New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Newbie po. Just wanted to get your "expert" opinion/s. Aside from the given that the explorer sport trac is a gas guzzler, is it true in general that ford parts are really, REALLY expensive or is this a myth? Its understandable that it may cost more than toyota/ honda parts, Im just concerned because we all know what buying 2nd hand (or any car for that matter) entails - eventually something will break down that you need to have repaired/ replaced.
    I just need some perspective... kasi obviously na-justify ko na ang pagbili nito. I guess I need someone to point out to me any cons or potential problems that I will face if I buy such a truck...
    Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende sa condition ng mabibili mo. Generally trucks (like sport trac, dmax or any pick-up per se) will last longer than a car...having said that, I meant that unless you are regularly hauling something and loading it with 500 to 1000kg of stuff, then there is no way that you can "destroy" it.

Dampers will probably need replacing only once on it lifetime, bushings maybe twice in its lifetime, clutch and tranny may never need replacement, brake pads may be three times in its lifetime.

Loading the pick-up with excess loads near 1000kg will definitely make the dampers last shorter life, clutch lining and brakes faster wear and bushings too will have a shorter life. Driving long distances also will add faster wear on the clutch and brakes.

Pero kung daily drive with minimal load (5 persons lagi) lang it will surely last another 5 to 10 years with minimal replacement.

Ang mahal lang naman sa ganyan ay fuel. Then engine (if properly maintained) will probably be fault free until it retires. If merun O2 sensor yan, baka isa iyan sa papalitan mo two or three times in its lifetime.

Batteries, sparkplugs, filters will be living its normal life.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks... that was something... you got me at "minimal" use, less than 25% for hauling stuff. Thanks again...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    ang spare parts ng ford are relatively cheap..well at least for the ranger/everest and lynx models which are mazdas rebadged. mas mahal lang ng konti kung sa expedition, sporttrac and explorer siguro. wildthing is right, ford trucks are almost indestructible.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung gusto mong makatipid sa PMS ng ganyan, ask a casa or shop that allows you to buy your own filters and oil.

I don't see a need for synthetic oils if frequent ka naman gumamit at ang 5000 km can be used up in a month or two. Pero kung more than 3 months bago mo abutin ang 5000 km, using a better oil filter, fuel filter and better oil will give advantage sa ride mo lalo na kung second hand.

Try to get a casa maintained second hand...you can always verify the service record of the vehicle sa casa kung tutuong casa maintained.

If DIYer ka naman, get a service/repair manual of the sport trac (I'm sure available yan sa internet at about $30-50 range) and do most of the repairs on your own.

Dahil EFI yan, electronic tune-up na lang halos ang pinakamahirap without necessary equipments.

Furthermore, doing a compression test on all the pistons would be a good diagnostic test to see if the engine is still in good condition.

If I have the budget, I would get me one...a 4x4 would be nice hehehe.

pros/cons of 2nd hand sport trac