New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hi guy's which of this 2 vehicle is more reliable.. Both vehicle is 1.8 engine but on the HP, the civic has an edge to this.. I saw the new ford focus last night sa MOA ok naman.... I'm planning to change my wife 2005 Lancer GLX manual transmission... pahinga muna sa tri diamond brand... she was very much fed-up on manual transmission she use this vehicle for city driving.. also, my neighbor is selling his 2004 BMW 316i for only 650K with only 16k on odo (presyong kapit bahay lang daw yun)... my wife likes the BMW so much ..... we never had a european car before and if ever this is our 1st time to buy a 2nd hand vehicle...some say that the maintenace of european vehicle is much higher compare to japanese and american car... I told to my wife medyo luma na yan but it was a BMW ok na daw yun...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    BMW high maintenance costs. I also had the same dillema as you exactly the same. I also wanted to buy a 2nd hand Bimmer and then came my dad and told me that I only wanted to buy the car to show off. And I guess deep in me I know he was right. So I ended buying the practical thing, a brand new Japanese car (Honda Civic). If you want the Focus ok lang din pero sa Focus gusto ko lang doon yung diesel high end version. My 2 pennies.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    BMW high maintenance costs. I also had the same dillema as you exactly the same. I also wanted to buy a 2nd hand Bimmer and then came my dad and told me that I only wanted to buy the car to show off. And I guess deep in me I know he was right. So I ended buying the practical thing, a brand new Japanese car (Honda Civic). If you want the Focus ok lang din pero sa Focus gusto ko lang doon yung diesel high end version. My 2 pennies.
    tha's what Im thinking the maintenance of the european car.. masyadong mataas.. i like also the high end focus diesel engine.. kaya lang its more than 1M.. on that price add more for small SUV/CUV... masyado na matutuwa si wifey ko nyan...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Focus diesel maintenance shouldn't be any more than any other CRDi.

I wouldn't recommend the Focus 1.8 AT... not enough performance to justify the fuel consumption, which in our testing was slightly higher than the Civic's. The 1.8 MT or 2.0 AT Focuses would be better choices. If it's the 1.8 AT hatchback... then... what the heck... go for it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    hi i cant say much on the 1.8 focus

i drive a 2.0 focus petrol hatch but i hope my input helps you one way or another

pros
    -very good handling. super responsive
    -mabilis ang arangkada
    -ganda ng ride comfort. ok i-long drive

cons
    -mejo malakas sa gas. i get around 7-7.5 city driving

my kuya drives a 1.8s civic. i sometimes use it. my thoughts

pros
    -mabilis rin ang arangkada, esp pag straight line
    -mas madami pwede lagyan sa interior like cups, maps, cds etc
    -mas tipid sa gas kahit papano.

cons
    -doesnt handle as breezely as my focus
    -stiff ride. ang tigas ng seats. para kang nsa classroom nung hi school hehe
    -mafifeel mo yung lubak.
    -daming kamukha (just a small petpeeve)

either way, both cars are good naman. just a matter of preferences perhaps in the design and performance. if you like japanese tech, go for the civic. if mejo elegant and laid back ang trip mo, go for the ford focus.

feeling mo nsa bmw ka. ang euro kasi ng dating sa loob and ride. hehehe

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Mas practical talaga ang Civic kasi japanese car yun. Mas mura ang maintenance, marami/madaling makahanap ng parts, at mataas ang resale value.

Sa maintenance ng BMW, talagang mahal. May 2002 Mini Cooper kami pero sa European Motors namin dinadala for PMS kasi sobra mahal sa CASA.

Change oil + tune up + oil filter = P7,000

2009 Ford Focus 1.8 A.T (gas)/2008 Honda Civic 1.8S A.T