New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Hi Car Gurus/Enthusiasts,

I need your advise please on which is the best bang for the buck SUV to buy these days. I was able to test drive Nissan XTRAIL CVT edition 4x4 and mukang ok naman siya. I'm a CRV user for almost 8 years.

So far, here are my choices:
    Nissan Xtrail CVT Edition 4x2
    Mitsubishi ASX (bago lang ito but i dont have any feedbacks yet on this)

Budget: 1.2 - 1.3M

Please provide more suggestions and i would appreciate feedbacks of the car as well.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    between the 2, i'll get the xtrail.

ayaw mo ba ng tucson?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    2nd hand TOTL Tucson or MS if meron nagbebenta.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    He-he! Wala agad magbebenta ng mga Tucson Premium, masyado pa kami nagagandahan

My vote goes to Nissan X-Trail. Palit mags nalang.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Not considering the Tucson 2.0 GLS?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Baka sabihin nag lalabasan nanaman ang Tucson fan boys

Dun lang tayo sa gusto ni TS. Hahaha

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by choypaul View Post
    Hi Car Gurus/Enthusiasts,

I need your advise please on which is the best bang for the buck SUV to buy these days. I was able to test drive Nissan XTRAIL CVT edition 4x4 and mukang ok naman siya. I'm a CRV user for almost 8 years.

So far, here are my choices:
    Nissan Xtrail CVT Edition 4x2
    Mitsubishi ASX (bago lang ito but i dont have any feedbacks yet on this)

Budget: 1.2 - 1.3M

Please provide more suggestions and i would appreciate feedbacks of the car as well.

The Mitsubishi ASX is actually a CUV or small SUV. The cargo space is smaller than what you would find in a X-Trail or CRV but still big enough for most jobs. If you need more space, the one press fold down of the rear seats more than doubles the useful cargo space inside the ASX.

The ride comfort is nearly car-like for most road conditions. Interior passenger space is good with generous headroom & legroom for both front and rear passengers. Exterior styling, the looks is based on the Mitsubishi EVO X so expectedly the ASX has aggressive looks which is very eye catching people you drive by.

Performance is very good with the ASX 2.0 2WD M/T & CVT version doing 10 and 11 seconds for the 0-100kph sprint. Fuel economy figures are around 7-8km/L mixed city driving and does well over 10km/L highway with some owners reporting 12km/L in real world driving conditions.

The ASX is equipped with a 2DIN touchscreen multimedia entertainment system with GPS. There is a remote on the steering wheel so you don't have to take your hand off the wheel to change volume or radio stations. The GPS works fine and locks on to the signal quickly but might require some learning to get the hang of using it.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 6th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hi TS, how do you plan to use your SUV? Will it be a fair mix of on-road and rough-road? Or will it be more on-road? Will you be doing long drives or short drives?

Between the two, I'd say the X-Trail would be your best bet if you have long drives and a significant amount of rough-roading. The X-trail has a great suspension, with the ride being very comfy, even on rough roads. It also has a very good power output of 170 hp*6000 rpm and torque of 245 Nm*4000rpm. Space-wise, it's really very comfy for passengers and the cargo area is big. Note that I have the older X-Trail 250 4x4, which I find both powerful already and has a significant space, yet the CVT edition has upgraded power and slightly bigger dimensions, so you do the math The downside of the older X-trail is poor city fuel consumption, where I average 5, and if lucky I hit 5.5 km/L. The CVT version should be better. Highway driving is very good, though. I easily hit 11 km/L and at one point, hit 13 km/L while averaging 110 kph. The CVT edition should easily surpass that.

If it is more of city driving that you will do with some long-haul drives to provinces, then the ASX is a good choice.The default cargo area is much smaller than the X-Trail's, but foldable rear seats will increase the volume, though if you carry a lot of cargo and passengers, then it could get a bit cramped. The smaller size of the ASX (as compared to the X-Trail) makes it more nimble than the X-Trail, though, which is very useful in city traffic. The ASX would also have a bit more stiffer suspension than the X-trail, so handling and performance is better in this regard as opposed to the X-trail. With the x-trail, you can feel significant body roll on tight turns at significant speed (though why would you do that in the first place in an X-trail? lol)

My take is that if comfort and power is your primary concern, go get the X-trail; if you prefer something more sporty in terms of handling, then get the ASX. The X-trail has the stronger pulling (and carrying) power, the ASX has the better handling. Oh, the stock ASX also has more toys, with a GPS unit included, while the stock CVT X-trail doesn't. The ASX comes equipped with 17-inch alloys, the X-trail with 16 inchers. And the ASX comes with paddle shifters, a big deal if you like going zoom-zoom

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    thanks to all suggestions. very much appreciated.

*all
    i wont be using it on rough roads. so ok na sa akin yung mga 4x2 na SUV. simply just for everyday city driving, or minsan out of town. any feedbacks on the hyundai tucson?

actually, my personal choice is hyundai tucson.. pero since si ermat bibili at pera niya, ayaw daw nya hyundai kasi korean made cars. wala pa daw siya tiwala.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by choypaul View Post
    thank you all for your suggestions. actually, my personal choice is hyundai tucson.. pero since si ermat bibili at pera niya, ayaw daw nya hyundai kasi korean made cars. wala pa daw siya tiwala.

any inputs sa tucson? ito rin gusto ko eh.

I think there are build quality issues with the current model Tucson.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Which SUV to buy with a 1.2-1.3M budget