New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Mga friends alin ang mas maganda, easy maintenance at maganda ang resale value. Thanks George Brunei

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    honda civic hands down!!! from ease of maintenance to resale value!!!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    is it just me, or talagang matagtag ang new civic? napaka stiff ng ride.. we testdrove it last week and i wasnt impressed at all.. its speed is evident, ang bilis ng hatak, thing is, nacompromise ang ride comfort... althp matipid sa gas...

maintenance = honda
    resale value = honda
    ride comfort = ford
    luxurious feel = ford

if you are a driver-driver, get the civic.. but if you're just a driver who wants to get from a to b safe and "sound", get the ford. :-)

imo lang po. :-)

i think civic's kind of overrated though. i still prefer the mazda3. hehe la lang.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I own a ford. comfort... its an ace!
    But I do want to own the new civic for a change... hehehe

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Wala namang 2006 Ford Lynx 1.8 -- perhaps the OP means the Focus.

Medyo magkalayo ang presyo ng Focus 1.8 sa Civic FD, it's not a very good comparison, a better one would be the Focus 1.8 vs the Civic 2.0 S or L.

Better/more interesting comparison:

1) Civic FD 1.8S automatic * 807k (no safety features)
    2) Civic FD 1.8V automatic * 874k (two airbags, ABS)
    3) Focus 1.6 manual * 799k (driver airbag, ABS)
    4) Mazda3 1.6S automatic * 749k (discounted, driver airbag)
    5) Mazda3 1.6S hatch automatic * 799k (discounted, driver airbag)
    6) Mazda3 1.6V automatic * 839k (discounted, two airbags, ABS)

The Focus seems to be the cheapest compact car you can get with an airbag and ABS.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Downside lang ng fordfocus nabasa ko sa inquirer, malakas daw sa gas. pero swabeng swabe ang ride..

OT:btw, share ko lang. mazda GH is giving my mom a 90k discount on the mazda3V.. sa mga buyers, advice lang.. if youre really rooting for mazda, sabihin nyo ure also thinkin about the civic.. since mas bago bla bla.. tas wait lng kyo mga 2 weeks, ayan, aabot na ng 90K discount nila.. kasi dati 35k lang binibigay nila discount sa mom ko.. tas naging 45k... then 60k... tas 80... ngayon 90k na.. ewan ko lang ha, kc kumuha mom ko ng 3 mazda 3 S sa GH nun for company car, then tribute for personal use.. pero i think tlga na mazda will do just about anything to get a sale since the civic is keeping them on their toes tlga.. everyday tumatawag ang mazda sa office ng nanay ko..LOL.. ewan ko lng kung nakapagdecide na sila since im not home so i dont know..

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    hmmm...i don't remember the exact prices but when we were doing the car comparison rounds, we immediately whittled down our choices to the ford focus 1.8 ghia a/t and the honda civic v a/t and the focus 2.0 sport and the civic 2.0 s-l because of their beautiful stance and their reputed performance. after several days of deliberation we eventually chose the civic s-l because our 2 previous hondas (ek '96 and jazz '05) are still very much reliable (especially the ek) and headache free. to us, the reliability of our honda cars was the definite turning point. plus the pearl white mica paintjob was just simply gorgeous

btw ang mileage ng fd (2.0 s-l) sa bahay ay naglalaro sa 8-9 kms/liter city driving.

hth

ot lang: nagtataka lang ako bakit iyong 1600 a/t lancer mx(?) napakamahal. halos kapareho niya na iyong mga 1800 variants ng ibang car makes
    Last edited by baludoy; November 29th, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thank you mga pare sa mga advises at mga comments nyo pero alin ba ang mas maganda ang resale value at alin ang mura ang maintenance? Tnxs

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i am not surprised that the focus has the highest gasoline consumption. it has the weakest engine of them all. and it is the heaviest thanks to the Euro-class sound insulation (talking about the 1.6L).

i think in the end you can't miss with the Civic FD. horrible paint jobs notwithstanding, honda will get over it. and that engine is sweet.

regarding maintenance... they're all new cars with relatively sophisticated suspension geometry and whizzy high tech engines. my bet's maintenance cost will be the same, more or less.

with Ford you can get a 5-year warranty though, and Mazda was offering a 3-year warranty with consumables included. in the long run though I still think the Civic FD will offer the lowest total cost of ownership simply because it's the most frugal on fuel.

and fuel is going to be your biggest running cost, much more than maintenance.
    Last edited by orly_andico; November 30th, 2006 at 12:26 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If you want another frugal alternative, I suggest you wait for the new Corolla. It's got an all-new 1.8-liter engine, and with CVT, should deliver even better economy than the current Altis 1.8.

Well, if you're quite firm with your choices, maybe the Civic is less of a gamble. Ford hasn't really proven themselves here. Their heavy body shells offer better safety and sound insulation, plus more rigidity to work with the already brilliant chassis in superb handling. But this is at the expense of performance and/or fuel efficiency. The Civic 1.8 should be quicker and more economical, but as are Hondas of old, only have fair body integrity at best. It also has a 5-speed automatic compared to the Ford's 4, and the latter can't be had with manual gearbox in 1.8 and 2.0 trim.

To sum up, the Civic is at an advantage yet again. But the real winner is up to you. Test both vehicles thoroughly and give yourself a few days to decide. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2006 Honda Civic 1.8 iVTEC or 2006 Ford Lynx 1.8