Feb 2008
    CRV or Forester or CX5?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CX5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    The 2016 1.6T Tucson is the best in the US. Better than the 2L turbo of both Subaru and Ford in terms of power. Best FC in segment, beating Mazda CX5. Hyundai invest 50M-USD to develop this engine and its bringing the Tucson and the Elantra Sport to the top of their respective segments.

Too bad we only get the korean version cuvs. At least the diesel is very good.
    Last edited by StockEngine; February 13th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Forester XT or base forester?

Top end 2.4 cr v or base version?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    From my experience with the 3:

1. CR-V - doesn't stand out in this world of unique SUVs. The 2.0 engine is adequate and refined and it doesn't feel underpowered, but no longer has the verve of the first CR-V. I've also tried the 2.4 and that one felt peppier even at low revs. Transmission is okay - Honda's tried and tested 5AT isn't new, but still does the job well. The CR-V was never a sharp handler and this one isn't different. It does a good job of staying planted but has vague steering and it does feel like a bigger car in corners. The interior is very spacious as with all previous CR-Vs, but the design doesn't look as classy as the CX-5 or even the Forester. The seats have a fancy folding mechanism though, and cargo space is huge. Ride is comfy, and the feature set is par for its price. I'm not a big fan of its exterior though - looks like a fat wagon and the front is a bit fussy. Not exactly ugly, but most CUVs look really good nowadays with classier designs.

2. Forester - best all-rounder among the current crop of CUVs. It's very spacious, both for passengers and cargo, with very good visibility for the driver thanks to its expansive windows. The 2.0 engine is merely adequate considering the Forester is quite a big CUV, but the CVT makes the most out of it. Yes, CVTs are usually lifeless transmissions that suck out the fun from cars, but Subaru's CVT is among the best I've tried, and it makes sure that the engine revs into the powerband when you floor it. The rubberband feel isn't as perceptible as with other CVTs, but none of the kick that old school ATs have. The 2.0 turbo on the XT is a different beast altogether - unrelenting power at all revs, and you'd be going over 200 without noticing if you're in the mood for it. Interior design is simple as with most Subarus, but finishing is great and the car feels premium to the touch. Feature set is again par for the price, though the stock 17s on the entry level variant look really small. The Premium and XT models look stunning though, looks as good as the CX5 AWD. Many say that the Forester has a stiff ride, but I don't find it bothersome - it's still a far cry better than any PPV. It also handles very well for a car it's size. There's inevitable body roll but the car is predictable at its limits and the steering gives good feedback for an EPS unit.

3. CX-5 - easily the best handling CUV in the market. The CX5 drives much like a Mazda 3. Very good grip and feedback, with a very willing chassis that seemingly forgot that it's a tall CUV as it has very minimal body roll. The 2.0 engine likes being revved, and it does deliver sufficient power. The transmission is smooth and very responsive, but unlike the Forester with its CVT, the CX5 has a dead spot from about 50-60 kph as its second gear is pretty long and you'd have to wait for the revs to climb to maximize the power. I haven't tried the 2.5 AWD but if the Mazda 6 is any indication, then it should have the extra grunt that the 2.0 doesn't when it's loaded. Space is at a premium though, with rear passengers having barely adequate legroom (as opposed to the Forester's humongous space). At least everyone will enjoy the interior which looks very classy and modern, and will definitely not look out of place in a BMW. Yojin3 is also a big plus, especially as these CUVs have pricier maintenance compared to the common subcompacts.

Long story short - Forester if you need the space, CX5 if you don't. If you like power and can afford the XT, then that's the best option hands down.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^^^ Nice one, jut! Pretty much sums it all.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks jut, very comprehensive. Is the moon roof really a premium option (which is standard in the forester 2iP?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    CX5 for me.. Best engine (skyactive technology) and CBU Japan pa... Free PMS pa for 3years

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    Thanks jut, very comprehensive. Is the moon roof really a premium option (which is standard in the forester 2iP?
    Yes bro, the base Forester doesn't get a moonroof, nor does it have leather seats or a power tailgate. Still good for the price though if you ask me.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    They are offering the premium with P100K discount. Tempted to get the venetian red color but was having 2nd thoughts when I saw the soul red CX5. Wifey commented about the smaller leg room at the 2nd row of the CX5. Then I read the news about the 400K recall of the CX5 due to fire hazard during a read end collision. Now Im looking back at the forester.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast