New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    This will be my 1st time owning a 2million car.
    I like of course a car that is nice to look at but
    at the same time a fast car from a standstill..

This will also be my last purchased as i am
    nearing my optional retirement at 55 yrs old.

Just a little help guys.. Thank you all......

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The WRX is the quickest and most powerful among the three. It is also the most practical (seats 5 people and comes with a usable trunk). However, it is not really a looker. It has more brawn and angst, if you ask me.

If you just want the joy of driving, go with the MX5.

If you can spare more money, take a look at the Lexus IS350. It is classy and sporty at the same time. It is not a slouch when pitted against these three.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 12th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2018
    If it will be a secondary car, get the MX5. If you’ll need it as a people carrier, get the WRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinCycle View Post
    If it will be a secondary car, get the MX5. If you’ll need it as a people carrier, get the WRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

A WRX is an all-around daily performance compact car. If you want a weekend toy, it has to be the MX5.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    This is just my opinion...

MX5 - Best all around fun sports car plus a convertible. A/T version is ok but M/T is surely better. RF version is much better for our climate and looks very good as a fastback coupe.

BRZ/86 - Stiffer and better handling than the MX5 but not faster. Need to change stock tires to improve grip. Facelifted version since to have improved especially the interior.

WRX - More powerful than the first 2 but not that powerful also. Since its a sedan, sits higher so not everyone may like such a position for a sporty car. Not really sure if CVT is still fun though. But most practical since its a 4 door.

Personally, as a second car, I'd go for the MX5 especially if M/T is an option. Not the fastest nor best handling but might be the most fun.

6. Join Date
    May 2016
    MX5 definitely. You'll enjoy throwing it around the bends without even having to drive too quick. WRX looks too boy-racer, 86 is getting long in the tooth and the design isn't aging well.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    throwing your car in corners of metro manila? abit suicidal imo. smooth sweeping corners look tempting but mc riders love corners too.

leave the slowpokes in straights. power erday...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
    This is just my opinion...

MX5 - Best all around fun sports car plus a convertible. A/T version is ok but M/T is surely better. RF version is much better for our climate and looks very good as a fastback coupe.

BRZ/86 - Stiffer and better handling than the MX5 but not faster. Need to change stock tires to improve grip. Facelifted version since to have improved especially the interior.

WRX - More powerful than the first 2 but not that powerful also. Since its a sedan, sits higher so not everyone may like such a position for a sporty car. Not really sure if CVT is still fun though. But most practical since its a 4 door.

Personally, as a second car, I'd go for the MX5 especially if M/T is an option. Not the fastest nor best handling but might be the most fun.
    Just because the WRX is a sedan doesn't mean it sits higher. The WRX has a similar ground clearance as the BRZ. However, the WRX is heavier than the other two due to its AWD platform. It offers a lot of grip though with its very capable AWD system, even very capable in low traction surfaces like snow. In terms of power and torque, it has loads of it for its size; 268Hp/350Nm compared to the 200hp/205Nm of the BRZ and 160hp/200Nm of the MX5. Since its engine is turbocharged, you get peak torque at below 3k rpm all the way up to redline. A simple tune will push the output of the FA20 to JDM specs of 300hp/400Nm.

There are a couple of bashers with what Subaru did with the WRX/FXT by pairing the FA20 turbo engine to a CVT tranny. It may not have the shifting quickness feel of a DCT or the newer ATs but what it does best is that the combo keeps itself within the power band all the time. Look at Honda now, they are also pairing a CVT tranny to a turbo engine. For those who want to row their own levers, you can get a WRX in MT tranny.

If you want a quick-shifting, good handling, and quick car for about the same price, look at the VW Golf GTi. It is FWD though but it is the one of the best handling cars ever designed. It has the sleeper look that hides its true capabilities.
    Last edited by Egan101; February 21st, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Amongst your choices id go for the MX5. Looks great, handles even better and will be ageless (you did say this will be the last car you will buy). It is NOT slow. Encountered a few on the road when i still had my v8 mustang. They like to play and they play hard. Super nimble and quick enough to give my mustang a hard workout.

The WRX as Egan mentioned is more practical and has a more powerful motor. But i have driven it many times and it has absolutely zero sensation of speed and power. And thats because of the CVT. Yes it is fast. The numbers dont lie. But it does NOT feel fast and doesnt induce any grins. Avoid CVTs in any performance application like the plague. And i have tried to really like this car....used it in different roads and conditions, different sport and sport # modes, with and without using the paddles. Just didnt do it for me. There is no kick. None. And i have driven lots of cars with similar performance so i know what im talking about.

The BRZ and 86 are great cars as well with very little separating them against the Mazda Mx5. They are a tiny bit more practical as they have a bit more room.

But id go for thr mx5. Just a stunner. In RF guise thank you very much.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ EQ sums it up. The MX5 is the primary choice for a fun quick car, the WRX for the practical fast car.

There is truth in the lack of sensation of speed with Subaru's FA20-CVT combo. Even if you're pushing the vehicle past 200kmh, it does not feel that you are driving fast. The only indication of the speed is that you can hear the wind howling outside and the view outside rushing away from you. My Fiesta Ecoboost at over 150kmh even "feels" faster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast