New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Ei i'm a newbie here in tsikot, i would like to ask if there's a forum between terrano vs cr-v?If none, my mom plans to buy a 2nd hand suv and he lets me seek what suv we're going to buy. My mom wants a cr-v but when i found the review it looks like the cr-v is not worth when it comes to FC. While the terrano based on what i read is much better comapre to cr-v and other suvs'. Can you help which one should we buy?Currently we have an old school 1992 Pajero. Hope you can help.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    welcome to tsikot

your predicament is not unique. i've had the same before and we chose the local diesel terrano (over the crv, rav4 and auvs). these are what i considered:

1. bahain sa amin at hindi masyado maganda ang daan. so we needed the ride height and 'flood-capability'.

2. we didn't need the extra seats so di kami nag full sized suv or auv. so a 5-seat 'mini'-suv would suffice.

3. suv and good FC are not synonymous. the only alternative would be gas-converted to lpg or diesel. i prefer to keep the engine stock so i wanted diesel.

4. the 4x4 system is just a plus but it would be nice to have it just in case i decided go into trailing hehe. (maybe not much use to your mom though)

so the terrano fit into my criteria kaya yun ang kinuha namin (well, sa no.3 obvious na sya kasi walang diesel ang crv or rav4). as we used it, these are what we like about it:

1. ride quality. its soft yet stable. hindi matagtag.
    2. driveability. though mukha syang malaki at macho, it's really not that hard to drive or navigate through tight places. parang pang-kotse ang turning radius. i've seen a grandma driving one.
    3. the fold-flat seats. we've used it a few times na to load long appliances and furniture.
    4. FC is relatively good at 8-9 kms/l in city and 10-11 kms/l in highway
    5. lamig ng aircon.
    6. reclining rear seats.
    7. ok naman ang space.
    8. so far it's very reliable and maintenance is not much of a pain. parts supply and prices are ok.

what we don't like:
    1. ang bagal! hehe. but you'll get used to it.
    2. walang matic. unless paconvert mo or get a SUVic.
    3. walang intermittent wiper. i miss it lalo na sa ambon.
    4. ang bagal! ooops nasabi ko na ata yun hehe
    5. seating position in the rear is not that comfortable. pickup based sya kaya "seat on the floor" experience.
    6. baba ng headroom.

so far no regrets. the crv is also a nice suv and from how i see it, it's more mommy-ish. if FC is a concern, try checking the rav4. the terrano, with its looks, old school 4x4 system and diesel engine is kinda 'hardcore' if you ask me. but again, it all boils down to your needs and preferences. good luck! HTH

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think for your mom, the CRV is much better.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Mas ok if crv mom mo kasi gagamit. Its more spacious too

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    crv if for your mom and good for you also.. yung FC hindi na yan nagkakalayo sa terrano.. Terrano is my ofc service vehicle before.. ingay nyan lalo pag late na uwi ko.. sinisigawan ako ng kapitbahay namin para daw sarao jeep... sorry sa mga my terrano pero toto yun..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest1983 View Post
    Ei i'm a newbie here in tsikot, i would like to ask if there's a forum between terrano vs cr-v?If none, my mom plans to buy a 2nd hand suv and he lets me seek what suv we're going to buy. My mom wants a cr-v but when i found the review it looks like the cr-v is not worth when it comes to FC. While the terrano based on what i read is much better comapre to cr-v and other suvs'. Can you help which one should we buy?Currently we have an old school 1992 Pajero. Hope you can help.
    Why limit your choices to the CRV? Anyway, avoid the 2nd generation CRV because the engine is a fuel guzzler. The first generation CRV gets better fuel mileage but it is an older vehicle so finding one in good condition will be difficult.

You can also check the Nissan X-Trail if it would fit your mom.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Does your mom drive the 1992 Pajero? If so there's no problem driving the 1998 Terrano.

Pero bagay nga yong genI CRV sa babae. But I favor the genII RAV4---a more recent vehicle with a more acceptable fuel consumption.

X trail is similar to the genII CRV--malakas sa gas.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Wow thanks for the big help, i'll let you know guys pan nka bili na kami..thanks agian

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    The X-Trail from what I have read on the forum gets better mileage than a CR-V. A Rav-4 will also grant you 8 km/l given that the car is properly maintained and economy driving.

If she would like to get good figures, then she might want to consider station wagons.
    iam3739.com

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    I have 2 Terrano diesels and my brother in law has a CRV. Lakas daw sa gas ng CRV about 5-6kml while the Terranos do 8-9kml. Malayo yung fuel economy unless Terrano gas ang kukunin mo. Terrano diesel is much bigger and slower than the CRV. Diesel rigs require much more maintenance like religous change oil every 3 months (which i think every vehicle should be doing anyway) and calibration every 3 or 4 years. The CRV is more like a station wagon with all wheel drive while the Terrano is more like a truck with real 4X4 full time duty differentials. Both drive like a car but you feel the CRV is really smaller. Both are ok for the city. BTW, both my terranos are quiet diesels.

I think your mom is better off in a smaller vehicle. If you want to save on gas and you need it small enough for your mom, try a suzuki vitara instead - m/t does 7-9kml stay away from matics that do 4-5kml.

Does your mom really need a 4x4?

If your mom just needs a station wagon, try a Suzuki Esteem matipid sa gas (12-13kml according to 2 friends that have m/t versions 7kml for matic) but limited in parts pero meron naman makukunan and cheap replacements are available in selected shops OR Opel Astra cheap in gas but super expensive in parts and no surplus parts (or super difficult / rare to come by) in banaue or evangelista. Mitsubishi Space Wagon din pala is another option. My friend says his does 8kml daw for an m/t. Dami parts nito. All these wagons are priced below P200k.

1998 Nissan Terrano vs. 2000 Honda CR-V