New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    hello to the people of tsikot.com! happy new year to everyone.

i'm new here and has been reading the threads for the past few days. i'm looking into buying a 2nd hand toyota corolla sometime soon and i need help choosing which model to buy.

i'm not very knowledgeable about cars as this will be my very first so i need your help. what are the pros and cons of the XE and GLI models? which one do you think is better in terms of fuel efficiency and maintenance? i read somewhere that XE models are carbureted while GLis use EFIs. tama po ba? maybe you can share your opinions about this also.

thanks in advance!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by taxo_p View Post
    hello to the people of tsikot.com! happy new year to everyone.

i'm new here and has been reading the threads for the past few days. i'm looking into buying a 2nd hand toyota corolla sometime soon and i need help choosing which model to buy.

i'm not very knowledgeable about cars as this will be my very first so i need your help. what are the pros and cons of the XE and GLI models? which one do you think is better in terms of fuel efficiency and maintenance? i read somewhere that XE models are carbureted while GLis use EFIs. tama po ba? maybe you can share your opinions about this also.

thanks in advance!!!
    yes. XEs are carburated and GLis are injected. but imho, the XEs offer better fuel consumption than the GLis.

XEs are improved version of the XL variant, so 1300 ang engine, carburated, power windows, power steering and may mags na.

GLis eh 1600 ang engine, all power, mags.

if you are looking for a fuel efficient unit, get the XE. good for everyday use.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    +1 for XEs only. Fewer electronic parts to maintain. Mas fuel efficient pa kaysa sa XL or GLI variant.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    My XE 95 model still runs well averaging 10-11km/l mixed driving. matibay siya at walang kalampag. Change oil at aircon cleaning lang ang nagastos ko sa kanya for the past 6 months. Very reliable. 12 years in use.. Hindi naman kasi ako kaskasero. Maingat ako magdrive sa malulubak na daan.Size is OK, hindi masikip like other subcompacts.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    thanks for all the replies. it's XE then. now all i have to do is find one within my budget.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    i beg to differ with the first 3 posts on the XE, on my exp the fuel consumption of the GLI is almost if not more or less the same as the XE, i think this is because XE (being a 1300 displacement) needs a little bit more revving to make it move and that consumes slightly more fuel, the GLI on the other hand which has a higher hp and torque will need less rev to make it move, although the GLI is slightly more heavier because of the added features the 1600 makes up for it (adequate power not fast but not slow either), the XE is also a bit heavier than the XL but has the same engine so if fuel consumption is your main concern i'd suggest get the GLI model. but which ever you choose you can never go wrong with a corolla. by the way which corolla model are you asking about, the bigbody or the lovelife?
    Last edited by 170kphlang; January 7th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    I have both. Gli big body and XE lovelife. I use XE most of the time to take my daughter to and from school. i only use the GLi when XE is coded.XE is ideal for city driving but when i comes to out of town, i prefer to use GLi. Mas matipid GLi pag highway and mas malakas torque so it's easier to overtake and XE naman pag city driving. But i love both.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    hmm... good point. i'm based in silang, cavite so not much city driving for me. GLi is starting to look good. dont know about "bigbody" and "lovelife" tho. will do more research.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    medyo OT: i'm browsing the net right now and noticed that mazdas are cheaper that toyotas and hondas.

my budget is around 150 - 170k for a 2nd hand car. with this budget i can get a 93 - 94 corolla. with the same budget i can easily get a 1997 or 1998 mazda 323 GLi. what's wrong with a mazda that it's resale price is lower? tempting kasi.

thanks in advance.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    corolla lovelife nasa 180-190 na lang po

toyota XE and GLi: pros and cons