New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    From a 1.5-liter diesel, 110 hp is a hell of an achievement. That's the same as my car, a 1.6-liter gas. Are Hyundai really that good already, or simply overstating the figures? I also plan to test drive it soon but if any of you have done so before, please share some feedback here.

Thanks

P.S. I haven't even seen one of these on the road.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    probably true, most modern diesels nowadays lalu na pag crdi has equal if not more hp than its gasoline counterparts, even if mas mahina ng konti sa horsepower ang crdi compared to its gas counterpart, sigurado naman na mas malakas torque which is great for acceleration. Though personally I think overstated yung hp ng accent.mga around 90-95hp lang siguro

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You've got to drive it to understand.

When I test-drove the Accent, at low throttle, it felt just as responsive as a 110hp 1.6 liter gasoline engine... BUT...

When I floored the accelerator pedal, I could've sworn it was a V6! :exclaim:

See, the Accent has 177 ft-lbs of torque. For comparison, a Honda Civic SiR (160hp) has just 112 ft-lbs of torque. The Ford Lynx RS (142hp) has 142 ft-lbs. The SiR is faster on the highway, but the Ford feels just as quick or quicker in traffic due to its torque. When I drove the Accent, it made my Lynx feel like an underpowered and overweight turd. That's how good 177 ft-lbs of torque feels like in a small car like the Accent.

Now, most 110 hp modern subcompacts do 0-100 km/h in around 9-10 seconds, very high 8's with a good driver. The Accent can get mid to low 8s, thanks to that waterfall of torque. If you drive it like you stole it, you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter before you can shift... it's that quick.

No turbo lag, either, unlike the Fortuner 3.0 and Innova 2.5 turbodiesels (they weren't slow... just gutless below 2000rpm) I drove recently... a hallmark of Hyundai/Kia's VGT turbos... and very smooth running up to and past 4000 rpm. Poewr everywhere in the rev range.

----

Sadly, you get very little kit for the price of the Accent... but then again, you didn't get much kit in the Honda Civic SiR, either... and there's still the CRDi Getz...

----

Pay close attention to the gearshift and clutch. Some people don't like it, but it's fine by me. Ask permission to get a little trigger happy, but don't go too fast... and enjoy your test drive... I sure did.
    Last edited by niky; September 23rd, 2006 at 01:55 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yes, the pull of CRDi VGT is simply astonishing. Especially when they release the next level of VGT which is Sequential Twin Turbocharger (such as in the BMW E60 5-series diesels). Makes you kind of excited about Sorento VGT.

Good read about VGT:

How Variable Geometry Turbochargers work

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if i remember correctly what i saw in my last visit at hyundai casa, the car boasts of 30+ km/li fuel economy!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    if i remember correctly what i saw in my last visit at hyundai casa, the car boasts of 30+ km/li fuel economy!
    Maybe if you let it freefall from Kennon Road it will attain that figure. But it should be economical in the real world still. A 20 km/li mileage is a more feasible measure.

I ought to try this out myself! We don't have too many straightaways for high revs, but there are a lot of traffic jams and tight roads where gobs of torque can be useful.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    dont know about those figures, i really dont pay attention to it naman eh. but my brod's Getz CRDi is as responsive as our previous 1.6 civic vti.

btw, how much ba ngaun daw yan accent? kung 700K+ pa din, I think it's worth it na. the jazz, swift, vios, city are in that price range na d'ba.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Only problem is, at 700k+, the other cars have ABS and airbags already... the Accent doesn't. Still like the car, though.

RE: the 30 km/l claim... just as bad as Isuzu's 19 km/l claim for the Crosswind. (my best, at 60 km/h on the highway at 3 am was only 16)... It's definitely possible in an ideal world (heck, the Honda City can do 30 km/l, too... ), but in daily use, expect 15-20 km/l.

Of course, you can get great figures for lots of engines... remember Pocholo's 40 km/l in a Civic 1.7 AT? Or one couple's 40 km/l in a turbodiesel Trooper? My favorite is Paul Tiglo's 60 km/l in the City...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    oo nga ano wala pa pala abs and airbags.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    another visit to hyundai casa ... here's what i got from the sales guy:

1. the car was tested at speed around 80 kph hi-way driving and resulted in 38.7 km/li

2. owners report 28 km/li combined hi-way/city (provincial roads) driving

i notice they don't display the 38.7 km/li poster anymore ... but 28 km/li real world fuel economy is still impressive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is The Power Rating of The CRDi Accent True?