25 23.58%
  • Toyota Auris Sportiva

5 4.72%
  • Volkswagen Golf R32

10 9.43%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I'd also consider a Type-R if it didn't lean on the expensive side.

It also brings up a question... I've always wondered what Honda's philosophy is and why it hasn't considered turbos or superchargers on any of its performance cars......or AWD for that matter (most AWD Hondas I've seen are in Japan).

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Engineering uber alles?

Honda has always been about light, simple, economical and fun. It took them forever to upgrade to V6s when the midsize car category went big... And they're constantly after getting more power out of smaller displacement engines. Of course, this has led to criticism that their engines are more about peak numbers and less about driveability, but you can't deny that there's some appeal to tiny little engines that can rev their nuts off.

It's their dedication to using engineering instead of displacement to motivate their cars that has led to their recent award as "2007 Greenest Automaker" in the US... where even Toyota has gone V8, Honda dares to be different, sticking to the V6 for its trucks.

Unfortunately, now that variable geometry turbocharging is becoming ubiquitous, and as increasingly restrictive emissions hamper their ability to create high-revving screamers (they have to develop furiously just to stay ahead of the curve), Honda's Type R is kind of handicapped against its competitors in the power department.

Still, it's a tempting prospect, if only for the drama of being able to rev where no other engine dares to go... ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    boto rin po ako for volvo c30! ang ganda, at the same time sya rin ang pinaka-budget meal price na euro hatch na locally available here.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Engineering uber alles?

Honda has always been about light, simple, economical and fun. It took them forever to upgrade to V6s when the midsize car category went big... And they're constantly after getting more power out of smaller displacement engines. Of course, this has led to criticism that their engines are more about peak numbers and less about driveability, but you can't deny that there's some appeal to tiny little engines that can rev their nuts off.
    I noticed that trend starting with the early 90's Prelude which was the first car I saw with VTEC.

I've always thought of Honda as conservative/practical. There was a certain "consistency" to their designs. The lack of forced induction being the most notable.

I'm mixed on high-revving engines with low torque. But, the Type-R and even the Si coupe has it's appeal.

If Honda somehow performs a miracle and made a tiny high-revving engine with excellent torque, I'd be sold on them.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 27th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Just wait for them to start work on diesels... ...I don't know, really, how far you can go. You can always make more horsepower by making an engine more efficient, faster-revving, and the like... but torque is often limited by displacement.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Mini Cooper S for me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    the hot civic isnt a hatch at all...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eml1sD5z3KQ"]YouTube - Fifth Gear - UK Civic Type R vs Japanese Civic Type R[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Civic RS...sarap paglaruan & bihisan

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Volvo C30 and Ford Focus CRDi. hehe

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    PS: The Clio is a sub-compact, its the Megane Sport that should be here in this thread.

Hot Hatches... Which do you prefer? (Compacts)