New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2012
    We're planning to buy a 2nd hand SUV with a budget range of around 700-850k. We've narrowed it down to either Fortuner or Montero models 2009 and above as far as the budget permits.

The 700k+ range would give us the following:

The 800k+ range would give us the following:

Our concerns/requirements:
    • Top concern would be availability of parts, yung model/year ba na pipiliin namin may mga available parts pa from casa or some OEM auto parts store?
    • Diesel
    • Masikip lugar namin and we need to park it on a tight space, literally just maneuvering on a one-lane road to park it inside our lot which would need to clear a 2-feet slide platform to get inside. 4x4 wide turning radius?
    • Baha-in yung city namin pati na yung lugar namin. Would need the SUV to clear at most 2ft of baha.
    • Planning to upgrade the SUV in the future like lifting, suspension, accessories, etc. So if we all categories above would be met and we still have an extra from our budget then it would go for the upgrade of the unit.

Need your help deciding which SUV to buy.

Note: Mom's a little worried about Montero's SUA.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frostentangle View Post
    We're planning to buy a 2nd hand SUV with a budget range of around 700-850k. We've narrowed it down to either Fortuner or Montero models 2009 and above as far as the budget permits.

• 2009 Fortuner 4x4 V A/T (60k mileage) - all stock
    • 2010 Fortuner 4x2 A/T (100k mileage) - prado grills, 20" rims, backup camera & sensors, turbo timer, pioneer head unit and speakers, new battery tires and changed oil.
    • 2010-2012 Montero GLS and GLS-Vs (50-100k mileage)
    • 2009 Montery 4x4 (70k mileage) - all stock

• 2012 Montero GTVs
    • 2010 Fortuner 4x2 A/T (100k mileage) - prado grills, 20" rims, backup camera & sensors, turbo timer, pioneer head unit and speakers, new battery tires and changed oil.
    • 2010-2012 Montero GLS and GLS-Vs
    • 2012 Fortuner 4x2s Manual (70-80k mileage) - all stock
    • 2012-2013 Fortuner 4x2 A/Ts (50k-70k mileage) - all stock (a little over budget at 880-900k)

Thanks!
    Since your MOM is concerned with the SUA, I recommend focusing solely on Fortuner options. (Although I personally do not believe in the Montero's SUA issue)
    Also, if you don't need the 4x4, better to settle with 4x2 variants.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009

• 2009 Fortuner 4x4 V A/T (60k mileage) - all stock
    • 2010-2012 Montero GLS and GLS-Vs (50-100k mileage)
    • 2009 Montery 4x4 (70k mileage) - all stock

• 2012 Montero GTVs
    • 2010-2012 Montero GLS and GLS-Vs
    • 2012 Fortuner 4x2s Manual (70-80k mileage) - all stock
    • 2012-2013 Fortuner 4x2 A/Ts (50k-70k mileage) - all stock (a little over budget at 880-900k)

Thanks!

"Note: Mom's a little worried about Montero's SUA."

Yan palang, nararamdaman ko na Fortuner ang ending. Kasi everytime na may mangyayaring accident, pwedeng masisi niyo yung SUA. And the blame is on you kapag yan nangyari. (Not a believer of SUA but i'm just creating scenarios )

BTT: Sa totoo lang Montero GTV or GLS SE ang pipiliin ko sa choices. But i think you'll have to settle with the Fortuner. Doon nalang ako sa newest na good condition. 4x2 models would suffice but yung models with that budget, "sakto" lang yung acceleration. Unless you'll go with the 4x4 na medyo mas luma ng konti.
    Last edited by Sleepcare; February 1st, 2018 at 02:47 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    If you want something practical, I think the fort fits your criteria since I've heard that the diesels are more fuel efficient than the montero and also a better obvious reputation. The pre-vnt 4x2 diesel models are not that powerful though and all their a/t's come only with 4-speed. The suspension setup is also said to be stiff too and the ones with beige interior rather looks dated.

The montero is a better choice if you want something more powerful, more features and more comfortable. The 2012 vgts have 5-speed a/t and paddle shifters. However, the steering is heavier and it is also prone to smoke belching. It is also crampier inside and the engine is noisier too. The sua is only a myth, I guess. But if your mom still has doubt about that, then choose the one with a manual tranny.

Want something bigger and different? Try looking at a '13 trailblazer ltz. I've seen some of those at a similar range of 800-900k and they're totl models already, which has 4x4 and additional safety features over your choices. It is also more spacious and has a 6-speed a/t. The downside is the reputation of some chevy casas which may give you headaches and the crude materials inside. The 4x2 variants are rather bare for their price. The upgraded 2014 2.8 models already have 200hp and 500nm of torque.

So try looking at them each and see what fits you the best. Choose the one that still has a good and presentable condition. And don't forget to conduct a test drive. God bless!

5. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dos2 View Post
    Since your MOM is concerned with the SUA, I recommend focusing solely on Fortuner options. (Although I personally do not believe in the Montero's SUA issue)
    Also, if you don't need the 4x4, better to settle with 4x2 variants.
    The note for the SUA is just to qualify for statistics and tell our mom "see SUA is not real", not really a deal breaker. I don't believe it as well. We don't do heavy off-roads so 4x2 is fine but with the budget, we can get older 4x4s which is a plus already and the extra money can go for upgrading and do general checkups for the bought unit. Only concern is the turn radius, not sure if that is true with all 4x4s that the turn-radius is wider, because we live in a village with a tight road and we have to park it inside our lot area.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepcare View Post

"Note: Mom's a little worried about Montero's SUA."

Yan palang, nararamdaman ko na Fortuner ang ending. Kasi everytime na may mangyayaring accident, pwedeng masisi niyo yung SUA. And the blame is on you kapag yan nangyari. (Not a believer of SUA but i'm just creating scenarios )

BTT: Sa totoo lang Montero GTV or GLS SE ang pipiliin ko sa choices. But i think you'll have to settle with the Fortuner. Doon nalang ako sa newest na good condition. 4x2 models would suffice but yung models with that budget, "sakto" lang yung acceleration. Unless you'll go with the 4x4 na medyo mas luma ng konti.
    Not a believer of the SUA too and it wont have an impact on our decision, note is just for the stats and reasoning for our mom if we go the montero way. We found a 2010 GLS SE around the 700k budget and I think is a 3.2L, di ba mauhaw yun? As for the Montero GTVs they are at 800k range and na-viewing na namin yung 2012 GTV and it still looks brand new and low mileage with rims na din.

Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    If you want something practical, I think the fort fits your criteria since I've heard that the diesels are more fuel efficient than the montero. The pre-vnt 4x2 diesel models are not that powerful though and their a/t's come only with 4-speed. The suspension setup is also said to be stiff too and the ones with beige interior looks dated.

The montero is a better choice if you want something more powerful, more features and more comfortable. The 2012 vgts have 5-speed a/t and paddle shifters. However, the steering is heavier and it is also prone to smoke belching. It is also crampier inside. The sua is only a myth, I guess. But if you still have doubt about that, then choose the one with a manual tranny.

Want something bigger and different? Try looking at a '13 trailblazer ltz. I've seen some of those at a similar range of 800-900k and they're totl models already, which has 4x4 and additional safety features over your choices. It is also more spacious and has a 6-speed a/t. The downside is the reputation of some chevy casas which may give you headaches and the crude materials inside. The upgraded 2014 2.8 models already have 200hp and 500nm of torque.

So try looking at them each and see what fits you the best. Choose the one that still has a good and presentable condition. And don't forget to conduct a test drive.
    For Fortuner, how do we know its a pre-vnt 4x2 diesel model?

Sorry, not really an expert on the engine models. What model/year have the VGTs? SUA not a deal breaker, just want to hear your opinion on that and for stat comparison.

I did a quick search for trailblazer and found only one (Trailblazer 2l4 model - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Malaybalay, Bukidnon - Marketplace | Facebook) its a 2014 version and it's a 6 hour travel from our city. Not really sure about the reputation of the chevy casa here but I'm worried about the parts.

Let me update the topic head with some details. Please recheck and let me know your thoughts.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    You will know that the fortuner has vnt once you see a scoop in its hood. All those vnt models, either 2.5 or 3.0, have 343nm of torque, if I'm not mistaken and they are only available on the diesel variants. Non-vnts don't have hood scoops. Only the 2.5 4x2 models of the last facelift (2012-2016) before the 2nd gen release are the ones to gain vnts. 3.0 4x4s already have them since their first release in 2005. The first batch and first facelifted 4x2 models don't come with vnts for those that have the 2.5 diesel engines.

Sa montero naman, vgt or not, mausok ang 4d56 engine (2.5). Malalaman mong may vgt sya pag may pulang V emblem yung likod. Yung 3.2 dati na 4x4 mas okay pa daw ang powerband kaysa 2.5 na naka vgt na. Ramdam parin lag sa 2.5 eh pero sa 3.2 di gano. Linear sa 3.2 habang peaky sa 2.5. Mga vgt lang may 5-speed na a/t since 2012 pero gtv since 2011 pa.

Since sa mindanao pala kayo based, then I guess di gaanong common ang tb dyan unlike here sa metro manila. So wag na pala yun.

7. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    You will know that the fortuner has vnt once you see a scoop in its hood. All those vnt models, either 2.5 or 3.0, have 343nm of torque, if I'm not mistaken and they are only available on the diesel variants. Non-vnts don't have hood scoops. Only the 2.5 4x2 models of the last facelift (2012-2016) before the 2nd gen release are the ones to gain vnts. 3.0 4x4s already have them since their first release in 2005. The first batch and first facelifted 4x2 models don't come with vnts for those that have the 2.5 diesel engines.
    Got it so its either 2009-2010 Forty 4x4s or the 2012 2.5L diesel.

We're going for Diesel only.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i think the fort has a turning circle of 12 meters. that means, turning radius is 6 meters. for comparison, the innova's is 5.3 meters yata, which, personally, i have issues over in our tight neighborhood.
    so if your neighborhood is as cramped as it seems to be... good luck, sir.

9. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i think the fort has a turning circle of 12 meters. that means, turning radius is 6 meters. for comparison, the innova's is 5.3 meters yata, which, personally, i have issues over in our tight neighborhood.
    so if your neighborhood is as cramped as it seems to be... good luck, sir.
    Noted sir.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Not a believer of the SUA too and it wont have an impact on our decision, note is just for the stats and reasoning for our mom if we go the montero way. We found a 2010 GLS SE around the 700k budget and I think is a 3.2L, di ba mauhaw yun? As for the Montero GTVs they are at 800k range and na-viewing na namin yung 2012 GTV and it still looks brand new and low mileage with rims na din.
    [/B]
    Nagiging wide lang turning radius kapag gagamitin yung 4x4 mode.

I think hindi naman mauhaw basta magaan lang throttle. Yung ginagamit ko kasing 3.2 GLS SE sa province malakas talaga kasi less than 10 mins lang yung biyahe daily back and forth tapos flat out pa palagi kasi medyo mahirap pagalawin from standstill.

If GTV is also good. Medyo loaded compared sa 4x4 Fortuner of that period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast