New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Good day guys. Newbie here. We're planning to buy a used car and I saw this Honda Accord 1996 A/T on Facebook for 100K, but according to the seller it is still "very negotiable".
    Car still looks good based on the pics (will be attaching some).
    If ever it will primarily be used on weekdays (school-home v.v) and mga lakad narin.

Now I've heard this specific car isn't particularly fuel efficient but I don't really mind since hindi naman sobrang traffic dito sa probinsiya and di naman kalayuan.

My other concern is with the transmission since I've read about problems with this car's A/T.

Other issues: slight problem with the passenger side door handle (fixable DAW)

Ang kaso lang nawala daw yung orig CR, photocopy lang meron sakanya. Di pa kami nakapagusap regarding this kung paano.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peach186 View Post
    Good day guys. Newbie here. We're planning to buy a used car and I saw this Honda Accord 1996 A/T on Facebook for 100K, but according to the seller it is still "very negotiable".
    If ever it will primarily be used on weekdays (school-home v.v) and mga lakad narin.

Now I've heard this specific car isn't particularly fuel efficient but I don't really mind since hindi naman sobrang traffic dito sa probinsiya and di naman kalayuan.

My other concern is with the transmission since I've read about problems with this car's A/T.

Ang kaso lang nawala daw yung orig CR, photocopy lang meron sakanya. Di pa kami nakapagusap regarding this kung paano.

if your seller is the one whose name is on the xerox CR, then you can request for a new CR, this time under your name. seller-owner will just make an affidavit of loss.
    but if your seller's name is not the one on the xerox CR, walk away, sir. that is a potential big headache.

repairing these bigger cars is not impossible, just more expensive and a bit more difficult, as they did not sell in as large a number as the smaller cars.

the main reason (for me) why these used, bigger cars have a not-so-good selling price , is their fuel appetite.

but i think no one will decry their ride comfort.

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if your seller is the one whose name is on the xerox CR, then you can request for a new CR, this time under your name. seller-owner will just make an affidavit of loss.
    but if your seller's name is not the one on the xerox CR, walk away, sir. that is a potential big headache.

repairing these bigger cars is not impossible, just more expensive and a bit more difficult, as they did not sell in as large a number as the smaller cars.

the main reason (for me) why these used, bigger cars have a not-so-good selling price , is their fuel appetite.

but i think no one will decry their ride comfort.
    Thank you sir. Will try to ask her that pag nagmeet kami.
    With regards to the transmission, how do I know if it's okay pa (sorry for the noobish question haha)

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thank you sir. Will try to ask her that pag nagmeet kami.
    With regards to the transmission, how do I know if it's okay pa (sorry for the noobish question haha)

"i do not know."
    let us wait for the other post-ers.

btw, don't always believe the "madaling ayusin" spiel. if that were true, they would have fixed it already, before putting it up for sale.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 14th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008

My father used to have a 1997 Accord VTi A/T and all of us have very fond memories of it, but that was way back in the early 2000s. Assuming that it is in good condition, it is a very good car. Cabin space and ride comfort are top rate even by today's standards. Performance is good though my father notes that the older EXi M/T (which a relative used to have and that he had driven on multiple occasions) is still better than the more powerful VTi A/T.

Yes, we did have a transmission replacement when the car was with us. It was done after the car bogged down after crossing a flooded area. But apparently it wasn't the flood that caused the failure but rather a frequent use of "D3", at least according to the casa. I still have no idea why that would cause transmission failure but whatever it was obviously did as the car refused to move at all, and cost 200k to replace in Honda Quezon Avenue at the time. IIRC, that was around 2002 so the car was 5 years old at the time and had only ran 40+tkms.

If you are worried about transmission problems, better to get the M/T for total peace of mind. Also be mindful of what the good doctor said about the documentation. If you are not satisfied with the unit, simply walk away. There are many more of those out there. Lastly, take note that registration of midsize sedans below 2000 year model is around 6k/year as opposed to just 2k+ for year model 2000 and above. So only buy if you really, really like the car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    My father used to have a 1997 Accord VTi A/T and all of us have very fond memories of it, but that was way back in the early 2000s. Assuming that it is in good condition, it is a very good car. Cabin space and ride comfort are top rate even by today's standards. Performance is good though my father notes that the older EXi M/T (which a relative used to have and that he had driven on multiple occasions) is still better than the more powerful VTi A/T.

Yes, we did have a transmission replacement when the car was with us. It was done after the car bogged down after crossing a flooded area. But apparently it wasn't the flood that caused the failure but rather a frequent use of "D3", at least according to the casa. I still have no idea why that would cause transmission failure but whatever it was obviously did as the car refused to move at all, and cost 200k to replace in Honda Quezon Avenue at the time. IIRC, that was around 2002 so the car was 5 years old at the time and had only ran 40+tkms.

If you are worried about transmission problems, better to get the M/T for total peace of mind. Also be mindful of what the good doctor said about the documentation. If you are not satisfied with the unit, simply walk away. There are many more of those out there. Lastly, take note that registration of midsize sedans below 2000 year model is around 6k/year as opposed to just 2k+ for year model 2000 and above. So only buy if you really, really like the car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Wow so parang medyo risky yata.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Wow so parang medyo risky yata.

might i ask, why consider the accord at all?
    ang dami naman diyang ibang kotse that are arguably a lot easier to deal with, documentation-wise and maintenance-wise.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 14th, 2018 at 01:45 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    only way to test the transmission is drive the car. if you arrive at the sellers place and the car is warm. there could be some trasmission slip

FOCUS

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    only way to test the transmission is drive the car. if you arrive at the sellers place and the car is warm. there could be some trasmission slip

FOCUS
    they warm up the trans, so's the defect won't show too much during the test-drive?

10. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    might i ask, why consider the accord at all?
    ang dami naman diyang ibang kotse that are arguably a lot easier to deal with, documentation-wise and maintenance-wise.
    We were choosing between Civic and this. Pero relatively mas mahal kasi ang Civic.

Anyway, what can you recommend ba sir? Budget around 100K.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast