New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I've had no reliability issues on the past 4-speed AT of the 9th generation Corolla. My dilemma right now is whether to choose the 11th generation 1.6G manual transmission or the CVT. I'm leaning more towards the clutchless drive but I don't mind driving a stick although I would prefer a more relaxed passive driving.

I'm not an expert on the subject matter regarding CVTs. Is the 2015 Corolla CVT reliable? I've heard it's much more expensive to repair this transmission than a standard automatic transmission and obviously a manual transmission.

Would a CVT prolong an engine's life granting that the RPM and change in "gears" are precisely computer controlled as compared to a manual transmission where there is a possibility of the operator experiencing the "namatayan ng makina dahil masyadong mabilis pag release ng clutch" scenarios?

How much more reliable is the manual transmission as compared to a CVT?

I need good input or opinion on this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Properly maintained it can last 300k.

Its belt is the weak point, if owner doesnt take care of cvt fluid changes, irreversible damage happens. Costly repair too.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Are the current CVTs belt or chain driven already?

I agree to go with the CVT. It boils down to proper maintenance (change the fluids as prescribed or even more often), and proper use (shift between the gears smoothly and don't gun the engine while you're still shifting between gears such as R and D (I noticed some people in a rush have a habit of shifting fast then accelerating while the gears are still in transition from reverse to forward motion).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

^Are the current CVTs belt or chain driven already?

I agree to go with the CVT. It boils down to proper maintenance (change the fluids as prescribed or even more often), and proper use (shift between the gears smoothly and don't gun the engine while you're still shifting between gears such as R and D (I noticed some people in a rush have a habit of shifting fast then accelerating while the gears are still in transition from reverse to forward motion).

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you are asking, ano ang mas matibay? well, in a drive-to-death contest, the MT will probably outlast the AT or CVT. the MT is made of large chunks of hard metal. the AT and CVT are made of smaller pieces of metal..

MTs are very hardy animals.. almost no maintenance needed for its entire lifespan.. just an occasional oil change..

ATs are complicated toys. we hear of car owners opting to replace their defective or worn ATs, rather than to have them fixed. ATs and CVTs daw are trickier to fix..

but ATs are expected to last a long time, as in, hundreds of thousands of km.. my 2003 CVT was still going well at over 100K.. just good maintenance.

and i don't think the transmission will do anything that will shorten the engine's life.. the opposite, yes.

the MT vs. AT thread here is quite long.. but the bottomline is, it's the owner's choice.. there are pros and cons..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    maintenance and durability wise, the technology of manual transmissions have been perfected already and have been used for decades already.

CVTs are quite newer (i think around 10 years pa lang). although most CVTs today are really reliable na din.
    but apples to apples, MT would be more like it....
    but since you consider convenience, might as well consider CVTs..... just maintain them properly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

maintenance and durability wise, the technology of manual transmissions have been perfected already and have been used for decades already.

CVTs are quite newer (i think around 10 years pa lang). although most CVTs today are really reliable na din.
    but apples to apples, MT would be more like it....
    but since you consider convenience, might as well consider CVTs..... just maintain them properly.