New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Altis units made in 2008-2012 with the 1ZZ-FE (1.8) or 3ZZ (1.6) seems to have stabilized at the 200-300k mark, I'm looking for a 2nd hand unit for my dad who drives everyday in Manila traffic. His other car is a 2012 Fortuner 2.5 A/T, so automatic is a no-brainer and road comfort is the main priority.

I've read that the ZZ engine's main issue are high oil consumption due to faulty design in the piston rings in high mileage engines. But I am able to find low mileage Altises (as low as 14K KM reading).

Are they still a good buy? In terms of maintenance and fuel consumption? Or are there better alternatives now for the money?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You can opt for a Civic FD 1.8L (2006-2011) instead. I have nothing against the Altis but the Civic FD is as reliable and a better car overall.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    You can opt for a Civic FD 1.8L (2006-2011) instead. I have nothing against the Altis but the Civic FD is as reliable and a better car overall.
    I haven't researched much about the FD (but will get into it esp the engine issues soon), but can you give me a few points how it ranks above the Altis for you?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    I haven't researched much about the FD (but will get into it esp the engine issues soon), but can you give me a few points how it ranks above the Altis for you?
    Maintenance and fuel consumption among compacts like the Civic and Altis are about the same. Interior space is also around the same. However, the Civic FD drives better than the Altis.

If are looking for something more fuel efficient and still has decent interior space, I suggest you look into the Honda City 1.5L (2009-2013).

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    no 2 second hand cars are the same...

so I suggest na piliin mo yung mas maayos na car...

less mileage, better maintenance and better owner

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Wrong post

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
    Altis units made in 2008-2012 with the 1ZZ-FE (1.8) or 3ZZ (1.6) seems to have stabilized at the 200-300k mark, I'm looking for a 2nd hand unit for my dad who drives everyday in Manila traffic. His other car is a 2012 Fortuner 2.5 A/T, so automatic is a no-brainer and road comfort is the main priority.

I've read that the ZZ engine's main issue are high oil consumption due to faulty design in the piston rings in high mileage engines. But I am able to find low mileage Altises (as low as 14K KM reading).

Are they still a good buy? In terms of maintenance and fuel consumption? Or are there better alternatives now for the money?
    The 10th gen Corolla Altis is one of the most comfortable cars in its segment during its time. I personally have a 2009 1.6V A/T, and the ride comfort and NVH/ noise insulation is very satisfactory.

Performance wise, i suggest you get the 2.0V model, as the 1.6 3ZZ engine struggles quite a bit. Later 3ZR 1.6 units (2010-2012) were quite improved due to the Dual VVTi. The ZZ engines were only used from 2008-early 2010.

Common issues of this model are the melting dashboard (a number of 10th gen Altis units had their dashboards replaced by Toyota via a silent recall), and the rack and pinion bushing.

Goodluck on your purchase!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ARRESOLIYAT View Post
    You can opt for a Civic FD 1.8L (2006-2011) instead. I have nothing against the Altis but the Civic FD is as reliable and a better car overall. Dafont Showbox Adam4adam
    really!
    how so?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ARRESOLIYAT View Post
    You can opt for a Civic FD 1.8L (2006-2011) instead. I have nothing against the Altis but the Civic FD is as reliable and a better car overall. Dafont Showbox Adam4adam
    Troll alert. Kinopya ulit yung prior post ko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Troll alert. Kinopya ulit yung prior post ko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hindi naman.
    he/she simply re-iterated your opinion, passing it off as his/her own, without citing his/her sources.

errr...
    naka-walo na. baka puede nang mag-start ng sariling thread.
    Last edited by dr. d; January 3rd, 2020 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast