New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hi guys. Were plannin to get an extra SUV to keep in our garage. First off, it must have a diesel engine, just a CUV, & at the price range of 1.1-1.4M... And so we've chosen two of em.. I've read good reviews of the Hyundai Tucson, but havent really got any feedback from real owners. And here comes the Captiva... Judging from the looks and Specs, its definitely the practical choice (for me) between the two. (with just 100k diff you get better looks/int & a powerful CRDi engine...) but problem is, no real reviews from owners cuz its practically new... And I've heard of bad aftersales service & hard to find Chevy parts...

So what do u guys think?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcats View Post
    Hi guys. Were plannin to get an extra SUV to keep in our garage. First off, it must have a diesel engine, just a CUV, & at the price range of 1.1-1.4M... And so we've chosen two of em.. I've read good reviews of the Hyundai Tucson, but havent really got any feedback from real owners. And here comes the Captiva... Judging from the looks and Specs, its definitely the practical choice (for me) between the two. (with just 100k diff you get better looks/int & a powerful CRDi engine...) but problem is, no real reviews from owners cuz its practically new... And I've heard of bad aftersales service & hard to find Chevy parts...

So what do u guys think?
    Main difference between the two is the size. The Captiva is almost the same size as the Santa Fe.
    Aside from offering more room and cargo space, the Captiva comes standard with dual-airbags, ABS with EBD, 4-wheel disc brakes and a 5-speed A/T for all models sold in the RP.

If you want something small and a bit cheaper, then Tucson would be a good option.

GM service has improved a lot since the earlier years. Parts should be cheaper than that of the German Opels and American Trailblazers, Tahoes and Suburbans.
    About the platform, it rides on an updated version of GM's proven Theta SUV platform.
    Last edited by AG4; October 5th, 2007 at 09:49 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thnx for the info AG4.. Guess we'll have to wait a lil more to get some feedback on the Captiva.. Is this available in all Chevy showrooms?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Tucson drives better, but not as well as the current CR-V or Escape. The Captiva is much bigger than the Tucson (which, personally, is a little on the small side for a current CUV), but there are concerns about the ride quality and steering.

Hyundai reliability seems to be on the upswing, but service is so-so in some dealerships (ask around for the good ones). Like AG4 says, Chevrolet service is much better than before, and their warranty and free service is nice. As for parts... welll, we'll see when these become more common.

But test-drive each one if you're serious about buying... it's best to know what you're getting into.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Ang laki nga ng Captiva. Should already be a 7 seater kaso 5 seater lang ang dinala nila d2. Maybe an aftermarket could put a third row seat in it.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just a little more and you've got yourself a 7-seater (full leather), SantaFe with 5-yr warranty (1.5M). If I were you, I'd pick that over these two due to the minimal difference in price but big difference in features.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    The Tucson for me...
    5 year warranty for a CRDi engine cCUV, imo...

I will give you more about the Hyundai later this afternoon.
    iam3739.com

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi FWD P1.528M
    Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi AWD P1.64M
    Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi AWD with dual-airbags P1.653M

The AWD 188PS/248Nm 2.7 liter V6 model starts at P1.588M.

Main advantage of the Santa Fe, is the available 3rd row for the RP market models.
    Last edited by AG4; October 8th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    The Tucson is a more practical choice in the long run. Why? Because its got the 5 year warranty of Hyundai to back you up. CRDi engines are more complex, requires more maintenance and trust me, you can't work on it on your own as of now. Since its more complex, the parts are also expensive and talyers won't have much knowledge fixing the car. Once our bad quality diesel ruins your injectors, its okay if you are ready to spend for parts in the casa. The Hyundai gives you 5 year warranty so that you'll have the confidence that you will be happy for five years. 5 years is long, we don't know for now how many years or km's will the injectors take, remember, this is not Europe where they get class A fuel.

The Captiva is good, but they have to give me a 5 year warranty so that I will be confident in driving it for 5 years or if the Captiva has the same source of injectors with the Hyundai, its okay for me . Now, if you'll be owning the car for less than 3 years, get the Captiva, if less than 5 years, get the Hyundai. I hope this helps...
    Last edited by drey; October 8th, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
    iam3739.com

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I'm also choosing between Tucson 4x4 CRDi and Captiva 4x2 CRDi.

I test drove a Captiva CRDi 4x2 this morning. I am almost convinced to go for this model (i love the ride, smooth engine for a diesel, roomy and handsome looks) but from what i've been reading in the threads here, i'm having second thoughts.. Although i haven't gone to any Hyundai dealer yet, but with Tucson's 5-yr warranty and a cheaper 4x4 CRDi price, i am leaning towards the Tucson..

Captiva may have better looks and may be roomier than the Tucson, but with Chevy's expensive parts (as per what i've read in the threads here) and with only a 3-yr warranty, Tucson is a better bang for the buck over the latter.

I'll test drive a Tucson ASAP.. Then i'll decide

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hyundai Tucson CRDi or Chevy Captiva CRDi