New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Guys, I need help. I'm going crazy deciding on this matter. I'm going to buy a car really soon (like end of Feb 06), and I still haven't settled this. I'm choosing between the top of the line 1.5VTEC Honda City and the entry level 1.6J Toyota Altis. For a little more than the City, I could already have the Altis. However, I can't bear the fact that the Altis is sooo bare, while the City is fully loaded (ABS, Electronic power steering, dual airbags, 15" mags, etc.). Add to that the fuel efficiency of the City. My gf drives a 1.6J Altis, and she can't fathom my choice of the Honda City. I just want to know one thing: is the City worth it? Or should I still choose the entry-level, sparely loaded Altis 1.6J? HELP!!!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I would also appreciate some views on:
    1. Maintenance costs - I have some idea about the Altis, but not about the City
    2. Build quality - the Altis is a good car, but how is the City? Does it age gracefully (paint/interior components)?
    3. Fun to drive/safety at high speeds (100kph up)
    4. Size - yeah the Altis is bigger, but does that mean better?
    5. Fuel efficiency - the City has a 1.5 engine, but if you drive responsibly, wouldn't you get the same fuel savings with the altis 1.6, and still have the reserve power in case you need it?

Thanks!!!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Ako Altis me. Bigger is better! Yun lang, how good are you at wet driving? Important din yung ABS a. But if you know how to brake wet, you don't need it. That's about all you need from the City imho. Mura lang to get decent local mags & I seriously hope na di mo gagamitin yung airbag anytime soon.

Dba kaw nagsabi na mukhang flowerhorn fish yung City?

Tawag namin ng sis ko sa City 21st century golf cart. Wag po sana ma-offend mga City owners.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    altis din. solid ang ride, and spacious inside.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Nugundam and Flagg, for your views! So, if I understand correctly, Altis kahit entry-level? The City has MP3, optitron gauges, beverage holders, foldable ULT rear seats, etc., pero Altis pa rin? How do you figure? Is it just a matter of taste?

To other guys who want to help: Please keep the discussion between the Honday City 1.5 VTEC and the Toyota Altis 1.6J. I'm not looking at any other cars. Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Yung Altis di folding seats? Umm, me di ko kasi need mga options mentioned mo. Except for the cupholders na I think standard for all cars 1995 up. Size and engine is what I like. (Plus I really don't like the City)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    the entry level altis doesn't have diddly squat. No cup holders, no ABS, no MP3, mas malakas sa gas. Power steering, power doorlocks, power windows, power side mirrors, and that's it.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    the entry level altis doesn't have diddly squat. No cup holders, no ABS, no MP3, mas malakas sa gas. Power steering, power doorlocks, power windows, power side mirrors, and that's it.
    I think they added a driver's airbag for the new Altis 1.6J.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Thanks Nugundam and Flagg, for your views! So, if I understand correctly, Altis kahit entry-level? The City has MP3, optitron gauges, beverage holders, foldable ULT rear seats, etc., pero Altis pa rin? How do you figure? Is it just a matter of taste?

To other guys who want to help: Please keep the discussion between the Honday City 1.5 VTEC and the Toyota Altis 1.6J. I'm not looking at any other cars. Thanks!
    lemme include the vios only for this time as a guide. is the vios as big inside as the city? kasi if YES, then i won't recommend the city because of interior space. i can barely fit inside a vios (taxi pa yung nasakyan ko dati) and i'm 6'1" and 130kg.

sa altis kasi, i have no problems fitting inside it, whether sa harap or likod, wag lang may 6' guy na uupo sa harap at ako naman sa likod niya at lagot legroom saken. hehehe!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Altis J has airbags already and an MP3 player. No ABS though.

I'd still get this over the City as its in a bigger vehicle class (which is my priority) and i do presume the value of this will hold better than the City. I almost got an Altis J last month but decided to get a 2nd hand instead.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
1.5 m/t Honda City or 1.6J Toyota Altis