New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hey guys. My family wants to replace our aging ~10-11 year old Hi Ace, and I'd like for your opinions in this matter:

Our old van in its usual "loaded" configuration is as follows:

Maximum 10 persons with cargo
    , usually seats 8 comfortably WITH cargo.

Driver and Passenger (First Row)

3-4 Passengers (2nd Row, Bench Type)

3-4 Passengers (3rd Row, Bench Type)

Back space usually used for various kinds of cargo for long trips, etc.

What we need now is something that can offer us the same amount of utility (similar configuration if possible) without sacrificing much.

**I've noticed that most vans now are offering captain seats for the 2nd row, and have resorted to adding seats at the furthermost row, which leaves my family little room for cargo. I'd like your opinions as to which van do you think will suit us well.

Priorities:
    A. SPACE
    - We need something that offers a configuration close to what we currently have. This is probably something we are likely to compromise on the least. Else, I'd have considered something like the Montero Sport or the Fortuner.

B. RELIABILITY - Something that will last us another 10 years, and hindi masirain. I've heard issues about the D4D of Toyota. Does this also affect the Hiace?

C. BUILD/RIDE QUALITY - Something that will please the older folk. Our old van's suspension isn't exactly the same even after overhauls.

D. POWER - Given we can carry an awful lot when the van's full, the power is probably needed, but behind the first 3 criteria.

Note: We'd like an AT as much as possible, but we're willing to go with an MT if there's a good reason to.

Here are what we are considering at the moment:
    Please feel free to add any other vehicle you may deem fit for us!

Thanks!

Hyundai Grand Starex

Grand Starex CRDi VGT GLS AT (10 str) w/ SS UPGRADE - 1,703,000

Grand Starex CRDi VGT GOLD AT (10 seater) - 1,818,000

Toyota Hi Ace Super Grandia

Super Grandia Fabric - 1,720,000

Super Grandia Leather (the one with alloys) - 1,875,000

Toyota Previa

2.4 - 2,252,000
    2.4Q - 2,422,000

Toyota Alphard

~2,700,000 (Their website is down, can't get the exact figure)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Yung Alphard ang pinakamaganda among your choices, pero I think it is way too expensive for a van (P2.9M) although its loaded with lots of toys. The Previa is just too cramped inside, I had the privilege of riding in one, maganda sa loob kaya lang ang sikip, defeats the purpose of getting a van in the first place. The Super Grandia is very spacious inside, ok naman yung ride but as a matter of personal preference, I don't feel safe driving a flat nosed van. The Grand Starex is a good choice, I have one actually. Just DON'T BUY THE LOCAL UNITS BEING OFFERED BY HARI DEALERS. Look at the ones being offered by the gray market dealers (Pitstop, Standout and Hancars) they offer A LOT MORE VALUE FOR THE MONEY. I got mine from Pitstop.
    Last edited by ronw123w124; December 24th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    The Grand Starex and Hiace fit your criteria. Both the Previa and Alphard only seats 7 people (no thanks to middle captains chairs). I also suggest the Kia Carnival since it has 8 seats.

Hyundai Starex

PROS:
    1. Torquey diesel (if CRDi is chosen)
    2. Availability of Automatic transmission
    3. Reliability
    4. Parts availability
    CONS:
    1. Little legroom for others
    2. Diesel fuel for CRDi must be gassed up in clean yet reputable stations
    3. Waiting list is a bit long (it varies dealer per dealer)
    TOYOTA HIACE

PROS:
    1. Reliability
    2. Comfortable (considering it has three rows of seats)
    3. Parts availability
    4. Tons of features for the money
    CONS:
    1. Engine heat will be transmitted to the drivers and front passengers butts.
    2. Bubble top on Grandia (might not escape parking lots)
    3. Cramped seating for some
    Again, these are my opinions...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Yep pansin ko nga na 7 seater lang yung Alphard/Previa.

Regarding the Starex kasi, we're not really into the features and stuff.

My dad's really not too keen with the grey market units, so we may have to restrict the purchases to the official channels.

Yung problem lang kasi sa mga 10 seaters ngayon (IF IM CORRECT), is that there's no room left for our cargo, because IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY (that is, I may be wrong), the current HiAce/Starex are configured like so:

Driver / Passenger (Front Row)
    2 Passengers (2nd Row, Captain Seats)
    2 Passengers (3rd Row, Captain Seats)
    4 Passengers (4th Row) <-- Where our cargo usually is

Or are there still configurations that will seat 8-10 within the first 3 rows?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sayang ... maganda sana yung HVX. The local units kasi, stripped-off. Can't really tell na hindi siya worth ng money but mas worth it lang yung grey markets. Oh well, probably your dad is just playing safe kasi baka iniisip niya yung PMS and warranty claims.

Between your choices, I'd pick the Previa nalang siguro. I wont feel safe either driving a flat-nosed van .., eh yung GS nga stripped down then the Alphard is just too pricey. Plus, in terms of looks eh panalo talaga yung Previa. Though I never tried riding in one nor sitting inside yeah .. it looks cramped but hindi naman siguro kayo magiging sardinas if 9 people are seated inside as long as average-sized yung uupo.

Reliability, I've never heard of a broken down Previa. Boybi's an exception kasi if i remember it right nasira ata yung sakanya. Pre-facelifted yata yun. Tapos nabaha ata ? Basta I read a problem regarding a previa eh ...

Yung D4D ng Hi-Ace di siya kasama dun sa woes. Kasi Fort & Innova lang yung included dun

Looks, definitely it will please your dad. Ganda eh.

Power, the previa doesn't carry a very big body so I guess .. power isn't really a problem kahit punuin mo pa.

Space, yun lang yung kailangan mo tignan since naglalagay pala kayo ng baggage and a roof carrier on a previa would look ugly. Hehehe. So I guess, try to look at the said vans and pull all the rows up then decide if the left space is enough for your cargo needs.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Get the Starex. You get power, economy and loads of space.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Why not try the Kia Carnival..Maganda ang luggage space nyan sa likod pero 8 seater lang yan.

Toyota Previa?Looks good pero di maganda ang luggage space nyan.And getting a new one sa local dealers ay kasing hirap ng pagkuha sa Hiace at Alphard ngayon.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eggman View Post
    Why not try the Kia Carnival..Maganda ang luggage space nyan sa likod pero 8 seater lang yan.

Toyota Previa?Looks good pero di maganda ang luggage space nyan.And getting a new one sa local dealers ay kasing hirap ng pagkuha sa Hiace at Alphard ngayon.

Yep. Isa pa pala. Try checking out the Kia Carnival LWB too. Malaki din siya. W/ Automatic doors pa.

Um, eggman .. bakit mahirap kumuha ng Previa ? Walang stocks mga dealers ? Di naman siya ganun siya kalakas ah. Or hindi lang nagsstock mga dealers kasi nga madalang ang kumukuha ?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Sayang ... maganda sana yung HVX. The local units kasi, stripped-off. Can't really tell na hindi siya worth ng money but mas worth it lang yung grey markets. Oh well, probably your dad is just playing safe kasi baka iniisip niya yung PMS and warranty claims.
    sir's sorry to butt-in but what's with grey markets regarding PMS and warranty claims? is there no warranty given and PMS are exclusive? if they offer better deals then why settle with HARI dealers? please enlighten me. thanks!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I drive a grey market and local market car (not a van). After a few years, wala nang pinag-iba yung dalawa. Mas ok pa yung gray market ko madaming features.

The Starex trades luggage space for crash safety. You can always load your luggage on the roof if done properly.

The Starex offers more frontal crush space than most local vans.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Grand Starex vs Hi Ace vs Previa/Alphard