New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hello mga sir, need ko lang po ng help to decide what to buy for a 2nd hand car. Budget is 300K-340K max na po, will buy in a month or next month. I was looking around for quite some time and came up with these two options.

2004-2005 Ford Lynx RS
    2001-2004 Honda Civic

Im looking for a Reliable, Power and with decent FC car, di po mashado issue sakin ung resale as I intend to not sell the car in the near future. First Car ko po ito kung sakali. Im driving an A/T car sa ngaun 2005 1.8G Altis, sa wife ko un. Sana wag naman mashado if not lesser ang performance dito. Matakaw din kase sa gas to.

ito po most important sakin, Reliability/Easy to maintain, Availability ng Parts, Performance. Wag din lang po matakaw sa gas. Not keen on upgrading engines slight add-ons lang siguro mostly exterior lang dadagdagan ko.Pa advice naman po ng mga nakagamit ng car na pinagpipilian ko. Salamat

Kung may maissuggest pa po kau it will be greatly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    i'll go with the lynx RS. but expect a bit higher FC than the altis 1.8, because its has a 2.0 engine if im not mistaken. but, overall, its has lots and lots more to offer than the altis.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Honda Civic. 1.6 VTi-S. 1.6L 134 HP engine. matibay at HONDA ;)

sinabi nang ayaw ng matakaw sa gas eh.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Honda Civic. 1.6 VTi-S. 1.6L 134 HP engine. matibay at HONDA ;)

sinabi nang ayaw ng matakaw sa gas eh.
    its my opinion sir sg. bakit ba parang galit na galit ka sakin?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Ang inisip ko lang din po kase sir, kung makakuha ako ng 2004/2005 na RS compared sa 2001-2002 na Civic hindi po ba advantage ung mas bago na model?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you want better performance than the 1.8, the RS is the way to go. Fuel consumption won't be that bad compared to the 1.8, since it's an MT... when my car was stock, it could get 7-8 km/l in the city... even up to 10 km/l on weekends when the traffic was light... and 12-16 km/l on the highway when driven at 80-100 km/h. (16 was on the NLEX, two hour trip up north)

Reliability is okay compared to other cars of the time. There doesn't seem to be a single common thread to problems with the car's electronics. (In other words, the specter of sure cam position sensor failure as with the 1.6 doesn't seem to exist). The only common issues seen on stock RSs is a dirty IACV and PCV system that can cause rough idling, but these are easy to replace and fix.

When test-driving an RS, these are the things to look out for:

Quality of the idle.

Clunking from the suspension (this is true of any secondhand Japanese compact... and the Ford Lynx RS is a Japanese car).

Oil and coolant condition and level (again, true of any secondhand Japanese compact).

Crunching into 3rd gear (signals that 3rd gear synchro is wearing out and may need to be replaced soon. Part is cheap, but you have to order it from the US.)

Shuddering on clutch application (sign of a warped flywheel or a glazed clutch).

The last two problems can be signs of abuse, so they will tell you how the owner drove the car and you can ask for discounts accordingly or look at a fresher unit.

The only big reliability problems with RSs we've encountered have been with guys with modified units that have been abused.... 300+ hp turbo-builds can blow the engine up and if you engine-brake it to 7000 rpm on the race-track or drive it at 220 km/h for half-an-hour straight... or every single day, you can blow it up. Guess what? You can blow up a Civic, too, if you drive like an idiot. The only difference is that a K20 Civic can be turbo-boosted to silly levels.

My car has been on the track, drank half-a-liter of oil driving at over 6000 rpm on the NLEX and SCTEX... straight... topping out at 225 km/h for five kilometers or so... has been on the dyno numerous times... has been run on LPG at over 160 km/h... has run lean at times when I messed up the LPG and Unichip maps (I've been experimenting with it...) and has been "enjoyed" to death for over 97k kms. My compression is still good, and when we cracked open the head for port-and-polishing a few months ago, my gaskets were still okay and my pistons and valves were spotless. My car is proof that you can abuse the car and it will still stay alive as long as you change the oil regularly and follow proper warm-up and cool-down procedures. Of course, I've destroyed clutches, ruined brakes and had to rebuild third gear... but if you drive on the racetrack and drive hard like I do, you can expect these things to break. My previous car, a Sentra, broke a drive-axle on the drag-strip. That's how hard my cars' lives are.

-

If all you're going to do is drive around the city and occassionally wring it out to 220 km/h on the NLEX, there's no issues.

-

For the Civic, in addition to the suspension and oil/coolant, check to see if it was included in the cam position sensor and gas tank recalls, and if it was, if those fixes have been done, already.

Also check for rust. Older Civics were notorious for rust, and I'm getting some scattered reports that it can happen on newer ones, also.

Do note: if either of these cars have accident damage, rust can form, so check for thick spots in the metal or weirdness in the paint surface that may indicate crash damage. I've not noted a propensity to rust in the Lynx, but it can happen with the sunroof panel, since the steel frame of the sunroof glass isn't treated as well as the rest of the car. The frame-rails of the sunroof, though, are aluminum and immune to rust, and the body steel around the sunroof is well-protected and insulated.

-

The RS is much more fun to drive than the Civic. Only issue is that driving it in traffic can be a pain sometimes, since it's a manual. It looks great as stock and all the dress up you need is often a bigger set of wheels. The Lynx can actually fit up to 19" of wheels with the right off-set, and many tuners use 18's as everyday wheels. Only dress-up needed on the inside is leather seat covers and a better head-unit.
    Last edited by niky; March 20th, 2010 at 01:26 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davecrypt View Post
    Ang inisip ko lang din po kase sir, kung makakuha ako ng 2004/2005 na RS compared sa 2001-2002 na Civic hindi po ba advantage ung mas bago na model?
    that's also a plus. and afaik, and according to reviews that i read here in tsikot, (di ko na maalala san ko nabasa to) the 2001-2005 gen civic sucks compared to EK's 96-00 and EG's 92-95.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The RS gives you more excitement since it offers more power and " thrill " when it comes to driving, but then again if you're thinking about the maintenance and the fuel consumption the Civic ES might be the right vehicle for you though it doesn't give you the thrill that the lynx gives, atleast you can save even just a little money from the consumption of gasoline.

Well, yeah grab a Lynx RS if it's manual since there were only few of those that was released ... and niky is one of those lucky owners of the manual RS'.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'd get a Honda Civic. Count how many RS is in the streets. Now imagine the support for parts and service down the road (say 3 years). Sure meron pa rin but it will be rarer, more expensive and hard to come buy. Which is what Ford parts are. Overpriced, hardly available and cheaper when bought as a "Mazda" part.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    ill vote for the civic, preferably the 04-05 model (the one with the modified headlamps)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast