New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Because of the high prices of gasoline, I want to try 2nd hand 4x2 pick up though I will still keep my trusted car.

Since I am new when it comes to diesel vehicles, can you help me rank the ff. 4x2 pick up in terms of over-all performance (engine, body, under chassis, fuel consumption, price)?

1) '97 Mazda B2200
    2) '97 Isuzu Fuego
    3) '97 Nissan Eagle/Power
    4) '97 Mitsubishi L200
    5) '97 Toyota Hilux

I am a new here but basing on what I read on the other threads, there are plenty of members here who are willing to help.

Your opinions will serve as my basis when I purchase my 1st diesel vehicle.

Thank you in advance!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    i think isuzu would be the way to go.......

but if you are not going to maximize the use of your pickup (hauling things, etc), you might as well invest your money elsewhere and use the proceeds of you investment to pay for your gas bills with your current car.

maintaining two cars is not an easy situation.

just my opinion

andy

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hilux! watch that "top gear" episode... nakaka-bilib

btw the mazda b2200/b2500 is actually a rebadged ford ranger, so interchangeable din yun...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Mitsu L200 has a good advantage because of parts availability, its the most affordable and widely available amongst the bunch... It may not have the best performance though.

Be wary though as pickups tend to be used/abused so expect to set aside extra PPP for repairs (diesel calibration, change all the filters, some body repair, etc...).

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    yup. the 4d56 of the L200 is a bulletproof engine. i am currently considering getting a 1997 L200 for my 2nd car.

andy

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks luckytruck, vinj and orly_andico for your quick replies.

Orly_andico forgive me for my ignorance but can you elaborate on the "top gear" episode of hi-lux? TIA.

I will not really use the pick up for heavy duty chores and for business. I just want to experience the feeling of driving a diesel pick up so I will use it mainly for personal trips.

Yes I've heard that Isuzu pick up is ok but when I browsed in the ads, it commands the highest price.

Based on your replies, pick up with good remarks are L200, Hilux and Fuego.

Hoping to hear more opinions from you!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yung top gear episode is where they submerged it in the Bristol Channel, whacked it with a wrecking ball, dropped a camper (RV, yung motor home) on top of it, set it on fire, then finally put it on the roof of a 10-storey building which was then blasted (demolished by explosive).

through all this, with only minor repairs (e.g. tweaks, the mechanic was not allowed to replace any parts) umandar pa rin yung hilux. although after falling from the 10th storey of the blasted building nabasag na yung chassis niya. pero umaandar pa rin yung makina! when it was submerged for 3 hours in the sea, nilinis lang yung diesel engine niya and battery, umandar pa rin...

this was an early-to-mid-90s hilux FYI which already had 200,000+ km on the odo and was 12 years old at the time the top gear boys decided to torture it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for fuel effiiciency, durability and respectable enough hauling power... isuzu fuego. kung matyempuhan mo yung special edition ng 4x2 fuego with the 4JB1 2.8Liter engine, mas ok ...mas mahal nga lang.

L200 ok din, have no experience driving one but I guess the 4d56 engine is really good considering na yun din makina ng pajero.
    pero I'd rather go for the Nisssan eagle. 2nd vote ko Nissan Eagle or frontier 4x2. mas tahimik compared to the fuego.
    hilux... was able to drive the 4x4 version, medyo mabagal sa acceleration, mabigat kaha, and masikip legroom sa likod.

toss up between isuzu fuego and nissan eagle for me. but that's just me. test drive mo muna to get a feel.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    based on people i know who owned the late 90's L200, may problema ito sa front suspension. palaging nauubos ang front tires because of alignment problems. papalitan nga mga bushings often and it goes mis aligned again after a few months lang. and based on my observation, yes it has a reliable (easy to maintain - maraming mekanikong kabisado ang 4D56 engine) pero madaling umusok. always a smoke belcher, mahirap yan pag tumatakbo ka sa edsa or makati, haharangin ka palagi ng police. hassle. P1,000 first offense. 2nd offense is something like 4k. but as i do on my fuego, i clean my exhaust every week. so andy, think twice before getting an L2.
    Giga, it will also help if tsikoteers can give you disadvantages of the different models. sa fuego ko (2000 model), yun lang kailangan din maglinis ng exhaust regularly by hosing the tailpipe with water. matagtag din ang ride as in all pick ups. advantages: matipid (12 to 13.5 kms/liter city driving- loaded), di pako tinirik ever since i bought it. just have the regular PMS. can go deep in the floods. can go in the rough roads - high ground clearance.
    nissan disadvantage: rust forming on the bed wall sa ibabaw ng wheel well. lahat ng nissan late 90's pick yan - no exceptions! good engine though.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    my company's L200 is ten years old and din naman mausok, siguro nasa maintennance yan. tapos lagyan pa talaga ng biodiesel, ayos ka na.

but for power, you can't beat the isuzu. mas mahal lang talaga

andy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
4x2 Pick Up Ranking