New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Mercedes A160

or SmartCar?
    Last edited by tanoshi_637; October 19th, 2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo error

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Neither. It might help to consider Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Getz, Kia Picanto, or Suzuki Alto, if you're looking for a car within that size range.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Buying one?
    I guess you're prepared to pay more for the maintenance of one of these rare for the RP cars, since you ignored common city cars & subcompact hatchbacks like the Picanto, Spark, Getz, Yaris, Jazz, Swift etc.
    The Smart Fortwo is an interesting unique ride its also more fuel efficient, but being a smaller 2 seater car its not as practical as the bigger 5-seater A160. I guess it all depends on whats more important for you.
    Last edited by AG4; October 19th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Sir, for me I'd go with the A160, because its more comfortable and it is still easy to maneuver around the city. However, it doesn't save as much gas as a Smart ForTwo. But then the Smart has a compromise on it's ride comfort. I don't know so well of maintaining a Smart if it would be more easier to find parts since it shares close to Mitsubishi 660cc engines.
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Commuter car or high class scooter replacement? For the price range of these two babies, there's a lot of bigger metal out there that's just as economical or more economical than the A160, and a lot more practical (heck, almost anything is) than the Smart Car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    someday...

magkakaroon ng gawang pinoy ang tatapat sa mga ito...
    (impluwensya ng kababasa ng ibang thread)

"Action without vision is a disaster, Vision without action is just a dream"

IMO

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I had an A160 way back in 1998 when it was launched. At that time (9 years ago) the car was a technological marvel since it already had: Side Airbags, Acceleration Slip Control-ASR, Electronic Stability Program-ESP, Electric Power Steering, Dual Sandwich Floor, Flexible Service System-FSS, and note: Its got Plastic Fenders, and Rear Hatch. All seats are also removable should u want to use it like a minivan. My unit also had a LAMELLA louver sunroof which opens 60% more than a conventional sunroof. The instrument cluster needles even hide from view when the car is off. Ignition cranks itself, u dont have to hold onto the key to start it up, just twist, and it does ther rest. Smaller details....all windows have auto up/down feature with pinch protection, if u turn off the rear windows from the front, the rear window switches do not illuminate. It cost P1.7M back in 1998. (btw, the pic u attached, the rims do not seem to match the car, get the orginal ones should u purchase it)

Things that new 2007 LOCAL cars do not even have. So its not comparable to the Picanto, Swift, Yaris etc..... Imo. And the Benz is heavy, i can hardly push it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i did a consulting project with Daimler a long time ago. during this project i got to visit their A-class factory in Cordoba, Argentina.

the A-class is truly a Benz in many ways, imo. engineered for safety, it did not spare any comfort or luxury features (of course, you can't expect it to have everything that an S-Class has, but it has a lot of goodies for its class) and top-line materials. it's also a little bit bigger than the Smart, which gives me claustrophobia if i so much as look at it.

it's not engineered for high performance, as bruno mentions, but it's adequate for low-speed tooling around town.

i think the A-class is a very very small car that still manages to coddle and protect its occupants. the Smart is more like a big scooter or toy.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno787 View Post
    I had an A160 way back in 1998 when it was launched. At that time (9 years ago) the car was a technological marvel since it already had: Side Airbags, Acceleration Slip Control-ASR, Electronic Stability Program-ESP, Electric Power Steering, Dual Sandwich Floor, Flexible Service System-FSS, and note: Its got Plastic Fenders, and Rear Hatch. All seats are also removable should u want to use it like a minivan. My unit also had a LAMELLA louver sunroof which opens 60% more than a conventional sunroof. The instrument cluster needles even hide from view when the car is off. Ignition cranks itself, u dont have to hold onto the key to start it up, just twist, and it does ther rest. Smaller details....all windows have auto up/down feature with pinch protection, if u turn off the rear windows from the front, the rear window switches do not illuminate. It cost P1.7M back in 1998. (btw, the pic u attached, the rims do not seem to match the car, get the orginal ones should u purchase it)

Things that new 2007 LOCAL cars do not even have. So its not comparable to the Picanto, Swift, Yaris etc..... Imo. And the Benz is heavy, i can hardly push it.
    How was the maintenance sir? What kind of stuff that usually goes wrong in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    i did a consulting project with Daimler a long time ago. during this project i got to visit their A-class factory in Cordoba, Argentina.

the A-class is truly a Benz in many ways, imo. engineered for safety, it did not spare any comfort or luxury features (of course, you can't expect it to have everything that an S-Class has, but it has a lot of goodies for its class) and top-line materials. it's also a little bit bigger than the Smart, which gives me claustrophobia if i so much as look at it.

it's not engineered for high performance, as bruno mentions, but it's adequate for low-speed tooling around town.

i think the A-class is a very very small car that still manages to coddle and protect its occupants. the Smart is more like a big scooter or toy.
    I wasn't expecting a serious reply.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Drey,

I only drove it for 13,000kms from new before i sold it. It was the sport/Avantgarde version. It had a stiff ride, but very stable at high speeds, just like any other benz. It cornered well since it had a lowered sport suspension.

Maintenance??? You only change oil when the On-board computer tells you to. Its around every 15,000kms or 12-14months whichever comes first. All you have to do is change oil (4L of Mobil 1) and Oil Filter for (P1200). Sparkplugs cost P750 each, Airfilter around P1800. All 1999 prices.

Labor charge before was P15,000 for computer diagnosis, but now, it doesnt cost as much, sumthin like P4,000 for diagnosis and a flat rate of P1200-1600 per hour sa Casa.

Things that go wrong??? it was a reliable benz, but the ELECTRIC Power Steering can go bust when u drive the car over floods since its located at the lowest portion behind the front bumper. Cost? P29,000 in year 2000. Also try to check if the power windows dont stick to the window strips.

The one pictured above is a later model, long wheelbase version, elegance/luxury variant A160 (with wrong amg wheels).

The smart on the pic is an early model four2, since later versions sported amoeba/eight digit look headlamps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mercedes A180 vs SmartCar