New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Currently looking for a 7 seater (more on storage space)

Initially, I was looking at the SUV market since there are a lot of good discounts right now.

Terra VE = 1.6m+
    Montero GLS = 1.5m+
    Innova E = 1.3m (I hijacked a thread trying to buy a 900k Innova E but we didn't agree on the price)

I know the Innova is a bit out of place here but I will test drive the Terra/Montero and convince myself and the commander why should we shell out a bit more.

By default, Innova will be our choice. I just want to explore the SUV options out there.

My current notes:

Terra
    Pros - Exterior, uniqueness (kinda), rear seat tumble button , engine.
    Cons - Price, bland interior, lacks bells and whistles (compare to GLS), maintenance cost

Montero
    Pros - Interior, bells and whistles, parts and maintenance, common
    Cons - Exterior, resale value?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sorento AWD is on sale at 1.7M (500k discount) while the 4x2 model is at 1.5M (400k discount). You can check the BGC dealership (near VW) for details.

If you want to be practical, the Innova can do almost anything a PPV or SUV can do except the look. The Innova has more interior space also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    May 2016
    Montero drives well, brake response is good. Smallest footprint means easy to drive and park inside the city. Ride is comfy for a PPV in the city but wallowy at high speeds.

Cons: really cramped. Huge center console robs you of knee room. Second row elbow and hip room non-existent for the middle seat. With third row in place, there's barely any cargo space left, can't even fit a decent-sized cooler. If you use a child-seat, top tether anchor point is on the third row, clearly an afterthought.

Onto the Terra. Ride is composed and interior space is great, maybe class-leading. There's actual usable space behind the third row. Second row gets both center armrest and ceiling AC vents. Only cars I know which have this are the LC200 and the CR-V 7seater.

Cons: Heavy steering. Engine response is acceptable, but not immediate. This is noticeable on uphill roads. Third-row has no underthigh support.

For a 2020 SUV, still no telescopic steering and only rear drum brakes. There's also the persistent kabig issue due to steering rack bushings, luck of the draw.

There's a minor update for the Terra coming next year. Most likely a facelift with a few added features and rear discs. If you're not in a rush, might be worth the wait.

Innova is also due for an update soon if you're not in a hurry.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Sorento AWD is on sale at 1.7M (500k discount) while the 4x2 model is at 1.5M (400k discount). You can check the BGC dealership (near VW) for details.
    I was also looking at this, but my Pinoy instinct tells me to stick with the Japanese brands.
    I'm a stereotype driving a toyota.

But hey, Kia's following's Hyundai's footsteps. I might try it.

If you use a child-seat, top tether anchor point is on the third row, clearly an afterthought.
    I'll definitely use this within the car's lifetime, so the child seat will be in the 3rd row?

For the face lift models, I'm actually looking to buy the outgoing models so I can save a few bucks, easier on the pocket. Also, I don't like the in-house financing scheme.

I'm looking at August-October as my buying period. Latest by December.

So if the the 2021 models are far more enticing, then I'll have to start from scratch.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Baka ma check mo din 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe (TOTL) at 900k discount on some dealers.
    I was inclined on their mid variant since it is on sale at 1.34m but hirap daw sila makakuha ng stocks which I doubt.
    Parang pinush ng SA to get rid of TOTL stocks first.

Reason for going mid variant is that at least hindi masakit resale value if I decide to let go of the vehicle after 10 yrs.

6. Join Date
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ronki View Post
    I'll definitely use this within the car's lifetime, so the child seat will be in the 3rd row?

For the face lift models, I'm actually looking to buy the outgoing models so I can save a few bucks, easier on the pocket. Also, I don't like the in-house financing scheme.

I'm looking at August-October as my buying period. Latest by December.

So if the the 2021 models are far more enticing, then I'll have to start from scratch.
    If you use Isofix, there's anchor points on both outboard seats. For newer child seats, there's also a top tether which you have to latch usually on the rear lower part of the seatback. This is to prevent excessive movement of the childseat and whiplash during an accident.

In the Montero, you have to latch it on the ceiling of the third row, very disturbing for anyone sitting there.

There's also an option of a third leg depending on the childseat but this isn't as secure. If you just use the seatbelt to secure your childseat, this is a non-issue.

Btw, Montero GLS has ESC but no side and curtain airbags. Terra VE doesn't have ESC but comes with side and curtain SRS.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Sir, who had more checks in your list?

Better to have a list per category, like safety, space, techs, whistles, etc. then who wins will be your choice. That’s what i did before when purchasing the terra VL...

For steering wheel, almost all of them have the same set-up for ppv except for ford which uses electric PS but then the other items lean towards terra on my list... just had 1k and 1year pms with nissan, its not that expensive as compared to others... goodluck!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    i have no experience with the terra so i cannot comment.

montero has possibly the plushest ride and also an all digital dash if that scores points for you.

innova is still solid value however it may have a bit of a harsh ride compared

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    7 seater with lots of storage space?

E di mag 9-seater ka na! Hyundai starex. Sale na yan sa november. Kuha ko ng facelifted starex ko last november 2018 i got 375k discount. Ngayon pa na pandemic, maliit ang 500k discount dyan. Di ka magsisisi sa laki ng leg room or cargo space. Pwede ka pa maglagay ng bed cushion sa floor at matulog ng unat na unat.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_noel View Post
    Sir, who had more checks in your list?

Better to have a list per category, like safety, space, techs, whistles, etc. then who wins will be your choice. That’s what i did before when purchasing the terra VL...

For steering wheel, almost all of them have the same set-up for ppv except for ford which uses electric PS but then the other items lean towards terra on my list... just had 1k and 1year pms with nissan, its not that expensive as compared to others... goodluck!

If only my budget can, the winner here is the Terra VL. But I can't.

So far I'm still leaning on the Montero until I test drive both of them. I see a lot of Terra's in our neighborhood (4-5 Terra in a 400m street) but they are VLs

I also got the PMS costs for the Terra, every 10T KM - 6k php. 20T KM -12k php.

After warranty won't be an issue, I hope, as I'm in reach of banawe. That's why I'm very confident in sourcing Toyota/Mitsubishi spare parts if the need arises.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast