect something around at least 10km/L fuel consumption -- city driving. Of course, I'd expect something around 3-4km/L if I were to drive an STi. Depends, really.

Emissions aren't really my priority, of course I would want to pass it... but whether it's low or high, as long as it passed... it's an OK for me. Definitely better emissions would be better... but I don't really pay attention to it.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i don't care about emissions

i don't care about carbon footprint

i'm not a treehugger

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Power.

Too Short.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    FC first followed by engine power. Emission should be the least of my concerns.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by light2light View Post

*FC - Majority of car owners are more concerned about fuel consumption, followed by power

*Engine power - Modern car engine designs (2000) had greatly improved over the carb and conventional diesel injection pump.

*Emissions – Who cares about emissions if your car periodically pass the preregistration emission tests? (without 'assistance' from the emission test operator/technician!) Who cares if your emission test show 2.4k for diesel, or 3.0% CO and 500ppm HC for gasoline engine? If your CEC show these figures, you can sleep soundly tonight with the thought that you are not contributing to our carbon footprint, right?
    Brother Nuvi Nuvi Nuvi. Someone is waiting for you. :D

http://tsikot.com/forums/car-economy...ml#post1948398

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by light2light View Post

In a general view, engine power and fuel consumption go hand-in-hand. The bigger and more powerful the engine, the more fuel it consumes (typically). Hence, if you want a car that goes easy on the fuel consumption, you end up with a car with a small engine. No brainer.

Of course, modern fuel injection and other modern engine advances has made current engines more efficient than those ten or twenty years ago (assumption by comparing HP output per liter displacement). But the statement still generally holds true, the bigger/powerful the engine, the more fuel it will burn.

As for the emissions, if its being sold by the casa/dealers, it is assumed that it passes all the emissions requirements.

As for my carbon footprint, if you are very concerned about your carbon footprint, you would be taking public transportation or riding a bike. We are more busy getting the most kilometers per liter than improving one's carbon footprint. Heck, turning off a light bulb is a step forward if you are counting towards reducing one's personal carbon footprint. It doesn't have to be the car. In fact, generally, the car is efficient enough. You can do more at home to reduce your personal carbon footprint.

BTW, emissions is NOT the same as carbon footprint.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 19th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    1. Engine power
    2. FC/FE
    3. Emissions

In that order.

To elaborate:

1. I got a Civic with the 1.8L engine. Not quite up there in the torque department, but still peppy enough even if I fill it up with groceries and my family.
    2. Bought a ScanGaugeII which I recently replaced with the UltraGauge to keep tabs on FE.
    3. Always kept the engine in tip top shape. Never dreamed of doing a cat-delete in an attempt to squeeze a bit more power out of the engine. Finally, the UltraGauge would sound an alert if the CEL is triggered (emissions problem, usually).

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    In a general view, engine power and fuel consumption go hand-in-hand. The bigger and more power the engine, the more fuel it consumes (typically). Hence, if you want a car that goes easy on the fuel consumption, you end up with a car with a small engine. No brainer.

As for the emissions, if its being sold by the casa/dealers, it is assumed that it passes all the emissions requirements.

As for my carbon footprint, if you are very concerned about your carbon footprint, you would be taking public transportation or riding a bike.

BTW, emissions is NOT the same as carbon footprint.
    Or use the Kia Pride Nuvinuvi....:lol:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    FC first followed by engine power. Emission should be the least of my concerns.

Assuming you have a factory spec car, emissions should not even be a concern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast