New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i have a question.
    somebody asked me, which is the prefered vios, the 1.3 or the 1.5? MT or AT? preferably 2015.
    the person says it is for two people inside, city driving, mostly. the impression i get is that he wants ease of use/driving, and cost efficiency.
    i'm an innova person, so i don't know what to say.
    a little help, please.
    thanks.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 13th, 2020 at 11:11 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ease of use vs cost efficiency. . I would get the AT for the first factor. For a relatively new 5 yo car, I bet there won't be any major transmission repairs for the next few years.

Now for the cost efficiency factor, gaano kaya kalayo difference ng FC ng 1.3 over 1.5 sa city driving? I'm curious as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i have a question.
    somebody asked me, which is the prefered vios, the 1.3 or the 1.5? MT or AT? preferably 2015.
    the person says it is for two people inside, city driving, mostly. the impression i get is that he wants ease of use/driving, and cost efficiency.
    a little help, please.
    thanks.
    Personally among the choices, I would of course prefer the 1.5 AT budget permitting. But at 400+k, I can also get a ~2014 Altis CVT, which I would prefer even more. Vios 1.3 versus 1.5

The 2015 Vios still has the older engine though. So the 1.3 AT is said to be not as fuel efficient as advertised. If fuel efficiency is a priority, and he can afford to get a 2015 Vios 1.5, I would suggest the newer 2017 and up Vios 1.3 dual VVTi CVT instead for similar prices.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    City car, AT ang boto ko. Lalo kung ito iyong bullet-proof na 4AT.

1.5G model mas okay since heavier itong Vios version, mas hindi hirap ang 1.5L na makina, labas mas tipid sa gas.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Not much difference in fuel consumption between models of a car with a 1.3L engine over a 1.5L engine. For small cars, the one with the bigger engine usually has better features.

For comparison, we had a 2009 City 1.5L and Jazz 1.3L before. Both were automatics and uses the same 91RON fuel and maintenance cost was the same. The Jazz was nearly a bare bones model compared to the City which was TOTL before. The City 1.5L was more fuel efficient, 9-10 km/L vs 8-9 km/L on city routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    1.5 would be a good match for the size of the current Vios

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    *my reply is based on NOT seeing the actual car and NOT knowing/meeting the owners*

Magkaibang tao may ari ng 1.3 and 1.5 - obviously mas mahal yung 1.5

Pro 1.5
    mas malaki yung chance na nasunod yung PMS nya
    bigger engine means even if the loss of power due to normal wear and tear, baka same power lang sya ngayon when the 1.3 was new
    better features/better interior materials than the 1.3

Pro 1.3
    malaki yung chance na first time car owner, so iningatan ng husto yung car/malaki din yung chance na ginamit as PUV
    smaller engine, if naka-idle both cars in traffic for an extended time, I'm sure mas matipid sya sa gas.
    BUT (based on experience) if stop and go traffic, depende sa driver, minsan mas matipid yung 1.5
    Ang daming gumamit ng 1.3 version ng Vios... so engine parts are easily available

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    1500cc is more comfortable/no hesitations and "bitin's" in highway/city drive during quick sprints and overtaking, everything else is similar and FC is negligible.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    If I recall correctly, the generation of Vios being asked around year 2015, the more efficient one was actually the 1.5, even for city driving.

The Vios gen here bulked up but retained the 1.3 engine.

When the first gen Vios came here, the 1.3 was more than ample and it definitely was a fuel sipper. The main advantage of the 1.5 was the available power. Uncle owned a 1.5L first gen AT and that was a blast to drive. =)

But for the 2015 generation, best to opt for the 1.5L engine, be it in Manual or AT trim.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i have a question.
    a little help, please.
    thanks.
    if its a 2015 and below, get the 1.5 engine. Preferably the automatic.

I had a 2014 vios 1.3 Manual. Fuel economy goes to barely 8km/li for regular city driving. Makati traffic will yield barely 5km/li.

Flip side i still have a 2003 vios 1.5 AT. Fuel economy is 11km/li upwards. Vios from 2003-2016 both share the same NZ family engine.

3rd gen vios has a heavier body. Said to have an additional 50kgs from its predecessor kaya malakas sa gas. For people who had 1st or 2nd gen vios, the resounding complain is malakas sa gas ang 3rd gen. Even toyota acknowledges this thats why they brought in a new engine with cvt that is kinda better mated to the body.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast