New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GLS vs Honda City 1.5 E

Price difference (of around 75k without discounts) aside, these two cars are almost the same. Everything else considered, which car do you guys think is the better buy? Details to focus on are the following (no particular order):

- passenger comfort (interior space)
    - ride quality (suspension, etc)
    - engine performance (for sudden overtaking)
    - fuel consumption (1.6 CVVT vs 1.5 AT)
    - maintenance cost

Car will be used in the metro and weekend trips to Pampanga. Usual passengers/drivers will be the parents (early 60s). Exterior design is not much of a concern as this is relative anyway but my dad wants disc brakes with the rear wheels (dunno why, hindi naman mapapansin yun unless bumabaha). A/T requirement is a given.

With discounts, Mitsubishi gives the Lancer at around 700k while Honda sticks to its given price list. Is the approx 120k difference worth it?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The seats in the Lancer GLS is more comfortable/softer than the ones found in the City.

The City has a surprisingly big seating space, especially at the rear seats which gives loads of leg room.

Ride quality of the City is a bit stiff but still acceptable as "comfortable".

Unfortunately I have not driven the Lancer GLS.

But given the P120,000 price difference, the Lancer GLS is a bargain.

-----------------------------

I assume the City is 10% more efficient than the Lancer GLS and I started a short computation to see how many tanks of gasoline it would take to catch up in gasoline costs vs purchase price.

For the price difference (between the Lancer & City) to get even, you'll need to do over 700 full tanks of gasoline.

That's a lot of gas and driving.

So it's another plus for the Mitsu Lancer GLS
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 15th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    If you want a latest model, go for the City. Kapag nasa budget ka at di mo kailangan ng newer models, go for the Lancer. (City 1.5 E price at P816K while the Lancer GLS at P725K).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drich_enriquez View Post
    If you want a latest model, go for the City. Kapag nasa budget ka at di mo kailangan ng newer models, go for the Lancer. (City 1.5 E price at P816K while the Lancer GLS at P725K).
    Mitsubishi has discounts on the P745K price of the Lancer GLS, worth PHP47K.

That comes down to a price of P698K for the Lancer GLS.

Mitsubishi October Price List

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

I assume the City is 10% more efficient than the Lancer GLS and I started a short computation to see how many tanks of gasoline it would take to catch up in gasoline costs vs purchase price.

For the price difference (between the Lancer & City) to get even, you'll need to do over 700 full tanks of gasoline.

That's a lot of gas and driving.

So it's another plus for the Mitsu Lancer GLS
    just to make a clearer picture... at 700 gas tanks and assuming 50 liters of gas... and assuming a consumption of 7km/l city driving... 35000 liters which is 245,000 kilometers... if you drive about 50km a day (here in baguio, that is a lot... baguio to la union is less than 45 kms), that would be roughly 1,600 kms per month but let us just round it to 2000 for the sake of discussion...

2000 km/month * 12 months = 24,000 kilometers

conclusion... it will take roughly ten years for the the city to finally say that it is *winning* the *fuel consumption+price difference* race...

lancer for me... though already old...

but then again, if you factor in PMS... medyo magbabago siguro ang equation...

nevertheless, the lancer still gets my vote... i almost got this one before but we opted for a bigger one...

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    had this problem one year ago...bought the city 1.5 E and no regrets.

actually, di naman sila magka-level talaga but for me:

mas malaki interior space ng city. mas bago sya. kudos din sa PMS.

HTH.

for more info about the city, feel free to visit... http://www.hondacityclubph.com

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    thanks for the quick replies. it seems na ok pa rin ang lancer. 698k vs 821k is a big difference.

actually, at first city 1.3 a/t lang yung comparison dapat (making the price difference more relevant - 698k vs 771k) but my dad kept pushing on rear disc brakes. umakyat tuloy doon sa 1.5.

i should bring him to both showrooms one of these days to see for himself and testdrive both na rin (always best to do this anyway).

thanks again, hoping for more input.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    city gets my vote.

although mura lancer, yung interior niya has not changed much from the past. exterior, not a fan as well. lalo sa resale, drrrop naman talaga.

mas powerful engine ng honda, our city 09 1.3 m/t can accelerate well. in all aspects, city wins it. except for the price (i dont think you would be putting it head to head if its out of budget).

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Maganda talaga ang new honda city lalo na yung E. Maluwag ang rear leg room at mas bago talaga ang styling at engine. Pero mas subok na ang Mitsubishi Lancer GLS. At 100km/h, 1900 lang ang rpm kaya mababa ang FC. and at 155 km/h walang vibration at smooth ang takbo. Maganda din ang suspension ng lancer. Mataas ang ground clearance nito kaya kahit may 3 adults sa likod hindi sumasayad sa humps na mataas at hindi sumasayad yung front sa sidewalk.

Lancer 1.6 GLS vs City 1.5E