New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    So here's the situation, a relative of mine, a girl, is in the market for a second hand automatic car to be used as her second car.

Requirements aren't really that specific, but has to be at least 2000 model & above. Preferably 10 years or younger.
    Should be an automatic
    Doesn't eat up on gas like an expedition -- she gets it, automatic drinks more gas than a manual.. and she's okay with it.

Budget is 250-270k-ish.

I suggested a Picanto at first, been seeing ads of 04 AT Picantos that are within the budget but figured it might be better if she'd buy a Lancer MX AT instead. I know the choices aren't really plenty but can you guys at least list down cars that fits the budget and can be considered as one of the choices?

Is the Picanto any good? My relative in Visayas has a Picanto as their daily driver and I had the chance to drive it, it was efficient even though it was an AT, it has bad NVH but for a small ass car, it's decent enough. But it was an 07 model, was thinking if the 03-04 ish Picanto is the same?

For the MX, does it share the same suspension issues as the older Pizzas? Honestly, the car looks nice.

And I also suggested the Type Z City AT. Oks ba yung ATs niya? Been hearing good stuff about the MT Type Z pero AT not so much.

Was also recommending the 00' Corolla GLi. Pero it would be better nga if she gets something newer.

Sentras are out of the picture. Sorry.

Thanks Tsikot!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You can also consider the Altis or the Civic ES. Maybe you can find one within your budget. An officemate is selling his 2003 Altis 1.6E AT for around the same price (280k).

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    So here's the situation, a relative of mine, a girl, is in the market for a second hand automatic car to be used as her second car.

Requirements aren't really that specific, but has to be at least 2000 model & above. Preferably 10 years or younger.
    Should be an automatic
    Doesn't eat up on gas like an expedition -- she gets it, automatic drinks more gas than a manual.. and she's okay with it.

Budget is 250-270k-ish.

I suggested a Picanto at first, been seeing ads of 04 AT Picantos that are within the budget but figured it might be better if she'd buy a Lancer MX AT instead. I know the choices aren't really plenty but can you guys at least list down cars that fits the budget and can be considered as one of the choices?

Is the Picanto any good? My relative in Visayas has a Picanto as their daily driver and I had the chance to drive it, it was efficient even though it was an AT, it has bad NVH but for a small ass car, it's decent enough. But it was an 07 model, was thinking if the 03-04 ish Picanto is the same?

For the MX, does it share the same suspension issues as the older Pizzas? Honestly, the car looks nice.

And I also suggested the Type Z City AT. Oks ba yung ATs niya? Been hearing good stuff about the MT Type Z pero AT not so much.

Was also recommending the 00' Corolla GLi. Pero it would be better nga if she gets something newer.

Sentras are out of the picture. Sorry.

Thanks Tsikot!
    +1 on the Altis and ES Civic. But then you'd have to extend the budget a little to get the "eagle eye" look. Personally, napapangitan ako sa pre-facelift eh. Mukhang mas luma pa sa EK.

A friend of mine owns a 2006 Picanto 1.1 A/T. I remember she told me that she gets gas mileage to the tune of around 12km/L city driving. She's a heavy footed driver who jostles with jeepney drivers every chance she gets, so I'd say fuel efficiency is pretty good. Though there is the factor to consider that her route is rather long, from Pasig area to Sampaloc, Manila everyday which may contribute to lower FC. Uptil now, so far so good naman daw. No major repairs, and is used as a daily driver.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Pwede rin yung Gen1 Vios 1.5 A/T, I think meron na below 300k

I'm already seeing 02-03 Altises selling below 300k. My brother's unit (02 1.6E Matic) averages 9 in the city. Pretty thrifty for a compact gas matic IMO.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *GTi: Not planning on extending the budget 'til the eagle-eye range since it's going to be used as a second car only. In other terms, coding car lang. And maybe for short trips. Babae naman siya so di niya katulad lalaki na kailangan good-looking yung mga kotse kasi masarap pormahan.

The Altis seems a good consideration. But aren't those prone to sludging? Yan yung early ZZs diba.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    mura lang yung picanto kasyang kasya sa budget.. tsaka 2nd car lang naman tama na yung maliit.. madali mag park, magaan at matipid.. kesa mag motor ka

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    *GTi: Not planning on extending the budget 'til the eagle-eye range since it's going to be used as a second car only. In other terms, coding car lang. And maybe for short trips. Babae naman siya so di niya katulad lalaki na kailangan good-looking yung mga kotse kasi masarap pormahan.

The Altis seems a good consideration. But aren't those prone to sludging? Yan yung early ZZs diba.
    Hindi ba niya gusto yung Picanto? Mas bago ang makukuha for the budget.

I suppose the best proposition would still be the Altis, being roomy, thrifty, reliable and all that. Sludging should not be an issue if you change oil regularly. Every 5tkms to be safe.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    She likes the Picanto, and I like it for her too. At tama ka GTi, she can get as new as a 2008 model Picanto. Which I suppose, is a great deal already.

The Picanto looks nice, has decent FC, that's why if my relative gets one and has good feedback, I might get one too as a project car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast