New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Brand new units:
    Toyota Camry 2.4V (1.8M pesos) vs Ford Explorer (2.3M pesos?)?

Alin mas maganda for an executive car? Criteria:

1) Value for money
    2) Gasoline mileage
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs
    4) Porma image
    5) Resale value
    6) Ride comfort

Your thoughts and inputs please.
    Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    1) Value for money - Camry
    2) Gasoline mileage - Camry
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs - Camry
    4) Porma image - Camry
    5) Resale value - Camry
    6) Ride comfort - Camry

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by civic1990 View Post
    Brand new units:
    Toyota Camry 2.4V (1.8M pesos) vs Ford Explorer (2.3M pesos?)?

Alin mas maganda for an executive car? Criteria:

1) Value for money
    2) Gasoline mileage
    3) Build quality and Maintenance costs
    4) Porma image
    5) Resale value
    6) Ride comfort

Your thoughts and inputs please.
    Thanks.

1. Value For Money:

Explorer > Camry
    (Lots of metal, lots of space, lots of toys, rugged ladder frame mated to a sophisticated independent suspension... etcetera... the Camry gives you lots of toys, too... but obviously not as much space.)

2. Gasoline Mileage:

Camry>>>Explorer
    (Errh... obviously)

3. Build Quality, Maintenance Cost

Camry>>Explorer
    (Build quality is okay on the Explorer, but it's got a host of cheap plastics. Bigger car = bigger bills, and they don't come much bigger than the Explorer... unless you're looking at Suburbans and Expeditions)

4. Porma

Camry=Explorer
    (beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I like the Accord better than either)

5. Resale Value

Camry>>>>>Explorer
    (the Explorer is a big, 4 liter SUV. The negative connotations associated with that make resale value horrible)

6. Ride Comfort

Explorer>Camry
    (both are very comfortable, but the Explorer has more space, a waftier ride and plusher seats).

-

Which would I pick?

Neither. Give me a Legacy GT wagon...
    Last edited by niky; March 28th, 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hmm. First of all, the Camry 2.4 V's just 1.68M, 1.7 if you get it in pearl white.

Since you're considering a 2.35 million peso SUV, then I guess it's better for you to look at the 3.5Q since you have the budget anyway

1. Value for Money: Well. They both have a lot of toys. The Camry (both 2.4 and 3.5) has HID, Push-button startup, Power front and rear seats, etc. The Explorer has a DVD-entertainment system. The thing is, for 2.35 million, the lack of 4WD for the Explorer is weird. For me the Camry is a more practical car.

2. Gas Mileage: For a 2-ton vehicle with a 4.0 SOHC engine, the Explorer does pretty well with 4.5-6 km/l. With that said, it's still nothing compared to the Camry 2.4V, which does anywhere between 6-8 km/l. What's interesting is that the 3.5Q Camry also consumes somewhere between that range, 5.5-8 km/l from what I've heard and read.

3. Build Quality and Maintenance: Since I could remember, the Explorer has always had a cheap feeling in its interior plastic, no matter how many facelifts its gone through. The Camry feels much better built for me. I know a lot hate the faux wood, but if you can live with that, the Camry's got great build. And obviously, maintenance costs for an American SUV like the Explorer is much higher than for the Japanese Camry.

4. Porma: while the Camry is a more common car, a lot of people recognize its luxury more than an Explorer. Personally I think the Camry has more "dating" than the Explorer.

5. Resale value: Not a lot of people want to buy a gaz-guzzler that's hard to maintain, so Camry obviously has the ace here.

6. Ride Comfort: If you're talking about space, the Explorer wins, no question. If you're talking about the plushness of the ride, perhaps the Camry wins with its soft (and floaty) chassis.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    eto na lang tanong mo sa mga naka-camry

-sinasaluduhan ba sya ng guard kahit napasok sa subd. or golf course na walang sticker
    -pag nag swerve sa edsa pasay u-turn hinhuli ba
    -pag sa vallet sa hotel kuntodo ingat ba mga vallet boys

if camry like that then executive car nga yan. kasi takot mga tao sa executive

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hi guys. Thanks for the quick feedback.

I guess i will forget the Explorer for now. But something else caught my eye as I went and visited some dealer showrooms today. Will begin another thread to compare the Toyota Camry with it.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Executive car:  Toyota Camry vs Ford Explorer