New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi,

I'm planning to get our first car and my budget is 200,000. I narrowed down my list to Toyota (Lovelife) and Mitsubishi (Lancer) but I'm also open with Nissan, Honda, or Hyundai (Getz, Accent). Please help me decide. I would prefer automatic transmission because of everyday long drive to office but some say A/T isn't fuel efficient, is this true?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jeboy25; February 11th, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: modification of words

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeboy25 View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to get our first car and my budget is 200,000. I narrow down my list to Toyota (Lovelife) and Mitsubishi (Lancer) but I'm also open with Nissan, Honda, or Hyundai (Getz, Accent). Please help me decide to choose. I would prefer automatic transmission because of everyday long drive to office but some say A/T isn't fuel efficient, is this true?

Thanks

Would you be open to getting N16 Sentra 1.3L (EFI) if it would fit in your budget?

As for fuel consumption for AT vs MT, AT consume a bit more than MT but you get convenience in exchange for that.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 11th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Would you be open to getting N16 Sentra 1.3L (EFI) if it would fit in your budget?

As for fuel consumption for AT vs MT, AT consume a bit more than MT but you get convenience in exchange for that.
    mga gaano kaya kalaki ang difference ng consume ng gas ng AT sa MT? Like ilang liters per kilometer? Thanks bro.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mga gaano kaya kalaki ang difference ng consume ng gas ng AT sa MT? Like ilang liters per kilometer? Thanks bro.
    typical difference is about 1-2 km/L less for AT compared to MT for the same car.

So if the car in MT form can do 10km/L, you can expect 8-9 km/L for the A/T.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BTW, for P200,000 you can get a 2003 Nissan Sentra GX 1.3L which is probably fresher than what you can get from the models.

The Corolla "lovelife" is okay (I have one) but the rear seat is cramp. Parts are easy to find. But note that this car is getting pretty old. Major parts have started to fail or have failed by now like alternator, a/c compressor. So check with the owner before buying if any of the major parts have been replaced already.

If Honda Civic, you would be looking at late 1990s Civic which will be older because of the higher resale value. So if you want a Honda, you will need looking at Civics that are at least 12 years old or older. If that does not turn you away, the Civic LXi 1.5L is the better deal for you because it is cheaper and does well in the fuel economy (then).

Just try avoid modified cars in any shape (engine mods, lowered, bodykits, etc) unless you know more about cars. This will help you avoid headaches later on.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 11th, 2011 at 11:01 AM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    BTW, for P200,000 you can get a 2003 Nissan Sentra GX 1.3L which is probably fresher than what you can get from the models.

The Corolla "lovelife" is okay (I have one) but the rear seat is cramp. Parts are easy to find. But note that this car is getting pretty old. Major parts have started to fail or have failed by now like alternator, a/c compressor. So check with the owner before buying if any of the major parts have been replaced already.

If Honda Civic, you would be looking at late 1990s Civic which will be older because of the higher resale value. So if you want a Honda, you will need looking at Civics that are at least 12 years old or older. If that does not turn you away, the Civic LXi 1.5L is the better deal for you because it is cheaper and does well in the fuel economy (then).

Just try avoid modified cars in any shape (engine mods, lowered, bodykits, etc) unless you know more about cars. This will help you avoid headaches later on.
    Thank you so much for invaluable information. Are there any known disadvantages to that Nissan Sentra GX? I'm also looking after for low maintenance in addition to fuel efficiency.

By the way, I found a Lancer GLXi 1997 for 188k AT, is Mitsubishi particularly this model, a quality one and also good for both maintenance and fuel efficiency?

Thanks for helping me, I appreciate it a lot. I have very limited knowledge with cars.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you so much for invaluable information. Are there any known disadvantages to that Nissan Sentra GX? I'm also looking after for low maintenance in addition to fuel efficiency.
    Since it is a "newer" car (2002-04), it should need less maintenance as compared to buying a late 90s car. As for parts, since this car is being used as a taxi by many cab companies, spare parts would be rather plentiful.

The only disadvantage of the Sentra GX is the small engine vs the big body. It does not get as good a fuel economy as smaller cars like Vios, or City. But with good driving techniques, fuel economy figure are only slightly less than those cars. Advantage is you have a bigger car (more interior space) and new car too.

By the way, I found a Lancer GLXi 1997 for 188k AT, is Mitsubishi particularly this model, a quality one and also good for both maintenance and fuel efficiency?
    Lancer is not really bad or good. Cramped interior and cheap interior plastics. Fuel economy is average for this car's level & tech then, at around 8.5km/L. Spare parts are not as easy to find (compared to Corolla or Sentra) but available.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Nissan Sentra GX is a good choice for your budget, and quite new too compared to other choices.

if its for your daily driver, ok na ok siya. just don't expect the engine to punch the redline as others models do. pero in terms of build quality and interior, maganda yung model na to.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Since it is a "newer" car (2002-04), it should need less maintenance as compared to buying a late 90s car. As for parts, since this car is being used as a taxi by many cab companies, spare parts would be rather plentiful.

The only disadvantage of the Sentra GX is the small engine vs the big body. It does not get as good a fuel economy as smaller cars like Vios, or City. But with good driving techniques, fuel economy figure are only slightly less than those cars. Advantage is you have a bigger car (more interior space) and new car too.

Lancer is not really bad or good. Cramped interior and cheap interior plastics. Fuel economy is average for this car's level & tech then, at around 8.5km/L. Spare parts are not as easy to find (compared to Corolla or Sentra) but available.
    So if you are to choose between this Lancer GLXi 97 and Sentra GX 03, what will be your pick? I'm a bit concerned with fuel economy because I will use it for everyday travel to office. What would be the fuel rating (kl/liter) of a Sentra GX 03 both manual and automatic?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hmmn, where can I find Sentra GX for 200k? Haven't seen an ad yet. I'm looking in sulit :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
What is best 2nd hand car for 200,000?