New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    this should be a tough decision.
    they cost almost exactly the same (give or take a few thousands).

Tucson
    + gasoline engine! no scary D4D
    + all power
    + Hyundai #2 in 2005 JD Power survey
    + made in Korea
    - it's not a Toyota
    - much less cargo and passenger capacity

Innova E
    + turbodiesel! should be more fuel-efficient
    + all power
    + it's a Toyota!
    + ladder frame chassis, it's more SUV than the Tucson
    - made in Thailand
    - scary D4D engine woes

no sense comparing the Innova J since the J is power-nothing. While the Innova G (gas or diesel) is way over the Tucson in price (although much less than the Tucson CRDI).

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I own a Tucson CRDI 2.0 and am very happy with its performance. It's everything I've every wanted in an SUV at a lesser price. Korean cars I've heard are topping the charts/surveys. Maybe in time they will beat Japanese brands...

The ride is so smooth and quiet, and with regards to cargo space, I'm pretty much satisfied with it. The speakers/soundsystem that comes with it is awesome already for me, and the way the roof is made, it gives me more than enough protection from the sun (I get migraines!) It's really a no brainer, TUCSON wins!!!!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Tucson, I'd suppose. The only advantage the Innova has is the third row space. Since the Tucson is sold in Europe and the US, so it should meet higher safety regulations than the Innova in terms of chassis stiffness and crash structure (even if it doesn't have airbags or ABS). Plus better ride and handling.

Plus, with the increasingly high profile of Hyundai, their resale value can only improve. Now if only they could solidify manufacturer aftersales support for their vehicles.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Yay!!!!Mannufacturer after sales support? OMG... I hope they do this fast and quick.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Yay!!!!Manufacturer after sales support? OMG... I hope they do this fast and quick.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Tucson, I'd suppose. The only advantage the Innova has is the third row space.
    That's quite a bit. One could carry a fridge in an Innova, but not in a Tucson. Granted, you don't haul a fridge every day, but it's nice to have that functionality..

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, the Innova has a ladder-frame chassis. It should have higher ground clearance than the Tucson, plus a tougher bottom. Now you may not think this is relevant, but I want to drive to Sagada one of these days. The Tucson only has 7.1" of ground clearance, a measly 1" more than the Mazda 626 (yes, I checked!) so it would still be somewhat of a risk to take a Tucson up there. Might bust the suspension.

Now I know Sagada is really more of 4x4 low-range gearing territory, but a true 4x4 is significantly more expensive (except the Grand Vitara I suppose..)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I own a Tucson 2.0L CVVT automatic. Prior to my purchase, I was considering a Mazda 3V or an Innova E. The other entry lever SUV's were out of the question since it was beyond my budget of 1M. I've test driven both including the other SUV's (CRV, X-trail, Escape) and the Focus and was bent on getting me a Mazda 3. Then I saw the just released Tucson gas at a showroom near my place. I honestly never considered getting a Korean car at first but was impressed with the features and performance and amazed at the price that i settled for the Tuc in the end.

It may not be as long (but it's wider) that the Innova but all the passenger seats fold flat all the way to the front giving you room to squeeze in a fridge (if you dare lay horizontally). I sometimes work while on the road and I use the flat folding passenger seat as a table for my laptop. I've also slept in it comfortably once while out of town. I'm the second guy from work that has a Tucson and with it's smooth ride, generous space (I'm 6' tall), quiet engine, adequate power, reasonable fuel economy, solid built, good sound system, etc. etc...two other colleagues from work are getting a Tucson as well. The Innova and Fortuner are truck based so it rides like a truck while the Tucson is car based so go figure.

In the end, it all boils down to what your priorities are. But if you're looking for a good value SUV, I would definitely recommend the Tuc. You get more for at least around 200k less than other small SUV's. In as far as reliability, Hyundai has yet to achieve the brand image of its Japanese counterparts but it's fast catching up (in the US and Europe at least) and even besting them on some attributes.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The Innova and Fortuner are truck based so it rides like a truck while the Tucson is car based so go figure.
    yeah, having not driven any truck-based vehicle, i can't guess how bad (?) it is. but the same argument goes the other way -- you'd take a truck places where you wouldn't dare take a car. now you might be thinking "who the h*ll drives to sagada?!?! and how often" yeah it's probably a once-in-two-years kind of thing. but that's one of my impracticalities.

i still personally think the Tucson is a better choice than an Innova E. but the Innova E can do several things the Tucson can't do (but it does these things rather crudely by comparison).

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    You get surrounded in a world of plastics when you get into a Tucson. However given the comparison against the Innova, they both are cheap afterall and quality at your fingertips should be a lesser factor than the amenities.

The front of the Tucson is ugly, for most. But honestly, there's a slight probability that it could grow on people... for being different but not as being hideous as a Ssangyong.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    You get surrounded in a world of plastics when you get into a Tucson.
    It really is a plastic world in there but I'm fine with it. I'm rather more concerned with the exterior. It's seems pretty solid and that counts a lot for safety. Makes me feel more secure driving it compared to my previous "tin can" Revo.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    The front of the Tucson is ugly, for most. But honestly, there's a slight probability that it could grow on people... for being different but not as being hideous as a Ssangyong.
    Likewise, I didn't like it (the two-tone) at first but the monotone somehow grows on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tucson 2.0 CVVT vs Innova E