New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Odometer reading: 114,978 km (but i usually do not trust odometers on used car dealers, any under-the-tree mechanic can reverse the reading with a hand drill)

Dealer asking price is PhP 450,000.00.....trying to negotiate it at 400k or even lower (380k).

Observations:
    1. tires on front and rear were made on 2010 & 2012 with about 50% tread life...plus tires on the front are "DURUN" brand, while the rear is "WESTLAKE" (boyband ba itetch?)
    2. probably front shock absorbers were shot (traces of leaks present)
    3. the boot covers on the steering rack also show some traces of leaks
    4. balljoints probably not yet replaced. though ball joint rubber boot covers are not torn (yet)
    5. timing belt probably not replaced (i really don't trust even if they say it's replaced already)
    6. no thermostat (water flowed when the engine was cold started)
    7. engine starts right away (cold and hot)
    8. soft upper and lower radiator hose
    9. not the original seats and side covers
    10. owned by a private school in laguna (so probably driven hard by the school driver)
    11. last record on the maintenance history was on 5,000 km mark...probably the school motorpool did the repair and maintenance themselves.
    12. fresh white paint (probably a hilamos)
    13. oil leak at the engine-transmission bellhousing point (either engine rear oil seal or transmission front seal)
    14. no test drive yet. will get back to it some later time on weekends.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    SEAT BELT CONDITION AT 114,978 KM
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]

TALAGA BANG MAY T-JUNCTION SA MAY RADIATOR LOWER HOSE TO ENGINE CONNECTION?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by miked; February 9th, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    .....yoko...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Hiace Commuter is a very good car. I remember my old school had one of these as well, though it is still in good condition last time I visited. Its slow, five rows jammed inside makes it rather limited in terms of legroom. Ride quality is so-so. But then its built to last. The Toyota 2L is a good engine, IMHO better than the 4D56 in the L300, and much less prone to smoke belching.

114tkms is quite acceptable for a car of this vintage, but with that much to repair, I'd look elsewhere. There are many other fish in the sea.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Hiace Commuter is a very good car. I remember my old school had one of these as well, though it is still in good condition last time I visited. Its slow, five rows jammed inside makes it rather limited in terms of legroom. Ride quality is so-so. But then its built to last. The Toyota 2L is a good engine, IMHO better than the 4D56 in the L300, and much less prone to smoke belching.

114tkms is quite acceptable for a car of this vintage, but with that much to repair, I'd look elsewhere. There are many other fish in the sea.
    most likely tama ka nga na marami pa mas maganda...napagisip-isp ko rin na malulugi din sa repair ang replacement ng parts. plus may considerable blow-by pressure with minimal amount of oil jumping out of the oil filler cap.

year 2000 model sya. kinocompare ko sya ngayon sa mga model 95,96 etc. eh cheaper by about 150k yung mga lower year models (obviously) pero halos the same features and engine....

actually, my mother is the bank for this purchase for their personal use...most probably hindi rin sya for daily use. di na kasi kami magkasya sa pickup ko. kawawa yung mga nasa likod kapag umulan o mainit panahon.

my sights are actually on the cheaper L300s since mas madami available na parts compared to the commuter.

will search again. thanks for the comments

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    most likely tama ka nga na marami pa mas maganda...napagisip-isp ko rin na malulugi din sa repair ang replacement ng parts. plus may considerable blow-by pressure with minimal amount of oil jumping out of the oil filler cap.

year 2000 model sya. kinocompare ko sya ngayon sa mga model 95,96 etc. eh cheaper by about 150k yung mga lower year models (obviously) pero halos the same features and engine....

actually, my mother is the bank for this purchase for their personal use...most probably hindi rin sya for daily use. di na kasi kami magkasya sa pickup ko. kawawa yung mga nasa likod kapag umulan o mainit panahon.

my sights are actually on the cheaper L300s since mas madami available na parts compared to the commuter.

will search again. thanks for the comments
    Meron kaming 2001 Toyota Revo. It has the same engine as the Hiace Commuter. 98tkms siya ngayon, with no leaks whatsoever. I have had it calibrated once and the injector nozzle tips replaced. Other than that, the filters and the fluids inside, the engine remains with the same parts as those that came with it from the factory.

Napakadami parts para sa Hiace! Napakamura ng piyesa, at dahil simpleng sasakyan, kahit sinong mekaniko marunong mag-ayos.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    mahal.... mukhang laspag, at hindi maintain ng maayos....

pwede na sa 300k..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    laspag na.

may 2003-2005 hyundai grx ka na mabibili sa ganyang price. crdi na yun ganda ng hatak.
    Last edited by yebo; February 10th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hanap ka nalang ng ibang Hiace commuter van.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I probably would only pay 50K for that. I'm sure napakalaki ng gastos mo just to bring it to good condition. Your gains wouldn't be substantial kasi napakahina din ng hatak ng commuter.

I'd second Yebo's advice, to get a Starex GRX instead. Browse Sulit, meron dun 2006 for only 420.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast