New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Would you still keep/buy an old classic sedan like the Toyota 1998 Corolla or buy a newer one with better crash safety features?

"People are twice as likely to die in a crash if the car they’re travelling in was built before 2000. This is demonstrated by the results of this car-to-car crash test conducted by independent vehicle safety advocate ANCAP."

ANCAP crash 1998 Toyota Corolla in to 2015-built counterpart - YouTube

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post
    Would you still keep/buy an old classic sedan like the Toyota 1998 Corolla or buy a newer one with better crash safety features?

"People are twice as likely to die in a crash if the car they’re travelling in was built before 2000. This is demonstrated by the results of this car-to-car crash test conducted by independent vehicle safety advocate ANCAP."

if i can not afford a newer one, then i have no choice but to keep on using the 1998 car.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 8th, 2018 at 01:14 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post

Depends, I have an old 1995 Accord, drives fine and has no issues currently. But it has no airbags and is getting old so I expect more parts to fail eventually. Radiator, Alternator, Aircon Evap have all been replaced, has some rust spots as well.

However since I frequently drive on SLEX/C5/Skyway with cars at speeds up to 100kmh I decided to get a newer vehicle for safety reasons. If I would be using the car only for short runs to the bank or grocery driving on slower roads at less than 50km/h speeds I would not purchase a new vehicle.

If I could afford any car then its a no brainer, newer is better and more comfy. If on a budget I would decide on priorities.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Everyone will buy a new car if they can afford it...

It's safer, more efficient and more reliable.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    How about the 1998 pizza pie Lancer?

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Save up for a new car. I decided to let go of my Corolla 98 because of safety.