New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Id like to know what is more fuel efficient a 2.4 toyota camry or a 2.3 ford escape .

assuming all being equal and will be used sa city driving

I cant decide what to buy na second hand. I currently have an old 2.0 Camry that i get 7km/l city driving.

Id like to change the car na to a newer model 2008-09 and FC is one of the factors im considering.

Thanks

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    The camry will be more efficient, but not by much
    It should match your older camry's 7km/l
    Escapes are known to do 5-6 in the city

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Both Camry (or any other midsize car) and the Escape are not known for good FC. Between the two, I'd take the Camry.

Get a 2008-09 Civic FD or Altis. They will be more efficient compared to the Camry or Escape. Open to a diesel-powered car, get a 2009-2011 Ford Focus TDCi. It will be much more fuel efficient.

If you limit your options to midsize cars, I'd go for a 8th gen (2008-2012) Accord 3.5L V6. It is priced about the same as the lower trim 2.4L model in the used market but you get more features plus its fuel efficiency is about the same due to VCM (variable cylinder management).
    Last edited by Egan101; July 10th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you're coming from a 2.0L midsize, and want more fuel efficiency, this is not the way to go. These cars you have in mind may be fuel efficient in the highway, but would guzzle gas in rush hour city driving.

Our Accord 2.4 gets 7km/L AT BEST in city driving, with a feather light right foot.

Your options would be to downsize to compact sedans, get a CRV R20 (manual, for best FC), or go diesel.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I also had a 2.4 accord 2007 and it doesn't reach 7 km/LI.

Plus I don't like the ride of the accord. That's why I sold it.

The camry is like driving while sitting on a la z boy and they say that the escape also has a similar ride. Only noisier. The camry is well insulated.

The reviews here are mixed with the escape. And most it seems that it is more efficient than the camry 2.4 getting 7-8 city driving.

The focus I read has so many transmission problems more if it's the power shift model.

I also like the focus turbo diesel but the transmission seems to be very disappointing with so much complaints. I'd prefer auto trannys

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    If you want an efficient lazy boy you should look for diesel SUVs such as the Montero, Sorento, or Santa Fe
    Much has been said about the ride quality of the early fortuners so you should avoid that.
    Otherwise get a camry

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    I also had a 2.4 accord 2007 and it doesn't reach 7 km/LI.

Plus I don't like the ride of the accord. That's why I sold it.

The camry is like driving while sitting on a la z boy and they say that the escape also has a similar ride. Only noisier. The camry is well insulated.

The reviews here are mixed with the escape. And most it seems that it is more efficient than the camry 2.4 getting 7-8 city driving.

The focus I read has so many transmission problems more if it's the power shift model.

I also like the focus turbo diesel but the transmission seems to be very disappointing with so much complaints. I'd prefer auto trannys

We have a 2.3L Tribute, and it doesn't get much better gas mileage than the Accord. It's been known to reach 7km/L, but no higher. I suppose this is very much dependent on the route and driving style. Ride quality is good, and it feels very solidly built (which it is), but it's nowhere as comfortable as a Camry, or even an Accord. Performance is definitely inferior to the Accord (We have the 2005 2.4) and the gas needle drops quickly if pushed hard.

How much is the budget, by the way?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I understand that the Mazda tribute is the escape but built with stiffer suspension for more driving ooomf.

I can accept 6-7 kms/li. I have always been biased with the quality and ride comfort of the camry

A couple of years ago someone told me to try the accord so I got an 07 accord and it was ok but stiffer than the camry.

The plan was to replace the 2003 camry with the 2007 accord. It did not turn out that way. Ended up selling the accord due to the comfort.

Now I know If I get the 08 camry I'll be happy and sell the 03 camry. But I still want to give the escape a chance.

Btw I also have a 03 crv and ride is great but it's noisy compared to the camry. Road noise is significant.

Budget is 600t max

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    The montero is out of budget I'm afraid. And it's such a common vehicle thus id pass.

I like the focus tdci but the power shift is a real turn off

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    The montero is out of budget I'm afraid. And it's such a common vehicle thus id pass.

I like the focus tdci but the power shift is a real turn off

Perhaps you'd like to consider car-based diesel MPVs like the Carens and Carnival CRDi. They're more comfortable than SUVs, and can give a VGT Monty a run for it's money. You pretty much get everything you want. It just doesn't look as cool.

I've ridden a friend's Camry and I agree with you. The Camry was practically floating!

Before we had the Tribute, we had a 2003 Escape. I'd say the difference in ride quality is hardly noticeable. Though the Tribute does seem to have much lighter steering. Both also have trashy resale value. Great if the car is for keeps, but not if you plan to sell it anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2008 Toyota camry vs escape FC