New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Good day everyone,

I need assistance in picking a car. Ive been reading a lot of forums, magazines, internet articles and gone through a lot of test drives for the past 1.5 months. However, I still havent made up my mind.

Some details to those who want to help out: Just came from a Hyundai Santa Fe. This will be my primary car and my budget is 1.5 to 2.2 million. I don't really need the 7 seats. I drive alone 75% of the time and have a driver some of the other time. Every Sunday, i drive the car with two women and 1 kid on board. Sometimes, I have the driver on Sunday so there would be 5 of us and I will be seated at the back. My primary place of work is only 15 mins away from my place in Ortigas. I usually go out of town 2 times a month (Subic/Tagaytay). I would appreciate something that is really easy on the eyes.

Here are some values I want in the car with a score of 5 being the highest
    Looks 5 (Photogenic.)
    Prestige/Executive-look/Image/Chick-factor 5 (Im a 31 yr old up single yuppie/businessman)
    Comfort 5 (I am sensitive to side to side motion and vehicle behavior on uneven roads on low speeds which I found in the SF)
    Roominess 4 (The back is good enough for 2 adults and 8 yr old kid)
    Kit 4 (I am a techie. Coming from the Santa Fe, I would expect at least 4 cup holders, HID)
    Interiors 4 (I like good leather and modern touches. Easy to clean leather so I am avoidng beige)
    Ease to use 4 (rear sensors and a possible upgrade to a rear view camera is a plus, I appreciate good visibility as well)
    Speed 4 (I need something that would easily overtake laege slow vehicles when going up Tagaytay or when in 2 lane provincial roads. I appreciate punchy acceleration but am not a speed freak.)
    Handling 4 (I am usually a safe driver but do like hitting corners every now and then)
    Maintenance cost 3.5
    Resale Value 3 (Most likely will not be selling this car for at least 6 years, unless maintenance of failing parts gets to be a problem)

I have looked at the Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Subaru Outback, Subaru Legacy GT sedan and wagon, Mazda CX9, Subaru Forester XT, Hyundai Sonata, BMW 318i, Toyota Camry. Did I miss anything? Please share with me your opinions and suggestions. I am looking at brand new cars only.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipchip View Post
    Good day everyone,

I need assistance in picking a car. Ive been reading a lot of forums, magazines, internet articles and gone through a lot of test drives for the past 1.5 months. However, I still havent made up my mind.

Some details to those who want to help out: Just came from a Hyundai Santa Fe. This will be my primary car and my budget is 1.5 to 2.2 million. I don't really need the 7 seats. I drive alone 75% of the time and have a driver some of the other time. Every Sunday, i drive the car with two women and 1 kid on board. Sometimes, I have the driver on Sunday so there would be 5 of us and I will be seated at the back. My primary place of work is only 15 mins away from my place in Ortigas. I usually go out of town 2 times a month (Subic/Tagaytay). I would appreciate something that is really easy on the eyes.

Here are some values I want in the car with a score of 5 being the highest
    Looks 5 (Photogenic.)
    Prestige/Executive-look/Image/Chick-factor 5 (Im a 31 yr old up single yuppie/businessman)
    Comfort 5 (I am sensitive to side to side motion and vehicle behavior on uneven roads on low speeds which I found in the SF)
    Roominess 4 (The back is good enough for 2 adults and 8 yr old kid)
    Kit 4 (I am a techie. Coming from the Santa Fe, I would expect at least 4 cup holders, HID)
    Interiors 4 (I like good leather and modern touches. Easy to clean leather so I am avoidng beige)
    Ease to use 4 (rear sensors and a possible upgrade to a rear view camera is a plus, I appreciate good visibility as well)
    Speed 4 (I need something that would easily overtake laege slow vehicles when going up Tagaytay or when in 2 lane provincial roads. I appreciate punchy acceleration but am not a speed freak.)
    Handling 4 (I am usually a safe driver but do like hitting corners every now and then)
    Maintenance cost 3.5
    Resale Value 3 (Most likely will not be selling this car for at least 6 years, unless maintenance of failing parts gets to be a problem)

I have looked at the Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Subaru Outback, Subaru Legacy GT sedan and wagon, Mazda CX9, Subaru Forester XT, Hyundai Sonata, BMW 318i, Toyota Camry. Did I miss anything? Please share with me your opinions and suggestions. I am looking at brand new cars only.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I think you were referring to the CX-7 and not to the CX-9 since your budget wouldn't reach the price range of the CX-9.

Anyway, from your post I think you would be happy with the following:

Honda Accord
    Hyundai Sonata Premium
    Mazda CX-7
    Subaru Legacy GT sedan

My overall pick would be the Sonata Premium with looks as primary consideration.

If performance/speed was placed higher, the Legacy GT would be top pick.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The CX9 is now 2.35M or less because of the JPEPA discount. Thanks for reminding me about the CX-7. That car is quite looker, and in a more manageable size and better fuel consumption than the CX9.

Going to test the Hyundai Sonata next week and try to see if the suspension is to my liking. My brother has the Legacy GT wagon and it was frightengly fast with all the mods he put in. It's been in the casa for the past 3 weeks though. I test drove the Legacy sedan from MI and found the ride too firm.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Sonata Premium is the one i'd choose, rear leg room is capacious plus that panoramic glass roof. You also get airbags all around 6 or 7, plus the Huge LCD Touchscreen Media Center and NAV with Ipod/AUX connectivity. I also think the premium also has the back-up cameras installed already.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2by View Post
    Sonata Premium is the one i'd choose, rear leg room is capacious plus that panoramic glass roof. You also get airbags all around 6 or 7, plus the Huge LCD Touchscreen Media Center and NAV with Ipod/AUX connectivity. I also think the premium also has the back-up cameras installed already.
    Wala nyan sa local Sonata.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    You can try Xtrail CVT and Teana 3.5L as well. Nissan's suspension is tuned more for comfort than sport so the ride won't be firm.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Get the Sonata Premium and have spare change to buy a 100 inch TV for the kids. LOL!

Teana's not bad until you factor it's been on the US market since 2006 and is going to be refreshed soon after. Beige isn't my cup of tea either.

Sonata's like a Honda Accord. Accord still drives better on a personal opinion but it's advantage is very slight. Went with the Sonata at the end. Iba talaga looks, you WILL get stares and turn heads. Remove the badges (not the H logo) and you'll have a clean look (like mine) and have random motorists scratching their heads trying to figure if it's an import or not.

CX7... nah, didn't like the butt. Beauty should be complete, not just the front.

CX9, actually like it! Haven't drove one but people say it's a real treat to drive.

Before buying my unit, I test drove most of the midsize sedans out in the market (save for the Teana). Actually took the leap of faith by buying the Sonata and NOT test driving it (ganun na ako ka-atat), I'd say I'm not disappointed.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; May 27th, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wow, that's a big budget you have there. Coming from a Santa Fe? Do you mean the old one or the new one? For an SUV You may want the Sorento TLX Premium which you can have Hancars import, or if you really want to buy a local unit, get the Sorento Deluxe from Kia Philippines. The Sorento, being launched later than the Santa Fe should have any possible kinks ironed out already. It also passes all your criteria. Are big gasoline SUVs your type? If so, then the CX9 it is. Just make sure to remove the ratty 180km/h speed governor. But be prepared for Expedition-like gas bills. For sedan, I'd suggest the Accord V6 still, for the huge amount of power available and better fuel mileage especially in the highway courtesy of VCM. Or if you don't need that much power, the Sonata Premium is an excellent choice with lots of luxury amenities and is more of a head turner than cars twice its price.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    chevrolet tahoe ....... in black

just checked the prices but its out of your budget pala

sayang
    Last edited by 111prez; May 27th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Oh yeah, the Sonata is also quite low. So if you have humps on the village (large ones) better keep an eye on them. I'm dreading having 5 people inside my car.. last time I did it, dalawang humps sa BF sumayad (can't use the "8" maneuver kasi). If you came from the Santa Fe, the comfort level inside the Santa Fe and the Sonata is very similar. Of course, the Camry muffles out more noise (in fact, our 1995 Camry stays dead silent on the highways still) but it's an utter bore if you're in the driver's seat.

Using your metrics: As an owner, I'd comment of it as follows.

Looks -- Nobody can deny its greatness -- MotorTrend 10Best

Prestige/Executive-look/Image/Chick-factor -- Hyundai doesn't have the same prestige as a Beemer. But I've gotten comments it looks more expensive than how much it is. Clueless people (aka mga guard sa bank, etc.) normally price it at Php3million just on looks much to my amusement. Most compared brand would be.. a Mercedes-Benz.

Comfort -- better seats versus the Santa Fe. But ride comfort is essentially the same. Less body roll (obviously). Rear seats are recessed and the sloping roof line makes anybody the size of 6'3 hit the roof. Accord's rear seats are better and leather quality still needs a bit more refinement.

Roominess -- I wouldn't worry about this. The rear seats can also fold down 60/40. Not completely flat but acceptable. Trunk's cavernous. I could sleep inside there.

Kit -- The center console needs around 10minutes learning curve. You have 2 cupholders on the center, 2 on the rear center console and both the front doors has water bottle pockets too. I'm not sure about the rear (heck, I've rarely sat on the rear) so total cupholders is 6-8. Personally, the best toys is: Dual sunroof, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and one-button folding side mirror (understated option, it's pretty cool if you do it in real life). The dual sunroof was a see-to-believe. I was originally opting for the GLS version but after seeing the sunroof, I'm sold! Dito yun pinaka-madaming pogi points, bar none. And unlike the Tucson (which you need to do manually), all you need is one button to see it unfold.

Interiors -- sleek. 'Nuff said. Bought this on a premise that 5 years from now it's still a looker (think Beemer 3-series, Mercs)

Ease to use -- you got rear-sensors (pretty handy) but taking out the center console might prove a bit problematic if you aren't familiar where to find the dashkits for it (it's on an order-basis lang kasi since konti lang Sonata sa road). Rear visibility is only okay since you'll see the rear headrests poking out while glancing.

Speed -- haven't launched it yet but you wouldn't have a problem overtaking Philippine cars. Even with having 5 passengers on board, all your windows open and the sunroof open (massive air resistance), you could still outrun a CRDi Starex (ewan ko kung ano trip ng driver) on a lonely road . Transmission is very smooth but you won't be buying it for a speedy shifting response on the paddles. Paddle response is only "normal for its class". Don't expect Genesis Coupe-like response times. On the other hand, I used to do 6500RPM while overtaking in Zambales. Pretty impressive! 100km/h is at a safe 2,000RPM on the highways. 80km/h on Roxas Boulevard is 1500RPM on 6th gear.

Handling -- enough feedback on the wheel so you don't feel completely isolated. Among its peers, it's Mazda 6 > Accord/Sonata > Camry. It's very very close to the Accord in steering response (Accord is a tad sharper)

Maintenance cost -- can't comment on this one.

Resale Value -- parts supply haven't stabilized yet. It'll normally take around 1-2years before supply stabilizes so no worries at the moment. If you crashed and need a new door or bumper, that'll prove problematic though. I asked recently what's the turnover for a new door and it'll take you months. Yes, months. But I guess owning a "new" car also has its own drawbacks.

*GTi
    Hindi naman Expedition-like gas bills ng CX9. Lower naman kahit papano. With the Expedition, we're getting 2-3km per liter lang kasi (no wonder motioncars has a con of: gas bills will make you file for bankruptcy). On the Sonata, expect 6-7.50km per liter. I'd say a CX9 would be somewhere near 5 naman kahit papano

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast