New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    A little background first.
    • It will serve primarily as a family car (3 kids) but I might use it to drive to the office (though not daily depending on fuel efficiency).
    • This is our first car.
    • My wife has a very strong preference towards an A/T.
    • I know almost nothing about cars but have a few people that I trust and can ask/get help from.
    • I cannot go over 500k and intend to sell the car and buy a new/better one in a year or two (my budget constraints will be much better by then)
    • My kids like the starex but I think that it's a too big.
    • I might also consider buying a sedan if it turns out to be a better choice.

I've been looking at the 2nd Gen CRV, Mazda Tribute, Mitsu Outlander, Ford Escape, Nissan X-Trail and other similar vehicles. I have heard good things about the Crosswind and Revo but (no offense to anyone) I do not like the stylings of either car. I've been reading the theads here and it seems like the 1st gen CRV is a good choice but I hesitate because they obviously will have more wear and tear than newer cars.

What do you guys think? Any tips/comments/advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Why not stretch the budget and get brand new?? since first car kamo and you dont know much about cars.. getting 2nd hand is risky, madaming na ondoy.. baka sumakit lang ulo mo at ma trauma sa 1st car nyo.. 3 kids.. 500T.. you can get a brand new avanza J 1.3.. kaya lang manual yun.. yung matic na avanza nasa 800T+.. konti na lang din..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    _Qwerty_: Thanks for the reply. Hindi ko ma stretch ung budget ko this year past 500k, madami din ibang expenses. Also, whatever vehicle I buy is likely going to get sold in the next year or two so that I can buy a better one (I will have less budgetary constraints then) hence, depreciation is a major consideration for me. As for the Avanza, tinignan kasi namin un sa Toyota, didn't like it (again no offense to anyone) because it felt cheap, tsaka un nga manual ang (close to) pasok sa budget.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    kung mahalaga ang resale value sir sa honda crv kana. kaso mga hangang 2003 or 4 lang siguro ang mabibili niyo.

mas ayos kung xtrail nalang. sa budget niyo pwede ng makahanap ng 2005 xtrail 250x tingin tingin lang sa sulit, carfinder, autolink, kotsemo, ayosdito makakahanap ka din ng sariwa

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    fullmetal: Salamat. Hindi naman top consideration ko ung resale value. As long as konti lang ung depreciation. Kung mas ok ng malayo ung x-trail pero slightly lower resale value, I'd choose that over the CRV.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Pajero din siguro pwede.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    CRV and Xtrail gets my vote. But it would be a shame to go for a second hand. IMO, a less depreciated 2006-2009 subcompact car would be better.

Actually, a secondhand Starex isn't a bad idea. You shouldn't worry about the space, it's actually the biggest selling point of the Starex . The fuel efficiency is offset by the lower prices of diesel compared to unleaded gas...

In fact, I think I would go and recommend a secondhand Starex now. Timeless looks too

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by throwawayact View Post
    A little background first.
    • It will serve primarily as a family car (3 kids) but I might use it to drive to the office (though not daily depending on fuel efficiency).
    • This is our first car.
    • My wife has a very strong preference towards an A/T.
    • I know almost nothing about cars but have a few people that I trust and can ask/get help from.
    • I cannot go over 500k and intend to sell the car and buy a new/better one in a year or two (my budget constraints will be much better by then)
    • My kids like the starex but I think that it's a too big.
    • I might also consider buying a sedan if it turns out to be a better choice.

I've been looking at the 2nd Gen CRV, Mazda Tribute, Mitsu Outlander, Ford Escape, Nissan X-Trail and other similar vehicles. I have heard good things about the Crosswind and Revo but (no offense to anyone) I do not like the stylings of either car. I've been reading the theads here and it seems like the 1st gen CRV is a good choice but I hesitate because they obviously will have more wear and tear than newer cars.

What do you guys think? Any tips/comments/advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA
    The CRV doesn't look very nice to me, and its known to be a guzzler and have mediocre performance, but being a Honda resale value is not bad. The Tribute/Escape are very nice family vehicles, parts are very durable as compared to the CRV and can withstand long term abuse and if in 4WD trim, even some real offroading. The Outlander that can be bought at 500k is the 1st gen model. It's got that Evo VII chassis but the engine is a major letdown. The X-Trail is the best choice among these, as its got the most room, is youthful and athletic, and offers good performance as well as good resale value. Ever considered the 1st generation Tucson? If you can find one that suits your budget, its a really good car too, with the thriftiness, torque and durability of a diesel. As for the Starex, your kids have made the right choice. I highly suggest you get this car. Its not as long as you think, its just that the hood is short which gives more space for the cabin. It is, in fact, shorter than most midsize SUVs. I suggest you get the 2004 Starex GRX CRDi, some are selling at just SLIGHTLY above 500k. You can forego selling this after a few years as this will serve you very well indeed. That engine will be able to smoke Fortuners and Monteros and still give a more comfortable ride than both!

Here's one at 540k: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...Hyundai+Starex

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Looks like its Starex vs. X-Trail. With Starex leading by a hair or two. Hmm... Gonna have to give the Starex a second look. How is it as far as durability is concerned?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    May yaya ka bang sinasama sa trip.. Suggest ko lang get the biggest car that you can get... You may never know that the extra space will be used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help me choose a 2nd Hand SUV Budget 500k